Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,117 times

Advertisements

I'm 21
I've lived in san diego with my older brother for a little while, but then I moved back to Indiana (birthplace). I thought I'd be glad being home, but I really miss California and I want to go back. IN is so mundane and I don't want to live a mundane life. I don't want to go back to live with my brother because he has a full house (kids) now & since I don't have my degree yet, I'm not established enough to just pick up and move there.

I currently work full time in a warehouse & I have about 1000$ saved.
I've been around looking online for Live In caregiver jobs in that area & there's quite a bit. I got a lot of response back, the only issue was they needed me ASAP. So my plan is to take about a week and a half vacation off work & drive to California & stay at my brothers' while I search for a live in job. Then just stay there when I find it & start school & go on with my life. If I don't, then I'll just drive back to IN.. That's my plan...
I spoke to my brother about just the me coming out to visit him part and he said absolutely but I didn't tell him the rest.
But I haven't told any of my friends and family about the rest.. I don't need permission or anything but I just think they'll shoot it down. As the tend to do..
So I want unattached opinions. Is this a juvenile idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 11:11 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
Join the military. Learn a real trade. Get out and move to back to San Fran

Old 04-28-2015, 12:34 PM

246 posts, read 650,184 times
I'd say go for it! You don't want to regret it later and become a bitter person resenting everything.

Thing is, your life will suck even more in San Diego or anywhere in CA if you don't get a degree in a field that you'll be able to afford to live there. While that warehouse job seems comfy, don't fool yourself thinking you can get by with that or caregiving job for long.

It'll be greatly easier to finish that degree in what would probably be a cheaper Indiana than a costly San Diego. If you can focus on that and wait it out, your transition would probably be easier. But if financially the caregiver job would work out while going to school in SD, then do it! Do the math first, worst thing people do is make emotional decisions without analyzing whether it would fanatically work.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:21 PM

238 posts, read 302,561 times
1K is not much in case something goes wrong. what if you don't find a job? what if you can't stay at your brother's house for long? you will run out of money immediately and that is when things turn bad.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:53 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
If you already have a fall-back plan in place then you should just go for it.

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2015, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,117 times
Well like I said if I don't find anything within that week I'd drive back to IN.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:01 AM

901 posts, read 1,168,081 times
I don't believe in struggling unnecessarily. If you come back, I'd go to places other the big CA cities, which are very hard places to live now for anyone who is not doing well financially - it will force you into a life of super long commutes and poor housing choices, with no way out unless you get into a high paying career.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:34 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times
Default one week?

One week to find a job and a place to stay in California??

I suggest you buckle down and prepare yourself. What you'll most likely be doing is throwing $1,000 away for a one-week vacation that isn't going to change your life. I've done some quick moves in my life and they can be painful. Here's some suggestions:
  • Someone said join the military and get a careers, some money, and some maturity under your belt. That might be a good idea. (You may want to avoid the Marines and Army if you don't like the idea of walking around "exotic" places like Afghanistan and instead look into the Coast Guard, Navy or Air Force.)
  • Don't base your entire life on the mood you're presently in. "He who fails to engineer his life shall have his life engineered for him."
  • Do a long-term plan on who you want to be. Just go to a coffee shop or sit down and write out what would be your ideal career or business. Don't put in, "yeah, but's" like second or third choices. Dream big... but dream realistic according to your talents.
  • Pick up a used copy of Julia Cameron's book, "The Artist Way" for $8 or $10 bucks and work through emotional blocks around your "First Choices."
    [*]Buckle down and finish something. Decide what you really would enjoy doing with your non-mundane life. Maybe write down 3 choices... then make an appointment to sit down with (a) Junior College Guidance Counselor, (b) a career counselor at the state unemployment office [but don't give them too much weight on your decision], and (c) do your internet homework in searching out good career choices.
  • The place (city or state) isn't going to fix what's inside you. Right now, you're on track for being homeless. You can't depend on your brother, or a city to change what needs to be birth inside you.
  • FINISH your school my friend. Finish something. If you don't, your self-esteem will always provide you with a "mundane life."

18 to ... oh... about 24 can be our hardest years because life drops us into the deep end of the pool and we're told to swim. Every problem is an opportunity in work clothes. Challenge yourself to find answers to that are 3 steps PAST the problem. That's when you'll get paid.

Get some skills. Do your work. Then move to a place that is more dynamic.
There's LOT of competition ... and the world is asking you to bring something to the table.
If you do-- instead of just looking to be given something, you'll be rewarded.

Most of us go through the period you're in.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:34 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times
Default Job Corps!

I forgot about the Job Corps!
You're still young enough to join the Job Corps.

It may be an excellent choice!!
  1. You'll get career skills
  2. Academic education
  3. Counseling
  4. Job Placement
  5. Social Skills
  6. Food
  7. Shelter
  8. Clothing
  9. Time

ALL THINGS THAT YOU NEED!

The only things to beware of is this.... you'll have to be able to go through the program without smoking weed or using heavier drugs. They test you and every week some kid who left home with a plan on a new life has his or her hopes dashed.

You'll also need to be aware of the fact that all the pit falls and dangers in your generation will be represented there, so stick to your plan. Don't get caught up in the popularity drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland