Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:23 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,140,962 times

Advertisements

I've notice a lot of negativity about living in the Bay Area by those who lament that it's unaffordable or restrictively Liberal in its politics. But, what about the rest of us? What about those of us who are good at what we do for a living, and as such, came to the Bay Area to find a vibrant job market full of opportunity, expensive yet affordable housing, and quality of life indices that are off the chart?

For instance, I woke up today and felt kind of lazy. I watched the Giants game (10:30 start, because it was an away game), while I ate a sandwich made at a place on my block, which I walked to get. It was grilled Petaluma chicken, avocado, local bacon, etc. on Acme bread. I drank a local IPA with the sandwich. At the end of the game, my wife and I decided to go over to Treasure Island (admittedly random idea) to do some wine tasting-- there are 5-6 good wineries there. It took us 20 minutes to get to the island. We spent nearly two hours tasting wine and chatting with the winemakers who showed us around their property and explained the subtleties of the six wines they were sampling.

We then took in the view from Yerba Buena for awhile and headed back to the City, across the Bay Bridge. There was a good chop on the Bay and a lot of sailboats were out. I had the sunroof open and could smell eucalyptus in the salt air. The fog was pouring over Twin Peaks and wrapping itself around Sutro Tower. Alcatraz was fully socked in, but the sky was clear over the City and the sun was golden. It was picture-perfect, with lots of activity on the street, cable cars clanging, and tourists snapping shots of stuff I take for granted. We went the long way home, up through Chinatown and Nob Hill. Our soundtrack was acoustic singer/songwriters singing the virtues of California. It was impossible to disagree at this point.

Polk street was busy. We went 5MPH all the way from Pacific to Union. Lots of people were dining at sidewalk eateries, shopping at stores, or just walking. We parked in the basement of our building. Walked upstairs and cracked a bottle of old vine Zinfandel we picked up a few weeks ago in the Russian River Valley. We thought it would go well with the leftover Paxti's deep-dish pie with the fresh ricotta we had from last night.

While heating that up, the sun started setting through the fog advancing over the Presidio. The fog horns were already blaring from the Golden Gate Bridge out my open window. The air smelled like a flower shop. I put on some Miles.

Life was good.

Say what you want about how overpriced or crazy Liberal California is. If it suits your place in the world, there's nothing like a California lifestyle. My above description is the kind of thing people would plan for weeks for their vacation. We did it on a whim without even thinking.

Do I miss my 3000 square foot house in Texas? Not in the slightest.

Last edited by dalparadise; 06-01-2014 at 09:35 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 09:38 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
YEAH! That's one thing I've always loved about much of the Bay Area, and it's what I always miss when I live elsewhere: the walkability. The great grocery stores, the fab locally-made specialty breads, the VIEWS, and for sure--the cable cars in SF! And don't forget the redwoods, in the east Bay, as well as north and south Bay, and the eucalyptus.

Outdoor concerts in Stern Grove!

Glad you're enjoying yourself in Baghdad-by-the-Bay. Great thread!

Old 06-01-2014, 10:11 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,168,795 times
Gotta love the hubris and classism under the guise of a cheerleading thread.

From a transplant.

Would be concerned, if it were not so cliche at this point.

I don't know if you need a hobby, a spouse, or a bible (maybe all three), but try humility next time. Much less off-putting.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:14 PM

23,574 posts, read 24,096,042 times
I am a Bay Area native, but did live for more than 20+ years in Southern California, before returning back "home". The great job market (I work in technology sales) and the presence of my family and the general weather and culture of the Bay Area is what keeps my family and I here. It is expensive, but I believe that an environment with a good quality life will be expensive.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Gotta love the hubris and classism under the guise of a cheerleading thread.

From a transplant.

Would be concerned, if it were not so cliche at this point.

I don't know if you need a hobby, a spouse, or a bible (maybe all three), but try humility next time. Much less off-putting.
I have hobbies and a spouse (both noted in my post), but no need for a bible. What about a simple trip half-way across the Bay Bridge lacks humility in your estimation? Please make a point if you are able...

Surely your best criticism of me isn't the fact that I wasn't born here. That's an awfully pretentious, stereotypical San Francisco position. Especially coming from the distant Oakland suburbs.

Last edited by dalparadise; 06-01-2014 at 10:31 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 10:29 PM

I had no idea there were wineries on TI! Thanks for posting, dal.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:37 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,168,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I have hobbies and a spouse (both noted in my post), but no need for a bible. What about a simple trip half-way across the Bay Bridge lacks humility in your estimation? Please make a point if you are able...
I believe I have made my point already. Your lifestyle is no more the real life style than the eldery retiree who struggles to put on socks and pour a cup of coffee.

You are no better than the ditch digger who works their hardest and struggles to make ends meet.

I don't know what rest of us, you refer to. Well I do, but I don't have good opinions of people who are only concerned about 'the rest of us'.

At the very least, the irony of your post in which you dismiss detractors of liberalism yet display classism, should not be lost.

Try humility instead of hubris.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:41 PM

His "lifestyle"? He walked down the block for a sandwich, and took a Sunday drive around town. And somebody has a problem with that??

Old 06-01-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I had no idea there were wineries on TI! Thanks for posting, dal.
They are of fairly good quality, but are relatively expensive for tastings. Oh well...

The trade-off is the attention you get from the wine makers. It's a lot of fun and lacks all the pretense of many of the Wine Country tasting rooms.

Just hanging out on the island is a nice getaway. It's quiet and the views are incredible. Worth a trip, for sure.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:01 PM

136 posts, read 197,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Life was good.
Indeed it is. Don't know why people give you grief for loving your life in a very, very beautiful place. I for one am tired of people bitching about SF on this forum. If it was as bad as the people on this forum make it out to be, no one would live here.

I spent Saturday hanging out with my grandchildren in Douglas Park in Noe Valley. Lots of beautiful parents and kids out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland