Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 12:42 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Pretty sure this is a troll post
You'd be amazed at how many people post these sorts of questions here. Sadly, I'm pretty sure most of them are legit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 01:10 PM

677 posts, read 835,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
For whatever reason, there is a double standard in our society. Its ok to be culturally insular when you're not a white male. You see that in the workplace in the Silicon Valley, as anything non-white male is viewed as "diverse". Makes you kind of sick.
True. Do you know what they call white people who only want to live among white people?

Old 04-15-2016, 01:02 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdev View Post
why would your son have trouble in a "not mostly asian" neighborhood?

This may be surprising to you, but the majority of whites, blacks, and hispanics are not bad people.

Are you originally from the united states?

This is a problem with many asian immigrants here. They want to live here but don't want to assimilate.
Quote:
This is a problem with many immigrants here. They want to live here but don't want to assimilate.
FTFY

This is partially why my SF primaries reminder postcard is in 4 languages.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:45 PM

219 posts, read 316,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali View Post
I think you need to consider when the minorities look for minority filled communities, they're thinking there will some asians, hispanics, or blacks and not necessarily where the minority group is a majority. Just from my experience helping asians find places to live in the DC area. They're not looking for majority of asians, just where there are some asians.

If you are the only minority town, it really sucks.
He ask for places with "mostly Asian" mostly can mean from 50% to 99%. I guess for Indians, Asians are okay but whites latinos and blacks are not.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:32 PM

457 posts, read 756,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
You'd be amazed at how many people post these sorts of questions here. Sadly, I'm pretty sure most of them are legit.
I have been around in these boards a lot, and I know a lot of posts here are well disguised troll posts

Old 04-18-2016, 03:12 PM

31 posts, read 37,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livermore_Stats View Post
Where do most of the Indian/Asian live in Livermore. My son currently goes to an school where most of them are Asian, we are relocating to Livermore and want to move to an area where there are mostly Asian, so my son wont have any trouble.
I am Indian myself however I find this kind of attitude that most Indians/Asians have to be very counter productive to the American society. Why not let your child grow up to be an American, instead of Asian American, Indian American etc. What's so wrong about American culture that you deem your child superior to other American children so that he hangs out exclusively with the other Indian/Asian American kids.

If Asia/India were such a wonderful paradise, why even bother coming to the US which is a mix of cultures. Don't get me wrong I believe it's great to preserve your culture and all that but that can also be done by sharing and caring for other cultures. Why even identify yourself with a cultural reference when you can do so using your humanitarian approach. Humanity >> Culture.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
But don't you want your son to be exposed to other cultures/races (i.e., the real world)? What happens if your son ends up working in Alabama after he graduates from school? Wouldn't it be much more difficult for him then if he's never had to deal with people of other cultures/races before in his life? This isn't Asia, so wouldn't it be to his benefit to learn how to assimilate with all Americans?
I am sorry to let you know that there are a lot of Asian/Indian American families that think this way, I call it "falling in line with the herd". I try as much as I can to make friends with people from all backgrounds, I have learned to grow as a human being with that approach. I hope many more could be that way.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Why would your son have trouble in a "not mostly Asian" neighborhood?

This may be surprising to you, but the majority of whites, blacks, and Hispanics are not bad people.

Are you originally from the United States?

This is a problem with many asian immigrants here. They want to live here but don't want to assimilate.
I agree. Most Asians and Indians want to live in the comfort this nation offers, the security our defense forces offer, the living standards that this nation has etc but don't want to identify themselves with the people that make up this nation.

Asian/Indian people need to be given cultural assimilation classes before being given visas to come here.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGregorShow View Post
Since you're Indian.

The answer is Fremont.

But why is Asian okay but not white? If you're Indian, why not just say Indian why include Asian.
I don't know if he specified anywhere in the thread that he's Indian. No matter what though, his post wasn't in the right spirit. I totally agree with that.

One more explanation I believe I can offer(I am Indian myself so know quite a bit about how a lot of my fellow brethren feel) is that a predominant number of Asian and Indian kids are nerds, they are literally goaded by their parents to shun any extra curricular activities in favor of academic pursuits. Essentially Indian parents want their kids to study with a bunch of nerds, become nerds themselves, win spelling bees etc but have little to zero interest in pushing them into any sort of athletic endeavors.

Old 05-07-2016, 03:30 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGregorShow View Post
If you're Indian, why not just say Indian why include Asian.
Alternatively, Indians can accurately be referred to as South Asian, as this map of South Asia shows:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland