Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2019, 09:34 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I really don't understand this when it's the Bay Area where I've experienced the most racism as a Black man. People from the Bay like to talk up diversity, housing, and "being liberal", until those issues are at their doorstep. The Bay is the classic example of what limousine liberals are.
Sometimes labels are deceptive, especially with simple political affiliations.

Dave Coe is pretty straightforward with who and what he is: a Caucasian person who isn't comfortable with being in the minority and pretty up front with his political beliefs.

Another person on these threads says he's pretty left-leaning and hates Trump, but is really isn't very different than Dave Coe with distaste for many communities which have substantial Asian populations. I call him out all the time for his ethnocentrism.

Still another poster who is a conservative Republican is very comfortable with working in a diverse professional community and respects people of my background and my community. I get along with him great.

Point is, you have to scratch below the surface to see where people are and what companies do. A lot of Valley companies and industries may profess to have tolerance or welcome different backgrounds of people, but their labor practices aren't particularly enlightened. This is before we even get into issues about infrastructure issues, traffic, and effects and influences on the COL and quality of life which can't be distilled into simple liberal vs conservative camps.

Last edited by silverkris; 04-13-2019 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 10:23 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Really? Are they?

Most of the big Sili Valley companies AREN'T very diverse.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-women-workers

https://www.cnet.com/news/when-it-co...falling-short/

Not to mention that white men still have an edge in getting VC funding:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ve...nds-2019-02-13
So, you're basically justifying a quota system because there are a majority of white males? It sounds like someone has a sense of entitlement to use the minority card to try to get a leg up on everyone else. How does you being Asian and me being white make you somehow more entitled to getting a job or promotion, just because there are more white males already in the workforce?

My previous employer had a HR VP in our year end review calibration sessions. He made sure that we put a higher % of women up for promotion and a higher rating. This naturally provided others an unfair playing field. I've seen it in action and it is despicable.

I don't deny that there has been discrimination in the workforce in the past and it still exists in some areas. But, two wrongs do not make a right.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
So, you're basically justifying a quota system because there are a majority of white males? It sounds like someone has a sense of entitlement to use the minority card to try to get a leg up on everyone else. How does you being Asian and me being white make you somehow more entitled to getting a job or promotion, just because there are more white males already in the workforce?

My previous employer had a HR VP in our year end review calibration sessions. He made sure that we put a higher % of women up for promotion and a higher rating. This naturally provided others an unfair playing field. I've seen it in action and it is despicable.

I don't deny that there has been discrimination in the workforce in the past and it still exists in some areas. But, two wrongs do not make a right.
Oh puhleez stop with the nonsense. I can't vouch for your instance, but I don't see being Asian getting a leg up in these tech firms. Particularly the higher you go. We're often seen as technically proficient but when it comes with being into higher management - that's a bit different.

I don't feel entitled more than anyone else, in fact, Asians LAG behind getting promotions because of the old (white) boy network. Like in getting funding or investments. Why do you see a surfeit of bros getting their pet projects funded when other minorities and women struggle to get their startups going? We just want opportunity period.

There's an old saying, when you have the edge, equality looks like oppression.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:20 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Oh puhleez stop with the nonsense. I can't vouch for your instance, but I don't see being Asian getting a leg up in these tech firms. Particularly the higher you go. We're often seen as technically proficient but when it comes with being into higher management - that's a bit different.

I don't feel entitled more than anyone else, in fact, Asians LAG behind getting promotions because of the old (white) boy network. Like in getting funding or investments. Why do you see a surfeit of bros getting their pet projects funded when other minorities and women struggle to get their startups going? We just want opportunity period.

There's an old saying, when you have the edge, equality looks like oppression.
Statistics on an aggregate do not justify discrimination on the individual. The old boy network hasn’t benefited me in my career. How about just judging people on merit without any regards to race? Again, two wrongs don’t make a right. Anyone who argues otherwise is just trying to get a leg up unfairly. No different than Elizabeth Warren claiming 1/64 Native American to get into college or Lori Laughlin faking a credentials for her daughter to get into USC. SMH

Old 04-14-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Statistics on an aggregate do not justify discrimination on the individual. The old boy network hasn’t benefited me in my career. How about just judging people on merit without any regards to race? Again, two wrongs don’t make a right. Anyone who argues otherwise is just trying to get a leg up unfairly. No different than Elizabeth Warren claiming 1/64 Native American to get into college or Lori Laughlin faking a credentials for her daughter to get into USC. SMH
Never said so. I'm saying that it's not a disadvantage to be a white male, in tech, and in this society, period.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:19 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
Quote:
Never said so. I'm saying that it's not a disadvantage to be a white male, in tech, and in this society, period.
Its not so much affirmative actions promoted by the left but the issue is that a lot of tech firms prefer to higher other Indians.

Despite Strong Case, U.S. Tech Workers Lose Tata Discrimination Suit:

https://www.ustechworkers.com/despit...mination-suit/

Old 04-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Its not so much affirmative actions promoted by the left but the issue is that a lot of tech firms prefer to higher other Indians.

Despite Strong Case, U.S. Tech Workers Lose Tata Discrimination Suit:

https://www.ustechworkers.com/despit...mination-suit/
I don't have an issue with this - we should be hiring US citizens and permanent residents first. However, too often it is used as a proxy to promote ethnocentrism and xenophobia against certain communities - and frankly, you aren't seen as an honest broker on that aspect.

Companies will locate their units or groups offshore, so you'll find them in places such as Bangalore, Dublin Ireland, or Sofia, Bulgaria. My spouse has to deal with crazy hours calling these remote places.

Last edited by silverkris; 04-15-2019 at 05:53 PM..

Old 04-16-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I don't have an issue with this - we should be hiring US citizens and permanent residents first. However, too often it is used as a proxy to promote ethnocentrism and xenophobia against certain communities - and frankly, you aren't seen as an honest broker on that aspect.

Companies will locate their units or groups offshore, so you'll find them in places such as Bangalore, Dublin Ireland, or Sofia, Bulgaria. My spouse has to deal with crazy hours calling these remote places.
I am ethnocentric myself but there are practical economic reason as you pointed out.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
I am ethnocentric myself but there are practical economic reason as you pointed out.
Like I said, you're not really a credible player to discuss this given your biases.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Like I said, you're not really a credible player to discuss this given your biases.
If we had demographic stability then we could just focus on ecology and economics. The thing is Whites are vastly under represented among people moving to California but over represented among people leaving. I am not even implying that there is a conspiracy but that the quality of life is not high enough to keep and attract those people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland