Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 02:16 PM

4,574 posts, read 9,187,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actually, the police put out a bulletin asking for any info re: the whereabouts of the mom.

Your threshold for the type of incident in which violence is needed to resolve conflict is extremely low. Most earthlings prefer to avoid physical conflict and live in a civilized society.
Uh no. Read the news. People are getting killed over literally nothing these days.

We bomb people, for being radical muslims, in their own homeland.

Kids shoot up schools several times a year.

Humans are violent and love violence. Especially Americans.

In cases such as this, violence can be down right beautiful and poetic.

Ahhh, the human condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 02:40 PM

36,699 posts, read 67,760,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Yeah that's focus on the hipster with bad teeth, instead of the elephant mom who weighs 400lbs. Such maturity and insight.
"Maturity and Insight" indeed.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:41 PM

36,699 posts, read 67,760,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Yeah that's focus on the hipster with bad teeth, instead of the elephant mom who weighs 400lbs. Such maturity and insight.
"maturity and insight" indeed.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:53 PM

6,421 posts, read 8,313,398 times
C'mon Monty, you know what I meant.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:23 PM

4,574 posts, read 9,187,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
"maturity and insight" indeed.
Cosigned.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:59 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,176,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
The child did not seem to be with the mom in the video. She probably put the kid in the car before unloading a can of woop ass on the hipster.

The thing is, on earth violence sometimes is needed to resolve conflict. It is just that simple.
Or you could put your frontal lobes to use. They're not just there for decoration.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,666 times
Default cultural malaise

Traditional cultural values involving obsolete concepts such as decency and respect, not to mention civil restraint no longer apply in this contemporary context. I'm referring to the diversity of choices now considered appropriate for conflict resolution. I'm gonna get in your face and smack you if you find any fault in the behavior of my child or I'm going to tell you to go to hell if you create distractions that that I have not chosen to entertain me.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:49 AM

21,841 posts, read 16,530,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am0swils View Post
Traditional cultural values involving obsolete concepts such as decency and respect, not to mention civil restraint no longer apply in this contemporary context. I'm referring to the diversity of choices now considered appropriate for conflict resolution. I'm gonna get in your face and smack you if you find any fault in the behavior of my child or I'm going to tell you to go to hell if you create distractions that that I have not chosen to entertain me.
Not sure, but I think you are suggesting this is somehow "new" behavior for humanity? People used to be decent and respectful toward each other? They didn't used to "get in each others' faces and smack"? They didn't used to tell each other to "go to hell"? Not in the good old days? Which was exactly when in history?

No. I'm not supporting the behavior. Just curious what's "new" about this.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Not sure, but I think you are suggesting this is somehow "new" behavior for humanity? People used to be decent and respectful toward each other? They didn't used to "get in each others' faces and smack"? They didn't used to tell each other to "go to hell"? Not in the good old days? Which was exactly when in history?

No. I'm not supporting the behavior. Just curious what's "new" about this.
Well, I seem to remember it somewhere in the mid twentieth century. But maybe I'm just dreaming.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:34 AM

21,841 posts, read 16,530,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am0swils View Post
Well, I seem to remember it somewhere in the mid twentieth century. But maybe I'm just dreaming.
I think there is some merit to that time frame - if we also limit the impression geographically to North America, and most specifically to the mid-west and west. Post-WWII in N. America for a few decades was a unique moment in world history where there was a bit of increased sense of safety, security, and slight attempt at civility - IF we're talking white suburbanites acting toward other white suburbanites.

But world history before, and since, certainly has never seen any abundance of good behaviors among the general populations at large.

It's quite the dichotomy, isn't it? The way small, homogeneous communities and groups with common foundations and goals demonstrate the capacity for civility and concern. Yet, as the groups grow larger and more diverse, interactions deteriorate with a nasty quickness and quality, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland