Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:46 PM

62 posts, read 542,020 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am moving to the bay area in 2 weeks and i need some info on where to live. I am looking for a 1 bedroom for $1400 or less in san francisco or the peninsula. Where should i be looking? I want a safe and quiet neighborhood with plenty of restaurants and parking. Am I asking for too much in my price range. Ive heard millbrae and burlingame are good places to look. Any insight will be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 11:09 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
My apartment near El Camino & Country Club in South San Francisco meets all of those criteria. I could've spent more, but I don't think I could've done any better.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:36 PM

62 posts, read 542,020 times
If i decide to rent in South San Francisco, San Bruno, or Millbrae will i get a lot of noise from airplanes taking off or landing in sfo.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:53 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
the noise from airplanes at SB and Millbrae can be quite annoying but I think locals are accustomed.

there's a big difference between living in SF proper and living on the Peninsula as one is an urban big-city environment and the other is well, basically suburban.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:24 AM

7 posts, read 50,822 times
SF. the peninsula sucks.SF is the best theres everything out here.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:40 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,361,673 times
The typical day to day flight pattern taking off from SFO goes over San Bruno, not Millbrae. However, when it rains, planes taking off from SFO do go over part of Millbrae (near Millbrae Avenue), then make a loopy turn (south) at about where Mills High School is (and then passes over part of Burlingame, the eastern portion). And when it's very windy planes change flight direction and fly east over Millbrae, coming down from 280, and also going over some of Burlingame (west, in the hills, Trousdale area) to land at SFO. It can be loud (but is also so cool to see the planes so low overhead). It's just an occasional thing and for a short time.

If weather matters at all, Millbrae is bit more windy than Burlingame.

And both both are nice places to call home .

Old 02-25-2008, 12:35 AM

341 posts, read 902,710 times
Why live in Pacifica when you have San Francisco?

I live in a 1-bedroom for $1,100 a month in the Outer Richmond District (specifically 25th and Geary). So your budget is definitely do-able. Out here we have a few restaurant, coffee shops, and a 38-line connecting to downtown. Nothing really special or exciting, but it's very safe so there is nothing to worry about.

Check it out!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:21 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
Wow Kristinsf, that's really cheap and in a better neighborhood. I will have to check it out when I get there. They charge $1100 for a studio downtown...or more even.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:10 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
It's cheap because it's basically indistinguishable from Daly City, complete with the eternal fog and wind.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:46 PM

73 posts, read 473,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike74 View Post
Hi all, I am moving to the bay area in 2 weeks and i need some info on where to live. I am looking for a 1 bedroom for $1400 or less in san francisco or the peninsula. Where should i be looking? I want a safe and quiet neighborhood with plenty of restaurants and parking. Am I asking for too much in my price range. Ive heard millbrae and burlingame are good places to look. Any insight will be appreciated. Thank you.
I noticed you also asked about the commute to Mountain View. Why are you looking into moving to Millbrae or Burlingame if you're going to work in Mountain View. I'd just live closer to Mountain View, you should be able to find a safe and quiet neighborhood around there. I lived in Mnt. View years ago, I seem to remember a nice downtown area.

RE: M vs. B: It sounds like you are single, in that case I'd chose Burlingame. People move to Millbrae for the schools, there are some restaurants but it's a pretty boring town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland