Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 09:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times

Advertisements

Time for a dumb question that has really bothered me for a while.

So I have posted before that I am a semi-native, born in the South Bay, and I moved away as a preteen and came back for college. As a kid we rarely went to other parts of the Bay Area, so I did not have much of a concept or impression of them. I don't remember calling the different areas of the bay as "zones" other than the north bay, but I could be mistaken. Although my dad made the rounds. And I do remember long car rides to other parts of the Bay Area, I really didn't know much about them. My parents are transplants and moved here in adulthood, our family has no California roots. I have a handful of other relatives who came at about the same time as well.

But anyway, back to my point. Going to college, meeting people from other parts if the Bay Area, is where I heard a lot more about these divisions and stereotypes of each area. But what I find is extremely pervasive, is the idea that the entire "east bay" is like Berkeley or Oakland. It is really weird. I have met people for suburban parts of the east bay who preface their statement with "I am from the outer east bay or Far East bay" as if to distance themselves. Or use a completely separately term like Livermore Valley or Tri-Valley. Or even just say Contra Costa County.

Still other people, to vastly stereotype, they tend to be from the Peninsula, who think the entire "east bay" is like Deep East Oakland. Sure there are parts of the greater Bay Area that are more monolithic in form and personality, but oddly the place that is the least monolithic is the mostly likely to be perceived that way. And arguably the east bay actually has the most diverse mix of communities in all of the Bay Area.

So what's the deal everyone, how did this happen? Why is the general perception that all of the east bay is the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 09:37 PM

82 posts, read 132,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
...Why is the general perception that all of the east bay is the same?
Same reason why Donald Sterling generalizes certain races/ethnicities. Ignorance.

If you ask people from the South what kind of people live in SF, what do you think they will say and why? Ignorance.

Yes, ignorance exists - fyi. Have you heard of ignorance before?

Old 05-18-2014, 11:12 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Add "East" to anything and the preception is already half way there...

Old 05-18-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Add "East" to anything and the preception is already half way there...
East Palo Alto (which does not reside in the East Bay)

how'd i do?

Old 05-18-2014, 11:35 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Since the Bay Area is completely SF-centric, the only East Bay cities most Friscans would consider living (Berkeley, and over the past 10 years Oakland) are the only cities considered "East Bay". It could also be that everywhere not Oakland or Berkeley are considered suburbs, not independant cities.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:16 AM

2,199 posts, read 3,357,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Still other people, to vastly stereotype, they tend to be from the Peninsula, who think the entire "east bay" is like Deep East Oakland. Sure there are parts of the greater Bay Area that are more monolithic in form and personality, but oddly the place that is the least monolithic is the mostly likely to be perceived that way. And arguably the east bay actually has the most diverse mix of communities in all of the Bay Area.

So what's the deal everyone, how did this happen? Why is the general perception that all of the east bay is the same?
Who are these people your speaking of? I'm from SF, live on the peninsula, and I really don't believe anyone i know would feel all of the east bay is the same. Most friends/family have connections to the east bay and it's various cities (friends/family who may live there and they visit), they attend events there from time to time, and while they (and I) may not be familiar with the differences between all east bay cities, they are aware that they are not one and the same.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:47 AM

OP

1) this never happened
2) it is not the same and it never was

Old 05-19-2014, 10:11 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,312 times
Fremont to Antioch, that's like 10 minutes, right?

Old 05-19-2014, 11:07 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
People tend to look down upon the East Bay because it's mostly cheaper than SF, most of the North Bay, and the Peninsula and it has several less desirable areas with lots of crime (parts of Oakland, Richmond, Hayward, Pittsburgh, etc). I've heard some really snotty remarks from people who live in Lamorinda saying they're afraid to go on the other side of the tunnel (meaning Oakland), and the 680 corridor is super wealthy/exclusive, so they don't want to be affiliated with the inner-East Bay urban cities. Oddly enough, the East Bay is the most populous and diverse region in the Bay Area, both geographically, politically, and demographically, with something to offer for everyone. Snobs will be snobs, I guess. If you paint the entire region with a broad brush, you're really missing out though- it's by far the most eclectic part of the whole Bay Area.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:16 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
I've been called a Bridge and Tunnel person by SF residents several times...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland