Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 21,866 times

Advertisements

Hello,,,,
I am a junior in high school,,, and I am doing college searches and all kinds of things about colleges. I am bored living in Massachusetts,,, because the people are so conservative and close-minded. I love having four seasons but the coldness have made me sick. I fell, that living in a sunny area, just makes you happier>?
I am thinking of applying to educational facilities in MA, but in California as well. I would really like if I go there, but I am not sure whether I will be dissapointed or not. Some people say its great and some say its not.
I was considering, Sand Diego, LA, Long Beach, San Francisco. Where is better, south or the north part of CA.
Can you please give me some tips, and suggestions. I am not familiar with CA. Would this be a good change, and will I like it there?
Thank you very much,,, this would help me alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2006, 08:02 AM

61 posts, read 210,580 times
Default Whoa there..

Mass is generally considered one of the more liberal states in the country. I don't know the state well - is the liberal tag reserved for the coastal cities in Mass?

San Francisco is a world class city - probably the closest city we have to a 'Mediterranean' city. I was in Barcelona this summer, and it reminded me a lot of San Francisco. The weather is super (from Boston you'll really love it), there is so much culture and diversity, great universities, lots of great people. Thoroughly enjoyed our time living in the Bay Area.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 21,842 times
It's hard to believe people people in Massachussets are conservative and close minded. It might be ther most liberal state in the union with their east coast liberal thinking and the only state that allows gay marriage. And living in a sunny are a doesn't seem so make you happier. Some of the happiest people I've ever met came from states where it snows. Though I have met many happy people from my warm state. And I think northern CA is better because the people there are more real and the weather can be real nice. Not too hot.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:20 AM

138 posts, read 1,002,189 times
Default California

I'm a California native, originally from LA, now living in San Diego.
If you love warm weather and a mild climate, California is definitely an option for you. (Of course, I've lived here all my life and am sick of having no seasons and it always being warm! I'm planning a move to the east coast soon).

San Diego - mild climate, everyday is about 70 degrees. No matter what season. It's really brown here. No forests or anything. Beautiful beaches. Lots to do. I feel like there is a lot of culture here and good food, if you like to get out and do new things. The people are supposedly pretty conservative, but I am a liberal and feel like this city is fine for anyone.

San Francisco is very liberal and artsy. A lot of artists, designers, coffee-drinker type people. They have a big Asian population and a great China Town.

Lots to see and do. The city feels very tight though and sometimes very closed in since it's a lot of people in a small area.

Los Angeles- I'm originally from here. People are all about who you know, etc. It's actually a very ugly place, visually. You always see it on TV sparkling and blue skies - that's not real. If you're not living in a mansion up in the Hollywood Hills or other rich areas, you're living down below the smog and with the dirty air. It's always hot and you feel like you're being baked by the cars and the asphault. Lots of dirty areas and sketchy places.

However, there is lots of culture and lots to do.

As with any city, I think, there are always bad and good areas to live, areas where you may want to stay away from etc...but if you have a strong desire to be somewhere, you'll make it work and find positive things about it.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:51 PM

100 posts, read 381,475 times
Please keep in mind that people can live in the same exact area and have a totally different experience.

My daughters are trying to make the same decision as you are because we are moving to CA from VT, pretty liberal minded here for the most part.
My general sense is that CA people are liberal as well but I bet you will find liberals and conservatives in CA as well as MA.

I would search both coasts, look for the colleges that meet your criteria, narrow down your list and then hopefully you can go visit east and west coast colleges to see what you think of them.

Will your parents bring you out to the west coast to visit colleges there?

Being a college student is an excellent time to experience life in a totally differnt part of the country. If you find a west coast college you love, go for it.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:59 AM

67 posts, read 148,022 times
San francisco has good weather 3 weeks out of the year. I was born and raised san francisco. I loved to sleep in it was a way of life for me.Never wanted to get out of bed. Moved to l.a. boy oh boy did i change!!!! I was up every single day at 8am i would walk to coffee bean go get my mocha blend and take the dog up to the laurel canyon for a long walk. I changed so much i was happier. The thing is when i moved back home i never got out of bed again. So the weather ABSOLUTELY effects your mood!!!! You just dont realize it until you go through the change yourself. Now as a young person I think sf is a hippy town I cant relate to much here. My dad was raised in boston and he actually thinks sf and boston are very similiar. I woul pick l.a plus it is cheaper i had a 2 bedroom in a gated community for 925 a month. So imagine what a 1 bedroom is. The only thing is if your going to work the pay sucks. All this being said you need to choose the school that is going to be right for you!!!!

Old 09-14-2007, 02:11 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
This is the first time I ever heard of anyone staying in the bed in San Francisco. And great weather only 3 weeks out of the year? What is the REAL reason you stayed in the bed so much?

Old 09-14-2007, 02:47 AM

If you read the first post again it might clue you in!!!!!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:58 AM

374 posts, read 1,852,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandosgirl View Post
San francisco has good weather 3 weeks out of the year. I was born and raised san francisco. I loved to sleep in it was a way of life for me.Never wanted to get out of bed. Moved to l.a. boy oh boy did i change!!!! I was up every single day at 8am i would walk to coffee bean go get my mocha blend and take the dog up to the laurel canyon for a long walk. I changed so much i was happier. The thing is when i moved back home i never got out of bed again. So the weather ABSOLUTELY effects your mood!!!! You just dont realize it until you go through the change yourself. Now as a young person I think sf is a hippy town I cant relate to much here. My dad was raised in boston and he actually thinks sf and boston are very similiar. I woul pick l.a plus it is cheaper i had a 2 bedroom in a gated community for 925 a month. So imagine what a 1 bedroom is. The only thing is if your going to work the pay sucks. All this being said you need to choose the school that is going to be right for you!!!!
Give me a break!!!! You are ridiculous! I find it hard to believe you really ever lived her after making such a completely asinine statement.

The weather is great here in September, October and November. That, I feel, is our true summer. It can get the hottest during those months, and is usually beautiful and sunny. Of course, the western part of the city can get fog any time of year. Right now, for example, I cannot honestly remember the last time it rained. It can rain in the winter, but it is nothing compared to Seattle. There are also warm sunny days in the winter. This past January, I was out on my deck (in shorts and a t-shirt) at about 7PM and a friend from Chicago called - it was minus 6 there. I also think March (to an extent), April and May are pretty nice.

It's really, weirdly, June, July and August that can have the worst weather of the year. Due to San Francisco's odd position of being surrounded, on three sides, by water, we get weird weather (and micro-climates within the city). Usually, in the summer I wake up to fog. The fog then begins to roll back out over the ocean (usually lingering over the western neighborhoods all day). Then, around 3 or 4 it rolls back in and is preceeded by a cold wind. So, I've spent many late mornings/early afternoons in shorts and a t-shirt, only to change into pants and a heavy coat at night.

The area where you live in the city can also make a difference. I'm on the cusp of the Castro and the Mission. I can be out on my deck in mid-afternoon and it's blazing hot, then I can walk to the Haight (further west) and it will be foggy and cold.

Bottom line, I've never heard such a ridiculous statement about the City as that by brandosgirl.

I do agree with here that weather can definitely affect your mood, but my experience is that people are MUCH more active in the City, all year, than I've ever experienced in Wisconsin, New York, the Twin Cities, or Seattle.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:43 PM

Well you are right about where you live!!!! I live in so.s.f. borderline pacifica and daly city never sunny here ever!!!!! Fog is all that exist here I just got back from palo alto and i left my house wearing uggs wrong choice for palo alto it's 77 degrees there.All though strangely overcast!!!!! That being said the residential area in malibu including the beach houses never wake up to fog!!! Now as far as not believing me living here i wish i could say that was a lie, but sadly enough it's true at least until may. I really believe that l.a. and s.f are complete opposites!!!!! The people that like l.a. dont like s.f. and vice versa. People in l.a. are just more laid back and the ones in no cal take things a litte more serious. It's a better place to work and alot of people say theres alot to do here. Just keep in mind it depends on what you like to do. If it's a change she wants i wouldnt choose the bay area i think it would be more of the same for her. It really is a matter of personal opinion!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland