Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 11:08 AM

572 posts, read 599,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Old grumps, hahaha. Yeah, it's so cool to have choice A and choice B, and to be sure that choice A is better, when it is not in objective reality. Go have fun, tough it out, be poor, then you'll come and complain endlessly about housing, and be depressed, meanwhile, your friends will be renting awesome houses and apartments elsewhere in the US, and have more job mobility. But you'll be in the Bay Area!!!

Saw this 4 years ago when I had a team of young 20-somethings working in my company. All had stars in their eyes, none were in tech and all wound up leaving because of housing. It took a few years. Maybe some felt it was worth it.

But yeah, old grumps, we have no knowledge. We were never young. Blah, blah blah.
Fair enough you are right. But time goes by quick. Gotta have fun and enjoy your youth and take some risks and have some adventures. Make those mistakes, or seize those opportunities without constant fear.

I left the Bay Area because of housing too. But I wouldn't change my 10 years there for anything. It's tough to make it with a family but if it's just a single person or a couple it's a much different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 11:45 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
I'm with daepro. Don't let these old grumps scare you away!

You sound smart, have thought this through, and excited for this opportunity. Plenty of people make it work on that kind of salary - you'll be fine as long as you don't mind living pretty frugally until you get more established. Give yourself adequate time to find aplace to live - maybe consider a shared house with another couple or roommates for the short-term. You'll find somewhere eventually there's a lot of competition for housing but there's a lot of turnover also.

How do you people think that UC Berkeley students manage each year?? Grad studentsmake less that $50k per year yet they still manage to get by. A lot of undergrads do it on student loans. So chill.

If your BF is interested in a program at Cal - maybe he could look for a researchor teaching gig within the University setup for work. It would be a good way to get to know professors and students in the field he is interested in.

In terms of neighborhoods to look at - consider the NorthOakland/Berkeley/Albany/El Cerrito areas that you can either walk or bike orbus to a BART station to commute to SF. Depending on how far out you end uphaving to live will depend on whether you need a car or not.

If I was 22 and had a guaranteed job paying $50k I wouldn't hesitate to make the move. Shoot I did it with no job lined up - granted it was 10 years ago and things are pricier and more competitive than ever - but still. $50k is a solid starting salary for someone who is 22 and just out of college. If it doesn't work out in a year or two- just figure out what is next. Just don't get yourself in debt trying to make it work. Good luck to you.
This is bad advice. It only works if you managed to secure housing 5 years ago. At today's market rates it is impossible. Housing in Oakland near BART is out of their reach on a $50k income. Honestly it is hardly in reach with a $100k income.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:39 PM

572 posts, read 599,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This is bad advice. It only works if you managed to secure housing 5 years ago. At today's market rates it is impossible. Housing in Oakland near BART is out of their reach on a $50k income. Honestly it is hardly in reach with a $100k income.
Just trying to offset the doom and gloom that's always found on this forum. I'm well aware of the housing crisis. I had to leave the Bay Area because of it. But the OP is committed to this move and has an exciting opportunity. It's good that she gets the realists on here but this is America and guess what - there are still rewards out there for taking risks. She's not moving here with no qualifications and no prospects.

They will have to hole themselves up in a tiny studio, or share a larger house with other people, and commit to paying half her income to rent - but it can be done. They'll meet people - someone will give them a break.

If she hates it - she leaves after a year. Done.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:17 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daepro View Post
Go for it. You both sound level headed and prepared. Good things will happen if you put yourselves in the right place. Suggest having your BF find a substitute teaching job in Oakland while he looks for more lucrative employment. He will make about $100 a day plus he may find the experience rewarding. Oakland needs people like him.
Isn't a teaching certificate required to teach in California.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:25 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Not for a sub; you only need to pass CBEST, which is a joke. With that said, relying on subbing for regular income isn't wise. People who I know who have subbed have only lasted a few months since the hours are so inconsistent. Better off landing a serving job.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:43 PM

540 posts, read 653,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Why not? Sure, neither is really all that nice (at least the parts they'd be able to afford- both have desirable areas), but they're both certainly cheaper than Oakland and have BART lines... If they are dead set on moving here, I can't really think of any other options unless they want to be an hour plus away in Antioch or Baypoint...
Haywards OK but Richmond on that budget will put them in danger.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
Just trying to offset the doom and gloom that's always found on this forum. I'm well aware of the housing crisis. I had to leave the Bay Area because of it. But the OP is committed to this move and has an exciting opportunity. It's good that she gets the realists on here but this is America and guess what - there are still rewards out there for taking risks. She's not moving here with no qualifications and no prospects.

They will have to hole themselves up in a tiny studio, or share a larger house with other people, and commit to paying half her income to rent - but it can be done. They'll meet people - someone will give them a break.

If she hates it - she leaves after a year. Done.
I think you are overestimating what is available at that price range in Oakland/Berkeley near BART. They need to look further out. A friend of mine had to move to Sacramento due to housing costs at that income.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:20 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Why not? Sure, neither is really all that nice (at least the parts they'd be able to afford- both have desirable areas), but they're both certainly cheaper than Oakland and have BART lines... If they are dead set on moving here, I can't really think of any other options unless they want to be an hour plus away in Antioch or Baypoint...
Vallejo if they didn't mind taking the craptastic bus to BART (ferry might be another option though)

SF bay area apartments / housing rentals - craigslist

Martinez could work too, there are still some duplex/ in-law units for under $1200 a month

Martinez ... Alhambra Ave at Walgreens

Studio Apt near Downtown Martinez

Other than that, maybe Richmond (some neighorhoods are ok) El Sobrante, Pinole

Old 12-23-2015, 02:27 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,692 times
It it hasn't already been said:

Do not move here for a $50k/year job. That's seriously nothing here. For 2 people it isn't impossible, but if you're a typical American, you're going to struggle. Hard.

People that move here for the opportunity are typically in tech and command salaries well over 100k. Even some of them struggle and have to get roommates.

"Cheap" rent in a tiny studio in a safe neighborhood starts around $1600/month. You'd be lucky to find that right now. Rent where I am in Lafayette is $1850/month for a 500sq ft shoebox.

$1600 is too much for someone making 50k/year.

Sure, the allure of a big city and a new opportunity might sound fun. But the reality is, you're facing a 2+ hour commute every day, dealing with city stress, and only making peanuts. If the job payed over $100k/year, I'd say welcome to the jungle.

At 50k, it would be fun for the first month or two, but then you'd hate life. If you're hell bent on being here, I'd keep looking for another job and make sure you both had work before moving here.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:08 PM

6 posts, read 5,008 times
Thanks for all of the sound advice, inspiring support, and thoughtful reality checks. So here's some more info...

1. We are moving with about 100k in stocks and 40k in savings. So I think we have a strong enough safety net. Some may think we would be wasting too much of this money and would be better of spending it/saving it otherwise, but oh well.

2. With that safety net, I seriously doubt the BF won't be able to find work in time. It's not like we are trying to live of of 50k total over the course of years. He has plenty to pay his way.

3. Our college debt is minimal.

4. If things aren't working out in our favor (ie I don't get a healthy raise in ~2 years, BF can't find a job, savings are getting lower than we would like) then we will move somewhere like NYC where we will both have plenty of prospects.

5. We currently share 800sqft with 1 roommate. I've shared less than 200 with a roommate in Hong Kong for four months...We are really close. We can live in small quarters. We also don't really value material possessions. More about experiences. Also, we are down to live with cool roommates while we are young (like we do now).

All that being said, does this still sound like a completely irrational plan? I feel like our savings are substantial enough and if things don't work out, I've gained a bit of work experience and a nice resume booster. Also the job does include a severance package.

PS I've already signed and am currently working remotely. So don't tell me to not take the job.

PPS We are both guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland