Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 09:39 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,876,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I think there is some merit to that time frame - if we also limit the impression geographically to North America, and most specifically to the mid-west and west. Post-WWII in N. America for a few decades was a unique moment in world history where there was a bit of increased sense of safety, security, and slight attempt at civility - IF we're talking white suburbanites acting toward other white suburbanites.

But world history before, and since, certainly has never seen any abundance of good behaviors among the general populations at large.

It's quite the dichotomy, isn't it? The way small, homogeneous communities and groups with common foundations and goals demonstrate the capacity for civility and concern. Yet, as the groups grow larger and more diverse, interactions deteriorate with a nasty quickness and quality, no?
We'll be fine as long as massive psychotic moms with crazy kids don't cross paths with stoney, mouthy media-seeking hipsters with poor boxing defense skills. And if/when they do, we get to see how it unfolds and comment on the encounter to our liking! We all win!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 01:44 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,302,184 times
I am surprised (or perhaps not?) at how cavalier posters have been in equating the cheek of a 20th something year-old to the cowardly cold cocking of an enraged mother unwilling to restrain her children in public. I am no fan of obnoxious young adults absorbed in their trivial lives. However, as a parent of three, I have seen some awful parenting in public spaces that earn all parents the enmity of the childless.

Parks, planes, trains, busses, movie theaters, etc. are places where irresponsible parents and/or their progeny force their unpleasantries on all others. It is incumbent upon civilized people to act with sufficient amount of decorum or lose their presumptive right to participate. If two people bother to bring a life into this world, then they owe the greater society some basic responsibility to raise those children (and future adults) to be civilized and productive members of that society and to contribute to its progress.

When we got to dinner and my infant daughter raises a fuss, we politely excuse ourselves and take the food home. When taking a long distance flight, we pack extra toys and books and prepare ourselves to tag-team the family through the flight making sure to nip any and all problems at the bud. When using a condo gym, if circumstances force us to bring in a child, we make sure that child is on a shirt leash. When in bumper-to-bumper traffic with thousands of other frustrated people, we tone down our angst so as not to spark altercations that can only lead to a lose-lose. These are all examples of how we raised our kids. The loss of 20% of our freedoms and perhaps 30-50% of theirs when young has led to three kids who I am proud to say behave exceptionally well in public (not at home, mind you, but out there in society).

If nothing I wrote resonates or worse earns scorn and wrath, then what then is the lesson for society when encountering those who so willingly flaunt social conventions and make life miserable for the rest of us? Abstract away from this particular example and use mine. Dinner? Simple, ban children, cell phones, and adopt other legal strategies to keep out those who won;t adhere to social norms. Isolate children on flights or allow quiet kids to earn back privileges for their parents. Enforce the ban on kids in public spaces, from gyms to parks to malls. Vote in extra punitive laws for those who refuse to adhere to uncontroversial conventions of civility.

Yet, all of these things are already being implemented across the country and increasingly accepted. As the acceptance spreads, those unwilling to follow these norms get ever more isolated with others who cannot see the value of social civility. These trends add to gender, age, income, education, race, language, married/single, kids/no, etc. and further balkanize our populations.

Parents need to step it up. Period. Again, this not excuse the nastiness of the hipster. But to let one's kids scream and then cold **** someone who called you out for atrocious parenting? Unacceptable. What would have been acceptable? An innocent mother confronting the snide remarks undeservingly targeting her/her kids. Not this.

S.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:46 PM

36,685 posts, read 67,686,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
I am surprised (or perhaps not?) at how cavalier posters have been in equating the cheek of a 20th something year-old to the cowardly cold cocking of an enraged mother unwilling to restrain her children in public. I am no fan of obnoxious young adults absorbed in their trivial lives. However, as a parent of three, I have seen some awful parenting in public spaces that earn all parents the enmity of the childless.

Parents need to step it up. Period. Again, this not excuse the nastiness of the hipster. But to let one's kids scream and then cold **** someone who called you out for atrocious parenting? Unacceptable. What would have been acceptable? An innocent mother confronting the snide remarks undeservingly targeting her/her kids. Not this.

S.
Sure the mom was definitely wrong for beating up the girl, but for the life of me, I just cannot muster even a modicum of sympathy for the 20 year old.

Even days later.

Oh, and the mom has been arrested.

Mom Arrested, Accused Of Attacking Irritated Colma Shopper Who Asked Her To Quiet Tantrum-Throwing Kid « CBS San Francisco

Also, just because a kid is screaming in public, that's not a result of bad parenting by default. Hardly.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:18 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,524,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post

Parks, planes, trains, busses, movie theaters, etc. are places where irresponsible parents and/or their progeny force their unpleasantries on all others. It is incumbent upon civilized people to act with sufficient amount of decorum or lose their presumptive right to participate. If two people bother to bring a life into this world, then they owe the greater society some basic responsibility to raise those children (and future adults) to be civilized and productive members of that society and to contribute to its progress.

When we got to dinner and my infant daughter raises a fuss, we politely excuse ourselves and take the food home. When taking a long distance flight, we pack extra toys and books and prepare ourselves to tag-team the family through the flight making sure to nip any and all problems at the bud. When using a condo gym, if circumstances force us to bring in a child, we make sure that child is on a shirt leash. When in bumper-to-bumper traffic with thousands of other frustrated people, we tone down our angst so as not to spark altercations that can only lead to a lose-lose. These are all examples of how we raised our kids. The loss of 20% of our freedoms and perhaps 30-50% of theirs when young has led to three kids who I am proud to say behave exceptionally well in public (not at home, mind you, but out there in society).

If nothing I wrote resonates or worse earns scorn and wrath, then what then is the lesson for society when encountering those who so willingly flaunt social conventions and make life miserable for the rest of us? Abstract away from this particular example and use mine. Dinner? Simple, ban children, cell phones, and adopt other legal strategies to keep out those who won;t adhere to social norms. Isolate children on flights or allow quiet kids to earn back privileges for their parents. Enforce the ban on kids in public spaces, from gyms to parks to malls. Vote in extra punitive laws for those who refuse to adhere to uncontroversial conventions of civility.

Yet, all of these things are already being implemented across the country and increasingly accepted. As the acceptance spreads, those unwilling to follow these norms get ever more isolated with others who cannot see the value of social civility. These trends add to gender, age, income, education, race, language, married/single, kids/no, etc. and further balkanize our populations.

S.
Congratulations on raising well behaving robots. Sounds like you have completely destroyed their natural behavior. What is so great about making kids behave like adults? Or should they just act like kids when they become 20 years old hipsters eating grilled cheese sandwich, mac n cheese and throwing a hissy-fit when they see a crying child?

Old 11-11-2014, 10:19 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,524,095 times
Mom accused of punching woman over screaming child arrested - SFGate

Yes now the mom is arrested and separated from the kid because of some obnoxious hipster. Great way to raise the future generation... CA style!

Old 11-11-2014, 11:37 PM

102,278 posts, read 108,356,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post

Yes now the mom is arrested and separated from the kid because of some obnoxious hipster. Great way to raise the future generation... CA style!
Whoa, whoa! The mom chose to punch the other woman and drag her to the ground. Nobody forced her to do that. A mom is arrested and separated from her kid because of her own recklessness and failure to control her anger.

I'd worry about a kid being raised by a mom like that. Mom needs anger management classes.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:45 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,147,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post

You don't think a person who assaults someone in Texas would be arrested?

Old 11-11-2014, 11:49 PM

372 posts, read 515,160 times
Awesome they caught the perp. Sucks for her she committed felony assault and battery in San Mateo County, where she has a much higher chance of doing time. Fingers crossed they lock her up and teach her a lesson that the world doesn't revolve around her and her little precious. Someone of her low caliber probably needs jail time to get a message across.

Last edited by calicoastal; 11-12-2014 at 12:00 AM..

Old 11-12-2014, 05:27 AM

36,685 posts, read 67,686,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoastal View Post
Awesome they caught the perp. Sucks for her she committed felony assault and battery in San Mateo County, where she has a much higher chance of doing time. Fingers crossed they lock her up and teach her a lesson that the world doesn't revolve around her and her little precious. Someone of her low caliber probably needs jail time to get a message across.
Yes, and I wonder how long it will take for the "victim" to learn that your right to pop off at the mouth wont always deter someone else from punching you in the face.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:45 AM

21,798 posts, read 16,467,596 times
They're both getting a lesson in: Defining Your Life By Rash, Impusive Acts 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland