Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:20 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

After spending a few weeks on the East Coast I can cross that area off my list of places Id want to live in again. No thanks. Well, maybe it was the freezing temps but I washed my hands of that place as soon as Obama took his oath. Didnt even feel like staying for the inauguration balls-just came straight home. I think I arrived at OAK before Bush arrived in Texas. LOL

Old 01-27-2009, 11:24 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I think we are considering moving.

I am a native 3rd generation bay area'n and it really sucks that i may end up leaving my entire extended family so i can have a nice big house with a nice big yard in a nice smart school district for a reasonable price for my family where it is safer and there is NO TRAFFIC!

You want more for your kids, not less for them. My childhood was great. A safe neighborhood, neighborhood public school available for use of the playground at anytime(i went to private). We rode bikes to the library, no crime ever affected me or anyone i ever knew, so in order for me to give my kids the same experience, we have to leave the area. There is not a LOT of crime, but enough to bug me. I can't trust my children to play in their own front yard because of perv's. The amount of people here now is CRAZY. I just can't stand the amount of traffic even to go just a few miles.

I believe it is a combination of the area changing to be a little more dangerous perhaps due to the increased population over the years, not giving ex-criminals the tools they need to stay out of jail and have a better life, the gov't not taking care of the mentally ill so they are out there wandering perhaps a danger themselves or to others, and parents not watching their teens as closely so they are causing trouble without consequences. The local schools have fences taller then Juvenile Hall's surrounding them. There are homeless people living in the creeks and parks? Terrible that anyone should live that way.

I would love to stay because there are so many intersting diverse things to do here for children. Many museums, aquariums, zoo's, parks, themeparks, cultural experiences. But I also want that safety aspect we used to have here. We had Kevin Collins get snatched and that was the beginning of the end for SF and it being safe for children. The burbs were safer, but not anymore.
LOL this post is ridiculous. You think the Bay Area is the only place with Perverts and Crime? Have you seen to catch a predator? Most of those child molesters come from the peaceful white picket fence areas. There is no Utopia. No traffic? Have fun in Montana.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:34 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
LOL this post is ridiculous. You think the Bay Area is the only place with Perverts and Crime? Have you seen to catch a predator? Most of those child molesters come from the peaceful white picket fence areas. There is no Utopia. No traffic? Have fun in Montana.
You are so small-minded that the only way you can reply to people is to insult them instead of having a big-boy conversation. tsk tsk tsk.

Yes I have seen there is crime in other cities. But the odds of my kid getting shot in a drive-by is a lot lower in Montana than it is here. The odds of my kid being asked to join a gang is lower in montana than it is here, the odds of my kid getting jumped is lower in Montana than it is here. WHY? Because in Montana I can afford a better neighborhood with less crime than there is here.

Do you even have children? Or do you just like to respond so you can see your name in print?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:43 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,068,257 times
Taboo2, I agree a lot with what you are saying. Some of the factors I took into account when I first left the Bay area. In other parts of the states it is safer and easier to raise kids. There are sex offenders every where but I think there is a higher concentration in the bay. When I lived in Oakland I was shocked to see the high level of offenders (actually one lived in my building). But we fixed that problem by moving to another surrounding city.

The big thing about moving is making sure that the economy is stable where ever you are going to move to. Sure you are going to get a fabulous house and probably good neighbors too. But being employed makes a bigger difference than the house. I learned that lesson when we moved back to the bay in less than a year of moving.

It is not a bad thing to move from the bay as it is not for everyone and most people leave because of the family situation.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Taboo2, I agree a lot with what you are saying. Some of the factors I took into account when I first left the Bay area. In other parts of the states it is safer and easier to raise kids. There are sex offenders every where but I think there is a higher concentration in the bay. When I lived in Oakland I was shocked to see the high level of offenders (actually one lived in my building). But we fixed that problem by moving to another surrounding city.

The big thing about moving is making sure that the economy is stable where ever you are going to move to. Sure you are going to get a fabulous house and probably good neighbors too. But being employed makes a bigger difference than the house. I learned that lesson when we moved back to the bay in less than a year of moving.

It is not a bad thing to move from the bay as it is not for everyone and most people leave because of the family situation.
I'm not worried about sex offenders to much, there are not many in my area according to the websites i have checked, besides they live everywhere and that is a losing battle. You just don't let your child around strangers without an adult present, you are vigilant in who you let into your life and near your children. And you watch your child when you are in public, they don't go places alone. etc...

My problem are the thug punks.
All the little thug hooligans have guns nowadays. They have no idea of what a consequence is, and frankly many of them having nothing better to do then start s*** with someone. They have no future (As far as they can tell) so they are not worried about committing an illegal act. They also feel they will never get caught. I am sure these thugs live all over the country but there is a high amount of them in this area.

The amount of random acts of violence are increasing around the bay and that is such a depressing thought. I realize I am idealistic in how I want it to be.

We own a business so I doubt we will leave anytime soon.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
You are so small-minded that the only way you can reply to people is to insult them instead of having a big-boy conversation. tsk tsk tsk.

Yes I have seen there is crime in other cities. But the odds of my kid getting shot in a drive-by is a lot lower in Montana than it is here. The odds of my kid being asked to join a gang is lower in montana than it is here, the odds of my kid getting jumped is lower in Montana than it is here. WHY? Because in Montana I can afford a better neighborhood with less crime than there is here.

Do you even have children? Or do you just like to respond so you can see your name in print?
I called your post ridiculous I did not insult you. Stop playing victim all the time. LOL at your kid being asked to join a gang. Nobody asks that. "Hey want to join our gang and kill people". LOL Have fun in Montana. Go to any forum and people are complaining about the "Crime" even in Billings Montana. A bunch of whiners and crybaby's scared of everything. "tsk tsk" Grow up.

Last edited by City Boy; 01-27-2009 at 12:14 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,068,257 times
Taboo2, I'm not sure what sites you have checked for sexual offenders but there are a lot in the bay. California Megan's Law - California Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General When I use to live in Oakland that was the site that I discovered had one of my neighbors on it. Sex offenders take kids right from their bedrooms while the parents are sleeping in the other room and or kidnap them right from school. I'm worried about everything when it comes to my kids. Violent crime and people introducing guns, sex, and drugs into their lives. The bay is too liberal when it comes to drugs.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Taboo2, I'm not sure what sites you have checked for sexual offenders but there are a lot in the bay. California Megan's Law - California Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General When I use to live in Oakland that was the site that I discovered had one of my neighbors on it. Sex offenders take kids right from their bedrooms while the parents are sleeping in the other room and or kidnap them right from school. I'm worried about everything when it comes to my kids. Violent crime and people introducing guns, sex, and drugs into their lives. The bay is too liberal when it comes to drugs.
LOL oh god.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:18 PM

50 posts, read 308,142 times
I am a 23 year old Bay Area native who was born and raised in the Bay, and went college in the City. I just graduated from college last spring and I am just starting my career.... it hasn't even been a year yet and I've already thoroughly thought out my options for relocation.

I live in the East Bay and I take BART every morning to Embarcadero for work. I would love nothing more than to be a homeowner in the City, I wouldn't mind even being a renter in the City... except for the fact that right now with my entry-level salary all I can afford is a place smaller than my cubicle. Some of my other peers throughout the company in other states are already closing on their first homes.

I have to get up at 5:30 every morning to make it to work on time, and there are days where I won't get home till after 8pm... and because personally, my body needs at least 8 hours of sleep for me to function properly... it doesn't leave me much time for anything else in life.

I would love to stay with my current company and they have offices all over the country, I am a warm weather person so I've narrowed my options down to Dallas/ATL/Tampa (because that's where my company's offices are in those states). But also the industry that I'm in has plenty of opportunities in those states as well. I'm going to re-evaluate my position in ~3 years. Because by then I'll have enough raises where I would hopefully be able to afford a mortgage where I would be able to pay it off in less than 7 years. Even with my current SF salary, I would be able to afford a very nice condo if I were to transfer at this moment... nice condo for pennies compared to what I can afford here... in Clearwater, FL??? Sign me up!!!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
I called your post ridiculous I did not insult you. Stop playing victim all the time. LOL at your kid being asked to join a gang. Nobody asks that. "Hey want to join our gang and kill people". LOL Have fun in Montana. Go to any forum and people are complaining about the "Crime" even in Billings Montana. A bunch of whiners and crybaby's scared of everything. "tsk tsk" Grow up.
So then why are you incapable of carrying on a normal adult conversation without feeling the need to insult other people's comments when they differ from yours? This says a lot more about you and your self image issues than it does about the person you are trying to insult.

Nobody asks if a kid wants to join a gang? Yes, that is what happens. Just like kids having sex at 11 yrs old is what happened. Kids were drawn to it because it was bad and their parents would hate it (if they even noticed). It can be the neighborhood, not just the parental oversight. I doubt my kids would join a gang because I WOULD Notice, but they certainly could be targeted by them. Not even gangs, just punk thugs. There are plenty of those around.

You used the example Montana, that is not where I would go. It's not about being scared, it's about being protective of my family.

You must not have chilren or you would understand how people change when they are responsible for someone else's safety and development.
How priorities can change.

The area is fine for those who settle for less, or who don't care about the increase in crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland