Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 09:06 PM

3,473 posts, read 5,268,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Thank you! Yes SF seemed more like Boston, DC and Manhattan to me. When I visited the first thing that reminded me of Boston was the apparel. Lots of darker colors, less expressive and North Face fleeces. It was refreshing to not see some of the more flamboyant styles that you see in LA which are more attention grabbing than expressions of style in my opinion.
I agree about the fashions. Big cities tend to have the understated, darker clothes, and in the Bay Area, you'll only find the colorful, flamboyant fashions in some of the outer high end suburbs. So a lot of people think of LA as a snooty, overgrown burb in terms of its urban culture. Of course, it's not just fashion, but that's an interesting example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 09:09 PM

3,473 posts, read 5,268,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
nah, you're still a douchebag for driving those cars, but at least there are tons of other douchebags around to make you feel better for being so ridiculous.
There are plenty of Maseratis and fancy cars in Marin, Walnut Creek, and other cities too -- maybe not so many in SF proper, but SF has the Tesla-driving douchebags. Never seen so many Teslas in my life, and they are the tech-geek's status symbol.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:16 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,475,615 times
Quote:
hahahahahaha
water temps regularly in the 70s in Summer makes SF waters look arctic. so not so funny now right.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:53 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,451,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
There are plenty of Maseratis and fancy cars in Marin, Walnut Creek, and other cities too -- maybe not so many in SF proper, but SF has the Tesla-driving douchebags. Never seen so many Teslas in my life, and they are the tech-geek's status symbol.
Thanks for the entertainment!

Old 09-28-2014, 09:49 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,282,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
water temps regularly in the 70s in Summer makes SF waters look arctic. so not so funny now right.
um, no. Regularly reaching maybe 65 in August is more like it. And even 70 is NOT warm. People in Florida, Mexico, Hawaii, etc would LOL as much as I did at that comment.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
um, no. Regularly reaching maybe 65 in August is more like it. And even 70 is NOT warm. People in Florida, Mexico, Hawaii, etc would LOL as much as I did at that comment.
really spend 5 minutes in SF waters, then our 70 F water would feel like Mexican waters to you.

http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/El-Porto-Beach

our waters are still at 70 F, dropped from the mid 70s in late Aug and mid Sep, (highest it reached was 76 F), other beaches in OC recorded at 77 F, so LOL at that.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:21 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,138,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
What exactly makes a Tesla driver a douchebag? They are very nondescript cars to me--not flashy at all. They look kind of like a Chrysler, actually. They are well-made locally. They aren't loud. They don't pollute. Drivers seem to be older (40s-50s), from whom I've seen, who drive very conservatively. What's the problem?

Old 09-28-2014, 12:29 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrayco View Post
I've lived in or near LA most of my life so I can speak from the other perspective: wanting to move to SF.

One of the things that makes me dream of going further north is the overall cooler temperature. I don't like the heat. Los Angeles does have the beaches, and the excitement of Hollywood glamour and the movie industry, but if you aren't part of it, or aren't excited by it, the attraction dwindles, IMHO.

Despite it being the hub of the entertainment industry, if you are a musician, it's nearly impossible to make a living as a working musician here. Clubs often make you pay them a fee to play. It does have a vibrant arts community, and a lot of interesting lofts downtown. There is an active garment district, lots of great old theaters, and plenty of explore if you are a photographer interested in the capturing the seedy side of glamour.

There are a lot of outdoor recreation opportunities in the LA area, and you can drive from the mountains to the beach in an afternoon. You can camp on the beach, drive to Mexico, or end up in Las Vegas if you change direction. Being a desert climate, there are more dust and rocks than naturally occurring greenery, but you can find pockets of pretty hiking areas such as Griffith Park. There is almost no time of day you won't see traffic, and the public transportation system still leaves a bit to be desired, but it's slowly improving.

There is a certain superficiality that goes with Los Angeles, which revolves around how you make a living, where you live, what car you drive, how good-looking you are and if you are in "the Industry." The closer to the west side you are, the more obvious this becomes. To get away from this, you might move to the Foothills area, where there is still a bit of culture but not less overt superficiality. Often you can even get a small-town vibe.

No matter your predilection, however, in LA there is so much diversity that you will likely be able to find like-minded folks to mingle with.

My desire to move further north could also stem from an urge to have a whole new world-class city to explore, with all the cautions and delights that portends.
YES!! I was born and raised in Cerritos, Ca ( suburb on the LA/OC border), and while it's a nice city, it just gets too hot here, as does most of Southern California in my opinion. I love San Francisco weather; to me, it's perfect. I love cool, cloudy, and foggy. So one of the main reasons I would love to live in SF is because of the weather!
Summer- like weather in So. Cal last about 8 months out of the year; that's too long!

Old 09-28-2014, 05:29 PM

136 posts, read 197,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Quote:
I swim in the bay all year round. Temperatures this week were around 65-67, very high for the SF Bay even at this time of year, the warmest for wwater. To me, the water in LA, which is always close to 70 or above, seems hot.

This winter, in early February, I swam in 49-degree water. Now THAT is cold.

I repeat: As an old man I wouldn't mind living in Venice and swimming in the ocean. It would seem warm to me. Bunghole thinks that's funny because his tiny imagination can't imagine anyone living a life different from his own.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro25 View Post
I swim in the bay all year round. Temperatures this week were around 65-67, very high for the SF Bay even at this time of year, the warmest for wwater. To me, the water in LA, which is always close to 70 or above, seems hot.

This winter, in early February, I swam in 49-degree water. Now THAT is cold.

I repeat: As an old man I wouldn't mind living in Venice and swimming in the ocean. It would seem warm to me. Bunghole thinks that's funny because his tiny imagination can't imagine anyone living a life different from his own.
49 F, how long did you swim for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland