Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 07:24 AM

6,418 posts, read 8,292,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
You don't think a person who assaults someone in Texas would be arrested?
Adrian Peterson beat the hell out of his kid, but even he was arrested in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, and I wonder how long it will take for the "victim" to learn that your right to pop off at the mouth wont always deter someone else from punching you in the face.
Whether she learns or not is up to her. If she has an ounce of intellect, she'll at least think twice before opening her mouth again. In either case, what she did wasn't an arrest worthy offense. Personally, I'm glad to see that the child was taken from her violent mother, and I'm glad to see the mom has to suffer consequences for her idiotic behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 09:50 AM

102,242 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Whether she learns or not is up to her. If she has an ounce of intellect, she'll at least think twice before opening her mouth again. In either case, what she did wasn't an arrest worthy offense. Personally, I'm glad to see that the child was taken from her violent mother, and I'm glad to see the mom has to suffer consequences for her idiotic behavior.
An ounce of intellect? Look at all the publicity she got! She got on TV news, reporters were, and still are, swarming around her. She got magnificently rewarded for her behavior. She's not likely to stop. She admitted she has a history of telling moms to control their kids. Now it will escalate. She reminds me of the people who seek out opportunities to sue companies, transit systems, whatever, for negligence. They're professional victims.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:04 AM

372 posts, read 514,627 times
It seems the Oakland contingent on here is very accepting of punching someone in the face multiple times if you don't like what they have to say. Perhaps it isn't a coincidence that the city with the highest rate of violent crime in the state is Oakland?

Old 11-12-2014, 10:15 AM

36,667 posts, read 67,622,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoastal View Post
It seems the Oakland contingent on here is very accepting of punching someone in the face multiple times if you don't like what they have to say. Perhaps it isn't a coincidence that the city with the highest rate of violent crime in the state is Oakland?
lol@ the cattiness. Is it that time of the month for you?

Old 11-12-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
An ounce of intellect? Look at all the publicity she got! She got on TV news, reporters were, and still are, swarming around her. She got magnificently rewarded for her behavior. She's not likely to stop. She admitted she has a history of telling moms to control their kids. Now it will escalate. She reminds me of the people who seek out opportunities to sue companies, transit systems, whatever, for negligence. They're professional victims.
She got the crap beaten out of her and lost a tooth. Professional victims typically have a short string of success before a savvy judge sees how litigious they are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoastal View Post
You must not have actually read the thread. I have repeatedly stressed that the woman should be prosecuted. Nice straw man and gross overgeneralization. Not surprising though, given the source.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:36 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,710,097 times
So yesterday I had a little incident that reminded me of this thread. I was at the Outlets in Livermore by myself with my twins and I was paying for my item when my daughter starts to get fussy. I wouldn’t exactly call it a “tantrum” but she started fussing because she wanted to be held, I picked her up to calm her down but then she kept trying to grab everything on the counter so I put her back down so I could finish paying and get out of there. She starts to cry, she’s only 1yo and pretty small for her age so she isn’t that loud but still. I do try to calm her down and be quiet but it doesn’t really do a whole lot. So as soon as I’m done paying I start to bolt out of there as fast as I can as I’m somewhat embarrassed and don’t want to subject people to that and a nice, older lady looks at me and smiles then tells me “You’re doing a great job dad”. It was just really nice to get that kind of reaction from someone who likely knows what it is like to be in that situation.

I realize my situation might be different in some ways as I was trying to calm my child down (which the mom in this story may or may not have tried, we don’t really know) and my child was younger and likely not as loud as the one in this story either. Plus sometimes parents of twins, especially if they're alone, kind of get more compassion for what they're dealing with, luckily my son was calm at that time. But it’s fairly similar and shows the difference in how some people react to a situation like this. Many times when I see a child throwing a tantrum or getting fussy in public the parents look embarrassed by the situation and many times we are. I don’t want to subject people to that and I do my best to calm my children but it’s not easy or even possible many times. Adding to that stress with an unnecessary comment about quieting your child down is pretty much NEVER going to help or make the situation better for anyone. Some people like the hipster in this story might think they're doing society a favor by "speaking up" telling a parent what to do, but they're not at all and making matters worse.

Last edited by sav858; 11-12-2014 at 11:53 AM..

Old 11-12-2014, 01:11 PM

None of us were there, so we don't know exactly what happened. If the mom was busy texting or chatting on her phone and letting her child loose, I'd find it difficult to bite my tongue too. Given the fact that she assaulted another adult over words, I am inclined to believe she wasn't doing the best job of parenting. Luckily, the authorities seems to agree.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:57 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,710,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
None of us were there, so we don't know exactly what happened. If the mom was busy texting or chatting on her phone and letting her child loose, I'd find it difficult to bite my tongue too. Given the fact that she assaulted another adult over words, I am inclined to believe she wasn't doing the best job of parenting. Luckily, the authorities seems to agree.
Well either way you or anyone else is pretty much never going to help that type of situation by offering unsolicited parenting advice or directions. Whether or not you're right isn't going to make a difference in that type of situation. I'm not sure what some people like the hipster think they're going to accomplish by saying something. I'm not trying to say there is no situation where saying something isn't warranted, I believe I stated earlier that if a child is physically touching/harming you or something like that then that shouldn't be tolerated.

Again's none us were there so we don't know exactly what happened, but considering the hipster does this often I'm guessing just any noise/fuss children makes bothers her to the point of feeling the need to offer some very unwelcomed advice. They always say "pick your battles" and she picked the wrong one.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:00 PM

Like I've said before, I always keep my mouth shut unless the child is really doing something it shouldn't (running out in the street, kicking the back of my seat, throwing food, etc). I'm not defending the hipster for speaking her mind- it obviously wasn't going to help the situation. But the mom totally deserved to get arrested, and I'm happy they took her kid from her. [/thread]

Old 11-12-2014, 03:02 PM

36,667 posts, read 67,622,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well either way you or anyone else is pretty much never going to help that type of situation by offering unsolicited parenting advice or directions. Whether or not you're right isn't going to make a difference in that type of situation. I'm not sure what some people like the hipster think they're going to accomplish by saying something. I'm not trying to say there is no situation where saying something isn't warranted, I believe I stated earlier that if a child is physically touching/harming you or something like that then that shouldn't be tolerated.

Again's none us were there so we don't know exactly what happened, but considering the hipster does this often I'm guessing just any noise/fuss children makes bothers her to the point of feeling the need to offer some very unwelcomed advice. They always say "pick your battles" and she picked the wrong one.
Exactly.

Im starting to wonder about how she was raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland