Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:47 AM

379 posts, read 785,897 times

Advertisements

I agree with most of the posters that, based on your desires and interests, you'll be disappointed in the Bay Area if all you can afford is Concord. Concord is a solid suburban blue-collar town, but it doesn't have much going on there. It's a very typical car-centric suburb, and you'll get tired of the long BART ride or drive into San Francisco, Berkeley, or Oakland to do things and see people. When I lived in Vacaville for a year (which is even further out than Concord, to be fair), I ended up spending a lot of time sitting at home watching TV because everything of interest was so far away.

Since you have no compelling job or family reason to be here, you'd probably be better off looking for another city. Being from Chicago and having family living there now, other than cold weather I think its North Side would be perfect for your needs and budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 09:49 AM

35 posts, read 33,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Thanks again for the replies.
The biggest reason I was thiking Bay Area is because I'm scared of the cold. Anything below 60 degrees warrants a hat and gloves for a sissy like me
That rules out the Cities for sure. You won't find a ton of career driven people there either, it's going to be much more like Denver. The coasts are definitely where you find the career first, life second sorts of A type personalities.

Have you thought about some place like Austin, Texas?

Old 02-18-2016, 10:06 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,444,112 times
Thanks again for the input, I appreciate it.

NJEmmert, I will be transferring for a promotion to another office internally, and unfortunately the Twin Cities offer the biggest jump career-wise. And since I'm a workaholic, admittedly, I would love to get on that opportunity.

We don't have an office in Austin but have one in Houston, there isn't much movement there though.

Chicago would be a fun city to live in but with the new responsibilities I might not be able to enjoy it for a while until I get in the groove.

I'm thinking to tough it out in MSP, save up some money (which will be easy to do there) and head back out West in a much better place financially.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:41 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,082,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Sure you can do this move, but if you do, you're going to be in the car a lot. Traffic here is bad, and gets worse every year. Are you up for the financial pressures that come with living in one of the 2 or 3 most expensive areas in the US? (Seattle is not in the top 2 or 3, btw)

I personally would not move here at all given your age and social wants unless a) I could live in Oakland, Berkeley, or maybe right next door (El Cerrito, Albany, etc - not Richmond) or b) I could live in SF proper AND c) I could afford to live in those places, pay rent for an apartment that was decent that wasn't on a main road and had decent light, without thin walls, with a in-unit dishwasher and kitchen ventilation, and - key - also earned enough to also save money. There's a lot of crappy housing at the bottom tier of the Bay Area.

In short, the Bay Area is nice if you are a high earner (or inherited real estate), but not so much if one is forced to live in the most inconvenient fringes (and have a poor commute to work and social life) and deal with traffic.
^this

Old 02-22-2016, 12:36 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Thanks again for the input, I appreciate it.

NJEmmert, I will be transferring for a promotion to another office internally, and unfortunately the Twin Cities offer the biggest jump career-wise. And since I'm a workaholic, admittedly, I would love to get on that opportunity.

We don't have an office in Austin but have one in Houston, there isn't much movement there though.

Chicago would be a fun city to live in but with the new responsibilities I might not be able to enjoy it for a while until I get in the groove.

I'm thinking to tough it out in MSP, save up some money (which will be easy to do there) and head back out West in a much better place financially.

Do what is best for your career and go to MSP. Life is too short to live in Concord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland