Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 07:40 AM

77 posts, read 202,486 times

Advertisements

we will need to commute to and from Benioff Children's Mission Bay during standard rush hour times.The towns we are considering living in are:

1. Piedmont
2. Orinda
3. Albany
4. Mill Valley
5. San Mateo

Our primary considerations (in no particular order) will be 1. Minimizing commuting time, 2. School quality, 3. Weather, 4. Walkability, and 5. Diversity

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 08:00 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,639,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skraj011 View Post
we will need to commute to and from Benioff Children's Mission Bay during standard rush hour times.The towns we are considering living in are:

1. Piedmont
2. Orinda
3. Albany
4. Mill Valley
5. San Mateo

Our primary considerations (in no particular order) will be 1. Minimizing commuting time, 2. School quality, 3. Weather, 4. Walkability, and 5. Diversity

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Of all those, I believe, only Orinda has its own BART station. That will cut your commute meaningfully, because you can use public transportation to get there once you are in the city.

You will definitely have to drive from San Mateo and Mill Valley or take a bus, which still gets stuck in traffic.
From San Mateo, I guess you could also just drive to Millbrae and take Bart from there.

If I were you and commuting time was my #1 issue, I would select Orinda.

Orinda also has the best public schools in the Bay Area

It is not very diverse. Mostly white with some Asian.

Weather is amazing.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:53 AM

372 posts, read 514,133 times
Being close to Caltrain would be much more convenient than BART as BART doesn't stop near Mission Bay in SF. Also, driving across the Bay Bridge or through SF during commute hours would be torture.

My first two choices would be Burlingame and San Mateo (Baywood and Highlands areas). You could catch an express train to SF at either (San Mateo gets more express trains than Burlingame), and you have great schools K-12, excellent weather, walkability, and diversity. Add in Hillsborough if it is in your budget. Palo Alto is another option as well, though the train ride will be 40 min to SF instead of 20-25.

Last edited by calicoastal; 10-20-2015 at 09:27 AM..

Old 10-20-2015, 09:59 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoastal View Post
Being close to Caltrain would be much more convenient than BART as BART doesn't stop near Mission Bay in SF. Also, driving across the Bay Bridge or through SF during commute hours would be torture.

My first two choices would be Burlingame and San Mateo (Baywood and Highlands areas). You could catch an express train to SF at either (San Mateo gets more express trains than Burlingame), and you have great schools K-12, excellent weather, walkability, and diversity. Add in Hillsborough if it is in your budget. Palo Alto is another option as well, though the train ride will be 40 min to SF instead of 20-25.
Agree with this as well. Commute time might be similar in Orinda via BART, but you'll also be packed in like sardines on BART as well. Not ideal for someone who is working at a hospital all day to have to stand in a hot BART train next to a bunch of other people with no room to breathe in rush hour times. The peninsula is a much better choice and Caltrain is better than BART.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Agree with this as well. Commute time might be similar in Orinda via BART, but you'll also be packed in like sardines on BART as well. Not ideal for someone who is working at a hospital all day to have to stand in a hot BART train next to a bunch of other people with no room to breathe in rush hour times. The peninsula is a much better choice and Caltrain is better than BART.
MY main issue with CalTrain is reliability. Based on anecdotes, it seems to have a lot more delays than BART. If you are a doctor who needs to be in at a certain time for surgery or anything like that, Caltrain's reliability seems to be less than ideal.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:14 PM

372 posts, read 514,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
MY main issue with CalTrain is reliability. Based on anecdotes, it seems to have a lot more delays than BART. If you are a doctor who needs to be in at a certain time for surgery or anything like that, Caltrain's reliability seems to be less than ideal.
Caltrain's on-time performance for financial year 2015 was 93%. BART's was 89%.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoastal View Post
Caltrain's on-time performance for financial year 2015 was 93%. BART's was 89%.
That's really helpful. thanks a lot. I am curious what the delays are, though. Again, anecdotally, I have heard about severe caltrain delays. They also run fewer trains.

But it appears, I am wrong, so the OP shouldn't listen to me

Old 10-20-2015, 10:59 PM

520 posts, read 611,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Of all those, I believe, only Orinda has its own BART station. That will cut your commute meaningfully, because you can use public transportation to get there once you are in the city.
Both Albany and Piedmont are near BART stations. Depending on where you live, you can be closer to a BART station in either city (especially Albany) than you might be in Orinda. What I don't know confidently is how quickly the parking lots fill up at the respective stations in the morning.

I agree that the commute on Caltrain from the Peninsula is likely to be easier, although Caltrain doesn't stop right next to the hospital, so you're stuck with a walk or a MUNI transfer.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:14 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
Both Albany and Piedmont are near BART stations. Depending on where you live, you can be closer to a BART station in either city (especially Albany) than you might be in Orinda. What I don't know confidently is how quickly the parking lots fill up at the respective stations in the morning.

I agree that the commute on Caltrain from the Peninsula is likely to be easier, although Caltrain doesn't stop right next to the hospital, so you're stuck with a walk or a MUNI transfer.
There is no BART station near Mission Bay so OP would need to transfer to Muni after riding Bart which also has delays cause it gets stuck in traffic all the time, especially during ballgames. So it isn't really that reliable either.

The closest transit station is the 4th and King Caltrain station. It would be just a 20 minute walk from there to the hospital. I know because I used to live next to Caltrain and walk the Mission Bay neighborhood all the time.

I think the best scenario is to live in San Mateo near Caltrain, take your bike into SF, ride to SF, get off 4th and King, bike the last mile to the hospital. If there are any delays on Caltrain or issues with riding the train that day, it is feasible to drive from San Mateo to Mission Bay. Sure, there may be some traffic, but it is doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland