Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 10:26 AM

653 posts, read 464,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It's not that it's 'personal' or not anyone's business; people in the Bay Area are extremely open. Even professionally, people just don't care or discuss (which, I suppose, by 'outsiders' could be interpreted as believing it's 'personal'). To the contrary, however, think how open people are in re: sexual identity, for example.
Not sure why you're (mis)quoting me as saying it's "personal," but I believe we are making similar points that most people simply don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 09:33 PM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
Not sure why you're (mis)quoting me as saying it's "personal," but I believe we are making similar points that most people simply don't care.
I directly quoted you (#220) in re: 'it's not anyone's business' which certainly translates to 'personal' or something that which someone wishes to keep to themselves, lol. I was simply disagreeing in re: that specific point.

That said, agreed many simply don't care (several obvious examples come to mind as a whole); but that circles back around to the OP's question - because people who 'don't care' are, more often than not, the 'live and let live' type (as opposed to those who get uptight, emotional or angry about others' opinions).

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 05-26-2020 at 09:48 PM..

Old 05-27-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I directly quoted you (#220) in re: 'it's not anyone's business' which certainly translates to 'personal' or something that which someone wishes to keep to themselves, lol. I was simply disagreeing in re: that specific point.

That said, agreed many simply don't care (several obvious examples come to mind as a whole); but that circles back around to the OP's question - because people who 'don't care' are, more often than not, the 'live and let live' type (as opposed to those who get uptight, emotional or angry about others' opinions).
From the perspective of the one considering making a declaration, you may be right. My perspective was from the one hearing the statement (and was clearly described as such). "It's not anyone's business" in this context was meant to say that I (like everyone I know and associate with in the Bay Area) do not expect someone to announce their religious affiliations or wear them on their sleeves in day-to-day interactions with people.

The above observation was not the case in Texas, where I'm from.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:11 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:

The above observation was not the case in Texas, where I'm from.

A world of difference IMO! I've been in the BA for a little over a year & I'm from the LA area...Torrance. AND I lived in Plano, Texas for a couple of yrs. & it's night & day. I love the BA........for so many reasons.....BUT the BA is very friendly & super accepting of most things that people would thumb their nose at anywhere else. Do your own thing. Don't obsess about other people. I never realized how many wannabes there are of people that want to live here tho...... until I moved here!!

Old 05-27-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
A world of difference IMO! I've been in the BA for a little over a year & I'm from the LA area...Torrance. AND I lived in Plano, Texas for a couple of yrs. & it's night & day. I love the BA........for so many reasons.....BUT the BA is very friendly & super accepting of most things that people would thumb their nose at anywhere else. Do your own thing. Don't obsess about other people. I never realized how many wannabes there are of people that want to live here tho...... until I moved here!!
True. I would be seriously taken aback if I were to hear some of the things that came up in "polite" conversation back in Texas said here. I lived in Houston and Dallas and the Dallas area is even more outwardly religious (in intrusive and judgmental ways) than Houston (though Houston has plenty of that attitude to go around).

It wasn't necessarily oppressive, but it was nonetheless notable. The Bay Area is much more laid back in this regard and much more comfortable for me, at least. Glad you're enjoying it too.

I think it'll be interesting to see how this COVID-19 lockdown weeds out some of the people who are only here for work or are otherwise not truly connected to this area (physically or mentally). Perhaps the Bay Area and more specifically SF will lose some "wannabe" appeal, as many of the things about the City (other than its surrounding environment) that make it such a draw have been diminished.

We'll see, I suppose. I'm still in it for the long haul though, as I'm guessing you are too.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:24 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
True. I would be seriously taken aback if I were to hear some of the things that came up in "polite" conversation back in Texas said here. I lived in Houston and Dallas and the Dallas area is even more outwardly religious (in intrusive and judgmental ways) than Houston (though Houston has plenty of that attitude to go around).

It wasn't necessarily oppressive, but it was nonetheless notable. The Bay Area is much more laid back in this regard and much more comfortable for me, at least. Glad you're enjoying it too.

I think it'll be interesting to see how this COVID-19 lockdown weeds out some of the people who are only here for work or are otherwise not truly connected to this area (physically or mentally). Perhaps the Bay Area and more specifically SF will lose some "wannabe" appeal, as many of the things about the City (other than its surrounding environment) that make it such a draw have been diminished.

We'll see, I suppose. I'm still in it for the long haul though, as I'm guessing you are too.

Ita about religion in Dallas. When I first moved.....I was working in a hospital in Plano & I would be asked all the time......."have you found a church home yet". People just assumed I was religious....they never even asked me. Until moving to Texas.......I was probably asked about religion several times my whole life in LA & Arizona............AND in Texas, it was almost an every day subject from somebody or the other.

I'm totally in the BA for the long haul tho..........tbh I don't know if my fiance would ever move because of his hobbies & friends & work.........AND I have made a lot of friends too.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
My perspective was from the one hearing the statement (and was clearly described as such). "It's not anyone's business" in this context was meant to say that I (like everyone I know and associate with in the Bay Area) do not expect someone to announce their religious affiliations or wear them on their sleeves in day-to-day interactions with people.
Point being - if they choose to wear their atheism, religious affiliation, gender identity, sexual orientation and/or anything else 'on their sleeve' (or they simply have a sleeve), the Bay Area, as a whole, is more accepting i.e. 'liberal' than most (per the thread) - even among white-collar professionals.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Point being - if they choose to wear their atheism, religious affiliation, gender identity, sexual orientation and/or anything else 'on their sleeve' (or they simply have a sleeve), the Bay Area, as a whole, is more accepting i.e. 'liberal' than most (per the thread) - even among white-collar professionals.
Yes, I already stated that I agree with you on this point.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:17 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
I have never told someone anything about my religious affiliation or beliefs without being asked. In the Bay Area, that almost never happens, but in Texas (where I lived for 5 years) I was asked, though not on a really regular basis. I talk about religious beliefs only with members of my church or someone who is an friend and asks. That is really one of the functions of church; to give a forum of like minded people who face challenges and want to talk them through. The fact that I can have a belief system, but not be compelled to share it, defend it, or be asked about it is a big reason why I love living in California

Old 05-28-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
The fact that I can have a belief system, but not be compelled to share it, defend it, or be asked about it is a big reason why I love living in California
Sure, you can have a belief system you don't 'share or defend'; but then, that misses the whole point of the thread. Point being - the Bay Area is liberal in its acceptance of others, as a whole, no matter their beliefs/disbeliefs; it's not likely you'd get much of a second look even if you flaunted your religion, as many on the streets do.

That said, there simply is no need to hide or pretend who you are (or what you believe/don't believe). I find that to be an unhealthy way to live (as is forcing one's opinion on others as well).

(Btw, how is Honey Grasshopper - lol, kidding; your name reminded me of someone. : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland