Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:16 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,790 times

Advertisements

for people that ride BART -how safe is it now? Are there certain spots that are bad? I've ridden before, but it's been years and i'm looking at using it instead of spending $400 a month to park @ Embarcadero

Just looking for some insights- my husband wants me to drive in; and i think BART should be fine during normal commute hours.

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 08:24 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
At commute time all stops are safe.

Though your might be missing its catalytic converter when you get back from work.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:43 AM

23,544 posts, read 24,049,201 times
I agree, at rush hour, there are so many people on BART, that it's safe. I have never had any issues. Some stations: Bayfair, Fruitvale, Civic Center feel a little sketchy, especially late at night.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:41 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,424,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I agree, at rush hour, there are so many people on BART, that it's safe. I have never had any issues. Some stations: Bayfair, Fruitvale, Civic Center feel a little sketchy, especially late at night.
I rarely hear of crime issues right at a specific BART station. I might just be deaf, but I ride BART every day from SF out to Pleasanton, and I go right through the heart of Oakland.

The bigger question is where are you coming from? If you live in any suburban East Bay town, be prepared for a rather uncomfortable commute. The major reason my wife and I moved into the city from Walnut Creek was because her commute on BART was miserable, and she refuses to drive in the city. 10-car trains are crowded to the point of being smashed in like sardines during the 7-10am and 4-7pm rush hours. Standing armpit to elbow in a hot train for 45+ minutes is very taxing.

Driving will take you a lot longer than BART (typically) and will be more expensive with parking and bridge fees (if applicable), but it will be more comfortable. It really depends on how much you value comfort over time.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:39 AM

655 posts, read 1,984,128 times
Agreed, safety is not the concern--parking and crowded trains are where it will get sticky. Still, not sure it is any worse than driving in rush hour traffic--you'd likely be trading one set of problems for another. If you live somewhere where you're likely to get a seat, that helps a lot. BART will be improving service on the Pittsburg Bay Point line considerably this fall, too (completed a new set of crossover tracks that will allow trains to double back to the city directly from Pleasant Hill, so there will be trains running more frequently between the Mission and Pleasant Hill--should help relieve some of the overcrowding on that line). Where are you coming from?

Old 04-03-2015, 12:20 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Safe? Why wouldn't it be safe? Have there been safety issues on BART? Why would it only be considered safe during commute hours? I've never had a problem on BART, and I generally ride outside of commute hours. Not late at night, but evenings, and at various daytime hours. It's not the NY subway. Though I've never had a problem there, either.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:21 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
BART is pretty safe, don't worry

Old 04-03-2015, 08:39 PM

13 posts, read 17,026 times
BART is very safe. There are more sketchy characters on the Muni lines, but Bart is mostly working class commuters.

What station are you coming/going to? The Bart stations themselves are fine but around some stations is a bit sketchy, such as MacArthur St, West Oakland, and 16th St Mission. But for the most part it is fine.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:38 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
I agree that it's a miserable ride, though. Crowded, and depending on which route you are on, there can be a horrible high pitched squealing noise that is unbearable to me. I'd rather be stuck in traffic in my car any day.

On the other hand, the Caltrain is really pleasant.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:59 PM

365 posts, read 780,085 times
ACTransit has commute buses leaving from many East Bay neighborhoods that will get you to their terminal at Howard and Beale Streets in San Francisco as well. A much more civilized commute than BART.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland