Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 09:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I guess we can put words in people's mouths now.

"Working hard" does not mean someone gets what they want. "Working hard" means learning a skill that someone will pay you to do at a rate that allows you to live at a means you are comfortable.

If people were working at bettering their marketable skills then they would be able to afford to live in the mission.

Sometimes groups stagnate in the economy and get passed by, it has happened here in the mission, it has happened many other places, such as in the Midwest when factories close down. Sometimes that means you have to do something you don't want to do, like relocate to a different area that you can afford or learn a new skill that can help with employment.

Do you want to know a secrete? If you are learning a marketable skill after you have been laid off or once you cannot afford rent you waited too long.
So I guess we don't need people to do the low wage jobs that make the world go round. I don't like picking our food, picking up our garbage, collecting the mail, staffing the stores and restaurants or teaching our kids. Should those people just live on mars or do we outsource it to computers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 09:57 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Finally, something I can agree with you on. Here's the problem: Where are these people supposed to go to get the education to get those "marketable skills" you were talking about when the vast majority of the educational resources and opportunities are in (you guessed it) SF and the central Bay Area? How are they supposed to be able to afford commuting to the city on even lower wages than what they made in the city (newsflash: minimum wage is much lower in Stockton)? How well-prepared are their kids going to be for their future in the ****iest school districts in the state? That is, a future that doesn't include prison.

Again, I'm not going to attempt to change your worldview because clearly it works for you. You happen to be making the gross presumption that your worldview works for everyone else.
I hope your not arguing for people staying in the mission for the school districts. A child's education is more linked to the home environment and the importance placed on education than what school district a child attends.

You get those skills at community and state colleges. Amazingly, all those cities are near community and state colleges. Or you can get into the trades with apprentaships and those are available at all those cities as well.

My world view works for me because I don't spend my life as a perpetual victim blaiming others for my failures. When I don't get a job or promotion I ask myself what I could do differently to get the desired outcome in the future, not blame others or the "system."

You live in the world of the soft racism of low expectations.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So I guess we don't need people to do the low wage jobs that make the world go round. I don't like picking our food, picking up our garbage, collecting the mail, staffing the stores and restaurants or teaching our kids. Should those people just live on mars or do we outsource it to computers.
If you cannot find someone to do those jobs then you will have to raise the pay until you do. That is how the market works. If you are worried about the wages of low skilled labor then you should be trying to stop the influx of low skilled labor through the southern border flodding the market.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
If you cannot find someone to do those jobs then you will have to raise the pay until you do. That is how the market works. If you are worried about the wages of low skilled labor then you should be trying to stop the influx of low skilled labor through the southern border flodding the market.
Do we replace schools with webinars? Teachers can't even afford to have a reasonable commute. You cannot have a healthy city when only 2 types of people can live there: uber wealthy people and people who get enough subsidies so they can stay with their meager income as long as they never advance.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Do we replace schools with webinars? Teachers can't even afford to have a reasonable commute. You cannot have a healthy city when only 2 types of people can live there: uber wealthy people and people who get enough subsidies so they can stay with their meager income as long as they never advance.
Then build more housing. Oh wait, the city of SF has shut down just about all development plans and anything that gets approved takes 5-10 years to break ground.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:19 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
I hope your not arguing for people staying in the mission for the school districts. A child's education is more linked to the home environment and the importance placed on education than what school district a child attends.
You're right, a driven home environment will take a child far. However, just how far you go also depends in large part on the larger environment... Most of the employment in Stockton is agriculture-related, a field with a very low emphasis on education. The job opportunities, internship opportunities, etc. afforded by living in SF as opposed to Stockton are too many to name. The analogous community in Stockton to the latino community in the Mission is a whole lot less educated as a whole than the latter. Who wouldn't fight to stay where there are more opportunities for their children?

Quote:
You get those skills at community and state colleges. Amazingly, all those cities are near community and state colleges. Or you can get into the trades with apprentaships and those are available at all those cities as well.
Once again, the majority of these job fields do not actually exist in Stockton and certainly not in significant concentration or mass. It's a very marginally better trade-off to go into significant debt getting an education and then blowing a big chunk of a somewhat bigger paycheck on commuting back to SF for work. It becomes a nightmare the moment kids enter the mix which is also where personal responsibility enters the mix... You're correct that many people make poor choices and don't plan well for their future. Where you're incorrect is assuming the actual opportunity - generational opportunity included - is the same for them vs. their white counterparts.

Quote:
My world view works for me because I don't spend my life as a perpetual victim blaiming others for my failures. When I don't get a job or promotion I ask myself what I could do differently to get the desired outcome in the future, not blame others or the "system."
Very few of the natives of the Mission are "failures" in any sense of the word. Many of them in fact made better of their situation than their parents did but did not receive the money, counseling, support, etc. to be able to reach the perpetually rising bar for surviving in the City in 2014. They have every right to be vocal, angry, etc as opposed to quietly accepting some out of state (and these days out of country) schmucks moving in and deteriorating their livelihood like the City apparently expects them to do.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You're right, a driven home environment will take a child far. However, just how far you go also depends in large part on the larger environment... Most of the employment in Stockton is agriculture-related, a field with a very low emphasis on education. The job opportunities, internship opportunities, etc. afforded by living in SF as opposed to Stockton are too many to name. The analogous community in Stockton to the latino community in the Mission is a whole lot less educated as a whole than the latter. Who wouldn't fight to stay where there are more opportunities for their children?

Once again, the majority of these job fields do not actually exist in Stockton and certainly not in significant concentration or mass. It's a very marginally better trade-off to go into significant debt getting an education and then blowing a big chunk of a somewhat bigger paycheck on commuting back to SF for work. It becomes a nightmare the moment kids enter the mix which is also where personal responsibility enters the mix... You're correct that many people make poor choices and don't plan well for their future. Where you're incorrect is assuming the actual opportunity - generational opportunity included - is the same for them vs. their white counterparts.

Very few of the natives of the Mission are "failures" in any sense of the word. Many of them in fact made better of their situation than their parents did but did not receive the money, counseling, support, etc. to be able to reach the perpetually rising bar for surviving in the City in 2014. They have every right to be vocal, angry, etc as opposed to quietly accepting some out of state (and these days out of country) schmucks moving in and deteriorating their livelihood like the City apparently expects them to do.
I'm not debating the desirability of stocken to SF. The desirability of SF comes with a cost and if you cannot afford that cost then you have to live somewhere else. The simple fact remains that opportunities are available in stocken, though much is agriculture, you are still close to the capital and the palethera of government jobs.

Plus the jobs that only provide enough to live in the mission are available in stocken. You would have an argument if investment bankers were living in the mission, they would not be able to find work in stocken. But the blue collar work that many in the mission do are available in all large cities.

Like I said above, they can be as angry as they want, but it doesn't change a thing. If they want to be mad at someone then be mad at city leaders who stop any growth causing the shortage of housing. I generally find it best to focus my energy on things that I can change, which I see the irony of posting on a forum.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:45 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I'm not even sure how much more housing would be needed to make a dent in what's happening. More people will just move here if there are more places to live, putting us back to where we are now except with higher density. Then when cycles go bust those places sit empty or abandoned or people go bankrupt or neighborhoods are turned into something else that eventually leads to squalor before it all starts again.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:46 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
I'm not debating the desirability of stocken to SF. The desirability of SF comes with a cost and if you cannot afford that cost then you have to live somewhere else. The simple fact remains that opportunities are available in stocken, though much is agriculture, you are still close to the capital and the palethera of government jobs.

Plus the jobs that only provide enough to live in the mission are available in stocken. You would have an argument if investment bankers were living in the mission, they would not be able to find work in stocken. But the blue collar work that many in the mission do are available in all large cities.

Like I said above, they can be as angry as they want, but it doesn't change a thing. If they want to be mad at someone then be mad at city leaders who stop any growth causing the shortage of housing. I generally find it best to focus my energy on things that I can change, which I see the irony of posting on a forum.

That is exactly my point. Pretty much the only work available in Stockton is the blue collar variety and in Central California there's a premium even on that. Many blue collar workers in the Central Valley commute back to the Bay Area for a reason. Blue collar work also tends to be uncannily unstable... If you lose your job there's no equivalent network of support services like there is in SF. If you're unemployed in Stockton you're in real poverty, God forbid you have a family to support.

Who's emphasizing education in that environment? The emphasis is on scraping by. In SF the emphasis is on education even if the public education in the city is lackluster. The CCs and state colleges actively campaign in the neighborhoods (such as the Mission) and actively try to enroll natives... Stockton not so much.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm not even sure how much more housing would be needed to make a dent in what's happening. More people will just move here.
That is the balance that needs to be found.

If you don't build additional housing, the poor will be pushed out.

Ultimatly, these problems are a direct result of the no growth politicians elected and the no growth votes cast by the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland