Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:18 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times

Advertisements

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The San Francisco Unified School District decided Tuesday night that it's more important to protect its own. The board voted in favor of banning out-of-district students trying to get into the highly acclaimed Ruth Asawa School of the Arts.
http://abc7news.com/education/san-fr...school/743751/

I hope I don't have to explain the irony of San Francisco position of keeping students from outside of the city from attending an arts school because of the lack of resources available for in city residents in relation to the cities position on illegal immigration and being a sanctuary city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 11:07 AM

655 posts, read 1,983,189 times
Huh? There's nothing ironic there. Admission to SOTA is by audition. It's an SFUSD magnet school. There's no good reason it should be filled with students who don't live in San Francisco--and it's not suddenly going to be filled with undocumented students because they stop admitting white kids from the suburbs. People would be up in arms if they were giving that many spots at Lowell to out-of-district transfers, and you can bet that the Lamorinda schools aren't offering transfer spots to San Francisco students in similar numbers.

Out-of-district students can always head to Oakland School for the Arts instead--that's a charter and therefore is open to all California students. Or, as SFUSD suggests, they can get their own districts to open arts magnet schools.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:36 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times
What's the share of kids in this school from the 'burbs? Anybody know? Is it like 5% or maybe a big share, like 35%? Would keeping the suburban kids out leave the school without critical mass, in terms of talented arts students?

The argument that a SF school school should be limited to SF kids flies in the face of the fact that there are many successful, highly-regarded public schools in the U.S. that are regional magnets, drawing talented kids from around the region or even the state. It's not like this is some weird, untested radical model.

The Bergen Academies in NJ, the Governor's Schools in Virginia, Central High in Philadelphia, International Academy in metro Detroit and North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (residential) are just a few I can name off the top of my head. All of these places use different ways to fund -- state, local, regional, even tuition (in the case of out-of-district kids attending Central). Looked at this way, the argument that SF schools should only educate SF kids is sort of weak, especially since this is already a small school, and SF is famously a city with few school-age few kids to begin with.

If Asawa is successful the way it is, they should just leave it alone. Why is that so difficult for San Franciscans to grasp?
'

Old 05-28-2015, 12:50 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,211 times
This OP post did not go the way I expected. I thought he was referring to the SF School District's current policy of sending kids all over the city, sometimes way outside of district boundary, to attend schools.

At any rate, illegal immigrants pay almost $12 billion state and local taxes each year. That's Billion with a "B". Out of district students don't contribute to the institution's budget, but illegal immigrants do. So this is basically apples and oranges.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
This OP post did not go the way I expected. I thought he was referring to the SF School District's current policy of sending kids all over the city, sometimes way outside of district boundary, to attend schools.

At any rate, illegal immigrants pay almost $12 billion state and local taxes each year. That's Billion with a "B". Out of district students don't contribute to the institution's budget, but illegal immigrants do. So this is basically apples and oranges.
The costs of illegals is much higher than the taxes they pay. Especially when you account for how they depress wages. The cost of schooling for the children of illegals is more than the total paid in taxes.

That is the irony, the city stops non residents from attending a school because of lack of resources for city students while allowing tens of thousands illegal to stay in the city and use up the same limited resources.

Just wait until the healthcare for illegals bill they are trying to pass goes through. The burden on tax payers will increase substantially.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:14 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
What's the share of kids in this school from the 'burbs? Anybody know? Is it like 5% or maybe a big share, like 35%? Would keeping the suburban kids out leave the school without critical mass, in terms of talented arts students?

The argument that a SF school school should be limited to SF kids flies in the face of the fact that there are many successful, highly-regarded public schools in the U.S. that are regional magnets, drawing talented kids from around the region or even the state. It's not like this is some weird, untested radical model.

The Bergen Academies in NJ, the Governor's Schools in Virginia, Central High in Philadelphia, International Academy in metro Detroit and North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (residential) are just a few I can name off the top of my head. All of these places use different ways to fund -- state, local, regional, even tuition (in the case of out-of-district kids attending Central). Looked at this way, the argument that SF schools should only educate SF kids is sort of weak, especially since this is already a small school, and SF is famously a city with few school-age few kids to begin with.

If Asawa is successful the way it is, they should just leave it alone. Why is that so difficult for San Franciscans to grasp?
'
I think I read 14% somewhere, but don't quote me on that. It's in one of the recent articles on the issue, though.

I love the idea of regional magnets broadly, but they are posited on the idea that different participating districts all contribute. In this case, San Francisco Unified is paying for a school and is then allowing students from other districts to have seats in it (although they do, of course, get per capita funding for those students--but no more than they would get if those students were from within the city)--something that California has decided is at the discretion of both the sending and receiving district to control. (That is, your sending district must approve you leaving, and your receiving district must approve you coming in.) There's also a secondary issue that SF, like many CA cities, is losing many school-age kids to charter and private schools and there is much grumbling about the dearth of strong high school options in the city, so it seems wise to keep those schools open to SF residents to the extent possible. (I don't live in SF so I have no horse in this race, but I can absolutely see, from both the School Board's and SF parents' perspectives, why this would be the appropriate decision. Losing one in seven students doesn't seem likely to fundamentally compromise the quality of the school's programs.) I could also see proposing a one-for-one student spot swap with an equally strong school in the sending districts to make other types of high-performing high schools available to SF students, but again, I don't think you'll get any of the suburban districts agreeing to that.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:23 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The San Francisco Unified School District decided Tuesday night that it's more important to protect its own. The board voted in favor of banning out-of-district students trying to get into the highly acclaimed Ruth Asawa School of the Arts.
School board votes to allow only students from San Francisco to attend Ruth Asawa School of the Arts | abc7news.com

I hope I don't have to explain the irony of San Francisco position of keeping students from outside of the city from attending an arts school because of the lack of resources available for in city residents in relation to the cities position on illegal immigration and being a sanctuary city.
I was more surprised that their are still any kids still living in the City...or enough to fill up an Arts based school (where kids must audition to be accepted).

I feel badly for the kids that live outside of the City since they don't have something like this for them in their own cities. I do hope some City/County will step up and build!

I don't, however see this as ironic since the children of the illegal immigrants actually LIVE in San Francisco. They pay local taxes. Are you suggesting that children (illegally here or not) should NOT be able to have access to an education?

I'd say your beef is more with San Francisco being a "sanctuary city" which is another issue altogether- which may be your legitimate complaint.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I was more surprised that their are still any kids still living in the City...or enough to fill up an Arts based school (where kids must audition to be accepted).

I feel badly for the kids that live outside of the City since they don't have something like this for them in their own cities. I do hope some City/County will step up and build!

I don't, however see this as ironic since the children of the illegal immigrants actually LIVE in San Francisco. They pay local taxes. Are you suggesting that children (illegally here or not) should NOT be able to have access to an education?

I'd say your beef is more with San Francisco being a "sanctuary city" which is another issue altogether- which may be your legitimate complaint.
The children of illegals shouldn't be in the city. How can they pay taxes if they are working illegally? Sales tax is a pittance compared to a legal resident/citizens tax burden.

I don't have a problem with San Francisco limiting the school to residents only, but the reasoning they are giving (lack of resources) while they embrace illegals is laughable.

It is very hard to find intellectual honesty in individuals and groups.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:32 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The costs of illegals is much higher than the taxes they pay. Especially when you account for how they depress wages. The cost of schooling for the children of illegals is more than the total paid in taxes.

That is the irony, the city stops non residents from attending a school because of lack of resources for city students while allowing tens of thousands illegal to stay in the city and use up the same limited resources.

Just wait until the healthcare for illegals bill they are trying to pass goes through. The burden on tax payers will increase substantially.
I'm all in favor of finding a way to tax the illegals like a citizen; I'm talking income tax, social security (even tough they are entitled to it), etc. I'm also open to forcing illegals to buy health insurance.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I'm all in favor of finding a way to tax the illegals like a citizen; I'm talking income tax, social security (even tough they are entitled to it), etc. I'm also open to forcing illegals to buy health insurance.
They can do all those things when they become legal residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland