Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 09:52 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post

For a single person, I'd say minimum $100,000-$110,000 for SF and minimum $70,000 for East Bay. This is reality.
No, that is completely incorrect and completely crap. If someone was trying to rent a whole apartment to themselves, yes, I would agree with the above statement. But the poster is just one person and just one person needs a bed, not a whole apartment.

I make $11.25/hr (about 16k/year) and I live in Silicon Valley. I share a one bedroom. Where do you think the people live who clean the toilets in your office? They live in SF, too. They don't make 100k.

At the minimum wage, you're sharing an apartment, and you might not even have your own room (I don't), but yes, you can live in the area. I'm not sure about SF, but the law in SJ says two people per 100 square feet, which means basically two people per bedroom.

The OP's main problem is her cats. 10 cats is far too many, especially given that she may not even have a room to herself. It is true that most places don't even allow one cat.

Anyway, OP, you need to research it on craigslist.

A room for $500 in SF that allows cats:

Sunny clean fully furnished room
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 09:58 PM

958 posts, read 1,147,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gejufan View Post
Cats are not negotiable, I will not give my cats away because of a job offer. I am fine with living slightly further away and commuting.
I can't live with a roommate, i've done it before and I hated every second of it. Again willing to sacrifice location to be able to keep both of these.

What are the dangerous areas in the SF - Bay & neighboring towns?
You are not understanding: it isnt just sf... its the whole area that will be tough to find a rental for 5 cats. Moving further out will not make much difference. Due to liability and potential damages, pet owning is increasingly becoming a homeowners luxury. Not just in the bay area. By eliminating the roommate option the bay is just too expensive for you. Also keep in mind that if you are looking at craigslist the 1700 apts are often either scams or in dangerous areas.

Dangerous areas: east oakland, parts of richmond, marin city, east palo alto, parts of concord, hunters point bayview in sf, tenderloin in sf. You might be able to find something in your range exactly in those neighborhoods? But even in those neighborhoods, i bet landlords are getting tighter on pets...

Old 03-10-2016, 10:01 PM

197 posts, read 271,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
No, that is completely incorrect and completely crap. If someone was trying to rent a whole apartment to themselves, yes, I would agree with the above statement. But the poster is just one person and just one person needs a bed, not a whole apartment.

I make $11.25/hr (about 16k/year) and I live in Silicon Valley. I share a one bedroom. Where do you think the people live who clean the toilets in your office? They live in SF, too. They don't make 100k.

At the minimum wage, you're sharing an apartment, and you might not even have your own room (I don't), but yes, you can live in the area. I'm not sure about SF, but the law in SJ says two people per 100 square feet, which means basically two people per bedroom.

The OP's main problem is her cats. 10 cats is far too many, especially given that she may not even have a room to herself. It is true that most places don't even allow one cat.

Of course it's possible. But when you are in your 30's, do you really think you want to split rent on a 1 bedroom apartment in the ghetto!?

Come on.

Once you hit 30 you better be in a career and saving for your future. Not moving to the most expensive place in the USA and hoping to get by to split rent on a 500sq ft 1 bedroom with a stranger. F that.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:

OP doesn't want a room, they want an apartment to themselves. Your advice doesn't match the poster's requirements.

Additionally OP, you aren't going to find many, if any landlords who will let you rent a $1700 apartment at your income level.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Of course it's possible. But when you are in your 30's, do you really think you want to split rent on a 1 bedroom apartment in the ghetto!?
I'm 38 lol.

Quote:
Once you hit 30 you better be in a career and saving for your future. Not moving to the most expensive place in the USA and hoping to get by to split rent on a 500sq ft 1 bedroom with a stranger. F that.
This sounds like somebody who's from a small town, not somebody who is from a big city. In big cities, you have less space to yourself.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:10 PM

379 posts, read 785,706 times
Unfortunately, it's going to be nearly impossible to find rentals for five cats, even if you had a high budget. The vast majority of places that accept pets set a max limit at two. Most people in your situation buy right away, and it doesn't sound like that's in your budget. I'd advise looking in another area (perhaps a more rural one with low demand for housing) for work if the cats are a priority.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
OP doesn't want a room, they want an apartment to themselves. Your advice doesn't match the poster's requirements.
lol....at the minimum wage nobody in any city is going to rent an apartment to themselves. Maybe a small town in the middle of nowhere, in which the median home price is $100. Welcome to the big city, baby.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:22 PM

197 posts, read 271,336 times
Quote:
I'm 38 lol.

This sounds like somebody who's from a small town, not somebody who is from a big city. In big cities, you have less space to yourself.

Phoenix, Az area is like the #6 biggest city area in the country.

It's just being realistic. Once you hit 30, have a family, etc...you really need to start planning for the future. Moving across the country to SF for a minimum wage job where the only realistic chance at housing will be a very high risk situation is just plain dumb.

We just moved here and the ONLY reason I moved with my company is because I already own property in Arizona. I would never move here to be cash strapped and being a forever renter due to the housing situation here making it difficult to save money.

The Bay is an odd place. It's really a place for 3 people: millionaires. People who grew up here and have access to cheap housing. And regular people who are pretty cash strapped or poor.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:28 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gejufan View Post
I am in the interviewing process for a job in SF.
The position is of a pastry chef, the pay I understood I would be offered is the SF minimum wage: $13/hour which should bring me in 2080 before taxes, in addition I have an extra $900 a month from a property I own and rent back in my home country.

I am a 30 year old single woman + five cats.

What is the attitude among home - owners to multiple cats? I can probably shell up to 1500 (maybe 1700 depending on utilities and various taxes) a month for rent- I am not looking to have a roommate.
I am thinking large studio/1bed/2bed
Do NOT move here. You won't make enough to afford your own place, and very few people are going to rent to you with 5 cats in tow. When I first moved here, I was making much more than you will be and I still couldn't afford a place without a roommate, even in the outskirts of the East Bay (while still on a BART line). Not gonna happen, sorry.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
It's just being realistic. Once you hit 30, have a family, etc...you really need to start planning for the future.
Not everybody has the same plan, dude. Not everybody has the same goals. Not everybody wants children, for one. I used to but never had the opportunity. Therefore I will never get married either. In all probability I'm never going to have a girlfriend or sex partner, even though I've always wanted to be in a relationship.

Other people over 30 are raising families out of a rented bedroom in a shared apartment. It happens. I'm glad for you that you've found some economic success. Enjoy it. Just realize that not everybody shares your success and not everybody shares your goals. If they did, your success would be a lot less meaningful.

Quote:
Moving across the country to SF for a minimum wage job where the only realistic chance at housing will be a very high risk situation
Having roommates isn't high risk. I've lived with other people my entire life. In the military -- Navy submarines -- I had far less personal space than I do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland