Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 03:48 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,468,631 times

Advertisements

I'll be landing in San Francisco from Seattle at 8 AM this Sunday and will be leaving around the same time Tuesday morning. I'm going just for a short trip and will be staying with a family member near the USF campus. I want to maximize my trip in terms of food, bar experiences, and hidden gems that aren't over run with tourists. I've been to San Francisco before but it was when I was in 8th grade. We did the typical tourist attractions and stayed at the Hilton in China Town.

From a locals perspective, what are the best restaurants and attractions to jam pack into 48 hours? (I enjoy all types of food and don't have any preference)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 05:19 AM

522 posts, read 739,901 times
El Faro in the Mission District is always a great spot to go.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:32 AM

24,413 posts, read 27,038,900 times
San Tung is a MUST, the chicken wings are amazing, it's really close to USF.

Shabu House has great Shabu Shabu and Sukiyaki and also near USF.

Hong Kong Lounge is a good place for sim sum, also near USF (10:30 to 2:30pm).

Old 03-08-2017, 09:35 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,931,850 times
Fit in Bourbon and Branch or Smugglers Cove for cocktails. Whatever fits in best. Or Odd Job (go to the back room - it is really cool. You can describe the cocktail you want. And you can use obvious food descriptors, art or even characters form movies or books to inspire your drink.)

Old 03-08-2017, 11:59 AM

102,252 posts, read 108,183,264 times
It really depends on what you're into, OP. Museums? Scenery? Quiet walks in the park or on the beach? I think a good bet for you would be to visit the Presidio park, and from there, to walk partway across the GG Bridge, for the views. From there, you could go to nearby Clement Street, and explore shops and restaurants. Clement has a variety of ethnic, including good Chinese, eateries. While in that part of town, you could continue south to Golden Gate Park, and have your choice of things to see: Steinhart Aquarium, the DeYoung Museum, the Conservatory, the Japanese Tea Garden (touristy). Sundays the park is closed to traffic, so it's more peaceful. You can rent roller skates to see the park, or watch people doing weekly Swing dancing on the bandstand, around mid-day. You can explore the park and seek out the buffalo herd. Or move on to other attractions. You could move south along the Great Highway alongside the beach, to Fort Funston, and watch the hang-gliders swooping off the cliffs over the beach.

The Ferry Building and Embarcadero park are nice; shops to explore, there's a gourmet ice cream parlor in the Ferry Building. I would say the Cable Car Museum would be a must.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:27 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
I'll be landing in San Francisco from Seattle at 8 AM this Sunday and will be leaving around the same time Tuesday morning. I'm going just for a short trip and will be staying with a family member near the USF campus. I want to maximize my trip in terms of food, bar experiences, and hidden gems that aren't over run with tourists. I've been to San Francisco before but it was when I was in 8th grade. We did the typical tourist attractions and stayed at the Hilton in China Town.

From a locals perspective, what are the best restaurants and attractions to jam pack into 48 hours? (I enjoy all types of food and don't have any preference)

Just hang out in the Mission District then... all kinds of new hip restaurants, bars, and dessert.

I'd say visit El Techo for the view. Mission Pie. Humphrey Solombe for the ice cream. Dandelion for the chocolate. The great taquerias. Trick Dog or Beretta for drinks. And just google Mission District's many restaurants and pick the ones that catch your fancy.

Just keep in mind that most hip restaurants need reservations.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:26 PM

I personally hate the mission district, besides some of the few authentic taquerias.

Most of the places these days are over-priced white hipster versions of ethnic restaurants.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:32 PM

10,360 posts, read 8,601,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
El Faro in the Mission District is always a great spot to go.
Man I loved that place!

Old 03-08-2017, 07:47 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,468,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I personally hate the mission district, besides some of the few authentic taquerias.

Most of the places these days are over-priced white hipster versions of ethnic restaurants.
What other areas of town would be worth checking out?

Old 03-08-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
What other areas of town would be worth checking out?
Definitely not Mission if you only have 48 hours. It's a dump full of homeless people, drunks, trash and preppy hipsters.

Ride the cable car from G. Square or Fisherman's Wharf to Powell Station. It's a cool way to see different parts of the city along the way. Check out North Beach, which is the Little Italy part of town, really nice views, good coffee, but a lot of bad restaurants, so be sure to use Yelp if you want to eat there. Union Square is a must see, so you can feel what the heart of the city is like, great for shopping. Marina District is really nice, especially along Chestnut Street and Crissy Field, the views from Crissy Field are beautiful. You can walk through Chinatown between North Beach and Union Square. It's quite touristy, but there still are thousands of recents immigrants living there, so there are authentic bakeries, etc, avoid restaurants though as most are tourist traps, especially on Grant Ave. If you are there during the farmers market, check out the Ferry building. I'd also check out Golden Gate Park if you get a sunny day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland