Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:05 AM

540 posts, read 654,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Yeah those crazy suburbanites...scared of a city with the nations highest crime rate. What are they thinking?
Oakland doesn't have the nations highest crime rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 11:18 AM

6,418 posts, read 8,289,255 times
Even if it were true (it isn't), it's not stopping people flooding into Oakland and making it the hottest rental market in the country. Oakland isn't for everyone, but it being a "secret" or "up and coming" is over. It's already arrived.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:24 AM

958 posts, read 1,149,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Even if it were true (it isn't), it's not stopping people flooding into Oakland and making it the hottest rental market in the country. Oakland isn't for everyone, but it being a "secret" or "up and coming" is over. It's already arrived.
FBI’s Violent Crime Statistics For Every City In America « CBS Chicago

Yes i was wrong it is now only # 3 behind st louis and detroit. Progress! And yes it is getting overflow from sf market and booming like crazy. My only point is that mocking people in the suburbs as if their fears are ridicluous is offbase, smug, and pretentious.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:46 AM

6,418 posts, read 8,289,255 times
What are you talking about? Nobody is mocking anyone. People are providing useful advice and saying Oakland probably isn't a good fit, given the OP's preferences. Sounds like YOU are bored in the suburbs and projecting...

Old 02-03-2016, 06:08 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,726,673 times
The best way I can describe Oakland is as a collection of neighborhoods... there is no one Oakland.

Oakland has major league sports franchises, international airport, port, rail, corporate home to worldwide companies... birthplace of the California UC system, first wildlife sanctuary in the country... natural redwoods, thousands of acres of parks... minutes to San Francisco, nearly perfect climate, a very multicultural city, multi-million dollar homes and starter homes...

Five generations of my family have called Oakland home.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:48 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,819,470 times
Crime & blight...it really depends a lot on what neighborhood in Oakland. I usually have a bit heightened sense of awareness when in Oakland. But, with the right neighborhood, I would prefer Oakland over living in Contra Costa Co......

Old 02-03-2016, 06:58 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,017,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Crime & blight...it really depends a lot on what neighborhood in Oakland. I usually have a bit heightened sense of awareness when in Oakland. But, with the right neighborhood, I would prefer Oakland over living in Contra Costa Co......

LoL that is not much of a measuring stick. Just about everything is better than Contra Costa County, except maybe Solano

Oakland is okay, but definitely over rated and hyped out. I always get a chuckle when people try to compare it to Brooklyn.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:30 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,819,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
LoL that is not much of a measuring stick. Just about everything is better than Contra Costa County, except maybe Solano

Oakland is okay, but definitely over rated and hyped out. I always get a chuckle when people try to compare it to Brooklyn.
Depends on what someone's definition of "better" is.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:27 AM

958 posts, read 1,149,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
What are you talking about? Nobody is mocking anyone. People are providing useful advice and saying Oakland probably isn't a good fit, given the OP's preferences. Sounds like YOU are bored in the suburbs and projecting...
LOL... wasnt replying to you, buddy. I was referring to borninamess and his snotty comment about cd posters. Enjoy your expensive and crime-riddled city....

Old 02-04-2016, 09:35 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,330,445 times
I think I have all the answers I need now! I appreciate all help and responses.

No need to get in a tizzy and argue with anyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland