Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 04:32 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,339 times

Advertisements

With housing prices almost doubling in 4 years, it's hard to believe people continue to buy property.

I have a friend that just purchased a house in Walnut Creek for $900,000. The same house sold for $400,000 in 2012. He and his wife pull in nearly 250k/year between the two of them, and he said "it's going to be a struggle."

Is there a "stupid bug" going around in the East Bay? What is possessing people to pay astronomical prices for mediocre homes?

With the house prices far outpacing everything else(inflation, income, etc), it's amazing to me that people are still buying.

I will never understand why so many people here will spend 40% of their income every month on their houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 08:09 AM

16 posts, read 23,599 times
When the startup economy tanks (any day now) and those jobs are lost in SF, the East Bay will get hit the hardest because it is far from the jobs in Silicon Valley that will still remain. This happened last time, East Bay prices really plummeted while other areas went down but not as much. So that would be the time to buy.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:03 AM

520 posts, read 611,050 times
Sure, 2006.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:14 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times
Default Has there been a worse time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
With housing prices almost doubling in 4 years, it's hard to believe people continue to buy property.

I have a friend that just purchased a house in Walnut Creek for $900,000. The same house sold for $400,000 in 2012. He and his wife pull in nearly 250k/year between the two of them, and he said "it's going to be a struggle."

Is there a "stupid bug" going around in the East Bay? What is possessing people to pay astronomical prices for mediocre homes?

With the house prices far outpacing everything else(inflation, income, etc), it's amazing to me that people are still buying.

I will never understand why so many people here will spend 40% of their income every month on their houses.

You may have several valid points there but what do you propose as a solution or an alternative?

Old 12-07-2015, 09:18 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Well, the crash brought prices lower than they had been for many, many years. They're actually back where they were, plus expected appreciation. The people who were lucky enough to buy during the crash experienced a miracle, basically.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:47 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
Sure, 2006.
Agreed, there are areas of the East Bay still well below 2006 peak home prices. Home prices could be worse believe it or not...

Old 12-07-2015, 10:03 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,793 times
I wouldn't say it's just the East Bay though. This is just about everywhere in Bay Area. People tend to operate on fear (that the prices will still go up-- running away from them) and they react accordingly.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:06 AM

901 posts, read 1,167,440 times
Easy to explain. There are a ton of high income earners (like your friend, although 250k is not that high here) and buying right now is actually cheaper than renting - if one can come up with a downpayment.

A ton of these people want to stop renting. I think your friend's struggle is probably about not being able to save much. He/she will be fine with payments if they don't overspend on dumb stuff. 250k is a good "bottom level" income. (Yes, that's crazy.)

Plus, if you have children, there are strong incentives to get stability (not worrying about losing your lease, wanting to make improvements, wanting to stay in one school district, etc)

So given that buying is cheaper, even one loses a bit on home value, as long as one will be staying in the area for 10 years+, buying makes sense. So a lot of people earn enough and want to do it. And there's not nearly enough supply, for 20 different reasons.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:17 AM

572 posts, read 598,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post

As others have said. I think if you were in a position to buy a home in 2012 then your timing was amazing!! Who knows if prices will drop like that again? Many people were saying in 2013 and 2014 that the market was too crazy as houses went for 20%+ over asking price and they would wait it out. I bet they wished they'd bought that house back then. Don't forget that rentals are astronomical also right now...and those prices can keep getting raised on you.

I know it's tough to remember now that everywhere is booming again, but those years we experienced those big drops in housing prices were also coupled with devastating economic consequences for many families. Huge layoffs, CA state budget in a mess, stocks had bottomed out.

If housing prices do drop like that again then it is likely that many people will be back in survival mode and not able to buy a home. If you are sitting flush with cash and waiting for a great deal then maybe one day you will be rewarded. But if you depend on a paycheck, stock investments, or a healthy economy to keep your small business afloat then you will be greatly effected by the environment that causes a real estate crash.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:51 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,221 times
2006-2007 was a worse time to buy from today's perspective perhaps from tomorrows perspective today will be a worse time. But we can't say that now. I was only of the fortune ones who missed out on the fever pitched buying frenzy of the early to mid 2000's. While friends and coworkers were not so lucky. I bought my house in 2011 for $310k it's probably worth $600k now. Giving serious thought to cashing in my chips and moving out of the bay area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland