Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 12:06 AM

9 posts, read 9,923 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 years old, currently living with my parents (in Los Angeles), but want to move out. I would love to live in a peaceful, suburban / borderline rural area, with easy access to nature hiking. To me, living in a bustling urban area sounds like a nightmare.

I haven't really developed a career yet, so for the time being I would probably have to settle for work as a cashier or secretary, or something simple like that. I'm not worried about finding a job, but what I am worried about is finding somewhere to live. Right now I've got my eye on Fairfax, which borders the Cascade Canyon Open Space Preserve. But I can literally count on one hand the number of rooms for rent in Fairfax that I see on Craigslist right now.

Is it too difficult to do what I want to do in the SF Bay Area, considering the fact that I would be on a tight budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 09:01 AM

901 posts, read 1,168,081 times
Yes I think it is far too difficult, unless you're willing to always worry about making your budget every month. The Bay Area is no longer a place where it's easy to chill out and live a subsistence lifestyle. It's intensely competitive and expensive and really only for those who are on a well-paying career track and can make peace with that.

If you don't have family you need to be close to, no place is worth the stress of constant economic struggle.

In Fairfax, btw, if you go 5 minutes east, and you will all of the time to get to stuff, you are in the suburban bustle you say you want to avoid. Marin has high traffic for it's population level, and the Bay Area overall is sadly sliding towards LA in the restrictions on mobility. I think it may never get as bad, but it's getting uncomfortably close. This is partially because service workers like cashiers have to drive serious distances to go to work, since affordable housing in the inner core is very rare.

Provided the demand for service workers is there, I think what you want is available in parts of northern california and oregon. Maybe there are places in Washington also. If I were you I'd focus on a place where you have some support nearby, like friends or other family.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:54 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,797 times
arent there any places like that around in southern Ca? most of the young people in SF that work as cashiers live at home with their families , or share apartments with students that get money from parents, scholarships, etc.

making it all by yourself on minimum wage will be impossible, you need connections, like staying with relatives, aunts, uncles, etc.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:24 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
A lot of listings never make it to Craigslist. You should save up, and get someplace, stay in a Motel 6 or something long enough to check out the local listings and bulletin boards to find a room. Fairfax is a great place to live, but only you can figure out if it's affordable. Aside from cashiering, or whatever, you could pick up some extra hours of work waitressing somewhere.

Also consider Santa Rosa, Sebastopol, and Cotati. There's a local college with a student population and house-sharing. They're not really cheaper than Fairfax, but there should be more housing options. And they're close to the Russian River and the redwoods. You could target college towns in your search; Arcata, and some of the other north coastal towns might work, depending on what you're looking for weather-wise and social-scene-wise. Lots of redwood parks in and around Arcata, etc.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:48 AM

9 posts, read 9,923 times
Appreciate the feedback folks! Looks like the cost of living is just a bit too high in the Bay Area for my purposes right now.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:26 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Probably the most realistic option would be to move to Sacramento and drive to the places that you like on your days off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland