Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 05:11 PM

13,745 posts, read 8,004,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
...Oakland requires owners to pay for garbage service... garbage can be a huge problem in that many are not carefull... baby diapers in the paper recycling... trash in the yard waster... lid doesn't close... for a time I had to make weekly garbage checks because the fees add up and it can be months down the road before the owner even knows.
Sure they add up. However, what can actually be done if the renters don`t give a damn? I don`t know the rental laws in Oakland but my guess is not much.

I`ve got a home in East Mesa, AZ which is under an HOA and residents are not allowed to leave their trash bins on the curb after the pick-up day. I have a renter on a month to month lease and I`ve warned this woman if I receive another HOA violation about her not following the rules she`s gone.

And the law allows me to do this.

Last edited by john3232; 04-03-2016 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're right that with some of the cases, it was a LL investing in improvements, then using that to raise the rent to more than the tenants could afford.

It's rough to be renting, never knowing how long you'll be in the unit, never being able to count on being there long-term. I wonder how Europe deals with this, where the majority of householders are renters. Maybe they don't have this phenomenon of localized boom economies, like Seattle and the Bay Area. Or maybe there are other controls.
Well, if I want to live in Hawaii, New York or Tokyo I can expect to pay a lot more than say in Gilbert, Az.

The cost of living in the Bay Area is extremely high and has been for some time now. A big reason why I invested in property in the Phoenix metro area is the cost of housing. A family of four can live quite nicely on 75 grand a year. I like SF as much as the next person but the housing cost is ridiculous.

Hell, I left SF in 1991 because rents were getting too high. I moved to Dallas Tx, where I got a nice apartment for $230 a month.

Last edited by john3232; 04-03-2016 at 06:03 PM..

Old 04-03-2016, 07:05 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Well, if I want to live in Hawaii, New York or Tokyo I can expect to pay a lot more than say in Gilbert, Az.

The cost of living in the Bay Area is extremely high and has been for some time now. A big reason why I invested in property in the Phoenix metro area is the cost of housing. A family of four can live quite nicely on 75 grand a year. I like SF as much as the next person but the housing cost is ridiculous.

Hell, I left SF in 1991 because rents were getting too high. I moved to Dallas Tx, where I got a nice apartment for $230 a month.
Too bad affordable places have ****ty weather or horrible natural disasters.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Too bad affordable places have ****ty weather or horrible natural disasters.

True, but the extreme cost of living in the Bay Area often outweighs living in another state with crappy weather. My wife loves the weather in AZ particularly because the winters are so mild.

Me? I`m not a fan of the intense summers but if someone is going to pay me almost 4 grand a month to live in my SF home I can tolerate it. (And if I had to rent I could find a similar house in Gilbert, AZ for $1500 a month.)

Last edited by john3232; 04-03-2016 at 08:20 PM..

Old 04-03-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
True, but the extreme cost of living in the Bay Area often outweighs living in another state with crappy weather. My wife loves the weather in AZ particularly because the winters are so mild.

Me? I`m not a fan of the intense summers but if someone is going to pay me almost 4 grand a month to live in my SF home I can tolerate it. (And if I had to rent I could find a similar house in Gilbert, AZ for $1500 a month.)
Can't you just change locations during different seasons?

Old 04-03-2016, 10:47 PM

Maybe but I like the rent money. However, a lot of people do just that. Plenty of people from other parts of the US
spend the winter months in AZ. A lot of Canadians too.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Maybe but I like the rent money. However, a lot of people do just that. Plenty of people from other parts of the US
spend the winter months in AZ. A lot of Canadians too.
How do you avoid getting ravaged by taxes? Also how do you find jobs outside of the bay area?

Old 04-04-2016, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
How do you avoid getting ravaged by taxes? Also how do you find jobs outside of the bay area?
Owning rental properties has never been easy but one advantages is the write-offs. The income I earn from the SF rental is off-set by losses from previous years and/or my other rentals. As far as employment goes I spend most of the year working outside the US.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:36 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:

That's not the point. That's not the problem. The problem is unstable rents. Rents that jump up so much in 3-4 years that people are pushed farther and farther away from where they live, or have to downsize until there's no downsizing options left. People forced to move every few years because of rent increases they can't afford. This is a rare phenomenon that only happens in a few urban areas in the US, and not at all in Europe. So I was wondering how rent stability is achieved. Even in expensive cities like Geneva, people don't have to pull up stakes and search for a cheaper apartment every few years, or even every 10 years.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:23 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are limits, yet we've had people posting here about huge rent increases that forced them out, and our long-term posters/Oakland residents have commented on those threads something about landlords finding ways to force tenants out of rent-controlled apartments so they could bring the rent up to current rates, or something. There have been people evicted on flimsy excuses (as deemed by our readership), in what seems to be an attempt to re-adjust rental rates beyond what's allowed for continuing tenants. So there are ways around those limits.
Most buildings in the region are not under rent control (hence the vast majority of complaints in the region).

There are some loopholes to get around rent-control, as well - such as what was done here in SF (the story behind all of this was a big mess):
The Family Dispute Behind Infamous Bernal Heights Rent Hike | Boomtown | News Fix | KQED News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland