Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 11:48 AM

58 posts, read 184,722 times

Advertisements

Our family has the option to make a move to California from Westchester, NY. I never thought I would want to move from here but the brutal winters are making us reconsider.

My husband has two potential job offers in either LA or Silicon Valley. He attended university in Northern California and is familiar with the area but he lived there as a student and now we are a family of 4. I have visited LA several times but never really loved it because of the sprawl. I really like Palo Alto but would love to hear generally about living and raising a family there or in surrounding areas. We are an interracial couple and would like some diversity but do not need everyone to look like us to be comfortable. We currently live in a NY suburb that has excellent schools, a great sense of community, and very walkable. Would love to be able to find these same qualities when we move. Our housing budget would be around 1.8 million. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 12:43 PM

238 posts, read 302,614 times
you could find all of those requirements in palo alto. it's a lovely town. that budget is probably the lowest you could purchase a home in PA, though. and typically that price is for a 1 to 2 bedroom house. not sure what the town home market is like. you should use redfin.com for the best real estate info.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:28 PM

424 posts, read 552,019 times
an 1100 square foot home in very very poor 1960 condition sold last month for 1.8 mil in palo alto.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:32 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lak29 View Post
Our family has the option to make a move to California from Westchester, NY. I never thought I would want to move from here but the brutal winters are making us reconsider.

My husband has two potential job offers in either LA or Silicon Valley. He attended university in Northern California and is familiar with the area but he lived there as a student and now we are a family of 4. I have visited LA several times but never really loved it because of the sprawl. I really like Palo Alto but would love to hear generally about living and raising a family there or in surrounding areas. We are an interracial couple and would like some diversity but do not need everyone to look like us to be comfortable. We currently live in a NY suburb that has excellent schools, a great sense of community, and very walkable. Would love to be able to find these same qualities when we move. Our housing budget would be around 1.8 million. Thanks!
Palo Alto has excellent public nationally ranked schools. It is also the location of Stanford University. You can get a 3 bedroom 50s, 60s, 70s Eichler home for that budget but not anything newer. There are 2 commercial downtowns in Palo Alto with 2 Caltrain stations. The city is also HQ for a number of large tech firms as well as startups. Beautiful tree lined streets and lovely weather. A great example of "California suburban" but not overly sterile and boring as your typical suburb. A mix of rich people and Teslas everywhere as well as more ordinary looking folks.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
You did not mention what kind of interracial couple you are. As an FYI there are mot many black people in Silicon Valley. The other blends are far more common. If you are black you'll find it a little isolating in some ways. This doesn't mean people are unfriendly or overtly racist, but particularly in the silicon valley, there isn't a visible black middle or upper middle class.

To be completely far, you will not find the same level of "nice" at your budget as you have in Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland