Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 05:45 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,639,254 times

Advertisements

I am curious how people perceive the Richmond District. I have lived there for 6 years now and I still can't understand why it isn't more popular. It has great restaurants, it is right next to GGP, it is safe, cleaner than most of the city, it has great public transportation with express buses to take you to downtown and back in 20-25 mins. In addition, between the 5, 31, 38 and the 1, you never have to wait more than 5 mins for a bus. There are multiple grocery stores, cafes, etc. Good Russian and various Asian restaurants. Personally, there are only a couple of areas that I find as good to live in.

I understand the weather is not perfect, but the fog doesn't usually come in until the afternoon. The mornings are usually beautiful and have been especially gorgeous since the drought started...

Yet, there is a surprising # of empty storefronts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 07:15 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
I think of it as a bit shabby in appearance, but always fun and interesting for a dinner out or drinks. I like it a lot. My favorite izakaya joint is in the Inner Richmond. I get a few friends together regularly to go. It's Halu. Do you know it? It's super small--capacity: about 15 people, but it is awesome.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:21 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
I like the Richmond District a lot because it has a lot of great restaurants and the park is there too. However, I'm a little bias because I went to USF. I think the weather is the main reason why it isn't more popular. It's also far from downtown, but that is one of the main reasons I like it. You don't really have to deal with crack heads and all the problems associated with them unlike the districts around downtown.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:32 PM

483 posts, read 842,641 times
Agree that in some places the buildings are a bit shabby-looking. The Geary highway/tire shop/bad furniture store situation doesn't help.

I used to live in the Inner Richmond and really enjoyed it. The food options are pretty solid but a little lacking in standard American fare, especially with Q gone. The farmers market is pretty awesome, and proximity to the Presidio/GGP is nice.

I think my biggest issue was proximity to other neighborhoods I like. Most things in close walking distance aren't my cup of tea. And the buses can be slow (and I generally prefer walking/train).

Now I live in the Inner Sunset and prefer it more, despite a longer commute. I'm much closer to GGP now but also much closer to a more diverse array of bars/restaurants. It's much prettier in general. And while generally flat it also has some great hills. And it's an easier and prettier walk to other interesting (to me) surrounding neighborhoods.

I think the relatively worse commute to SV has kept it off some people's maps.

I have always loved Halu but had a terrible experience there recently. They served a few things burnt to a crisp (to multiple parties). Like brick-hard burnt. Not sure how they didn't notice that. And someone at my table had a paper napkin cooked into her ramen. Not a good night for them.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
Agree that in some places the buildings are a bit shabby-looking. The Geary highway/tire shop/bad furniture store situation doesn't help.

I used to live in the Inner Richmond and really enjoyed it. The food options are pretty solid but a little lacking in standard American fare, especially with Q gone. The farmers market is pretty awesome, and proximity to the Presidio/GGP is nice.

I think my biggest issue was proximity to other neighborhoods I like. Most things in close walking distance aren't my cup of tea. And the buses can be slow (and I generally prefer walking/train).

Now I live in the Inner Sunset and prefer it more, despite a longer commute. I'm much closer to GGP now but also much closer to a more diverse array of bars/restaurants. It's much prettier in general. And while generally flat it also has some great hills. And it's an easier and prettier walk to other interesting (to me) surrounding neighborhoods.

I think the relatively worse commute to SV has kept it off some people's maps.

I have always loved Halu but had a terrible experience there recently. They served a few things burnt to a crisp (to multiple parties). Like brick-hard burnt. Not sure how they didn't notice that. And someone at my table had a paper napkin cooked into her ramen. Not a good night for them.
When Halu closed for several months about a year ago, I heard a rumor it was for the chef/owner's health reasons. They were on and off (in terms of being open) for some time after that. I haven't been in a few months, but it was really great last time. I hope the same person still runs the kitchen.

I agree with you on the Inner Sunset. Very charming neighborhood with a distinct sense of place. I like it better than the Richmond, but both are nice to me. There was a time when they were a relative bargain--mostly due to the weather--but I believe that time has passed.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:38 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
When Halu closed for several months about a year ago, I heard a rumor it was for the chef/owner's health reasons. They were on and off (in terms of being open) for some time after that. I haven't been in a few months, but it was really great last time. I hope the same person still runs the kitchen.

I agree with you on the Inner Sunset. Very charming neighborhood with a distinct sense of place. I like it better than the Richmond, but both are nice to me. There was a time when they were a relative bargain--mostly due to the weather--but I believe that time has passed.
Inner sunset has the second worst weather in bay area (after daly city/pacifica along skyline) but otherwise one of the livable parts of SF.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Inner sunset has the second worst weather in bay area (after daly city/pacifica along skyline) but otherwise one of the livable parts of SF.
It is one of the livable parts, and there are many.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:41 PM

483 posts, read 842,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Worse than the Outer Sunset? At least where I live (border with Cole Valley), the fog usually seems MUCH worse when I'm in the Outer Sunset.

That said, I like the fog/cold weather!

Old 07-22-2015, 09:41 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
I am curious how people perceive the Richmond District. I have lived there for 6 years now and I still can't understand why it isn't more popular. It has great restaurants, it is right next to GGP, it is safe, cleaner than most of the city, it has great public transportation with express buses to take you to downtown and back in 20-25 mins. In addition, between the 5, 31, 38 and the 1, you never have to wait more than 5 mins for a bus. There are multiple grocery stores, cafes, etc. Good Russian and various Asian restaurants. Personally, there are only a couple of areas that I find as good to live in.

I understand the weather is not perfect, but the fog doesn't usually come in until the afternoon. The mornings are usually beautiful and have been especially gorgeous since the drought started...

Yet, there is a surprising # of empty storefronts.
My biggest concern is how freaking long it takes to get anywhere besides Marin from there. It's really far from any freeways leading South or East and not served all that well by transit. Agree with your other points, I enjoy time I do spend there (at least once or twice a month).

Old 07-22-2015, 11:27 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
Worse than the Outer Sunset? At least where I live (border with Cole Valley), the fog usually seems MUCH worse when I'm in the Outer Sunset.

That said, I like the fog/cold weather!
Outer sunset might get more fog but usually the fog is high above. In the hills of inner sunset you are in the fog layer i.e. more ground level fog. Outer sunset by the beach can be a few degrees warmer than inner sunset/golden gate heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland