Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 07:49 AM

428 posts, read 811,904 times

Advertisements

We are going to drive from Eugene OR down to San Francisco for a few days and mostly because of the prohibitive cost of lodging in the Napa wine valley area we plan to just leave Eugene at like 6am and drive to the wine area for 4 hours then drive to a vacation rental in San Francisco. What would you recommend for us to do for four hours in the napa area to experience wine country-- is the an affordable vineyard/winery we should have lunch at, do some wine tasting (sip and spit as we have to drive after)? I am not a tech worker in silicon valley, so we can't afford $100 a plate lunch in the napa area, hoping for something for ordinary folk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 10:13 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,070,841 times
I can recommend Louis Martini and they are next to V. Sattui, both good wineries. Not sure what they charge for tasting. You could probably stop at a supermarket on the way (Market of Choice maybe). Put some stuff in a cooler then sit outside of the winery and have lunch. If people give you dirty looks for bringing your own food, then you could always sit in your car.

BTW, you might want to stop in Roseburg, OR and go to Hillcrest Winery if you can find the time. It's very good. I used to live in Eugene and went there a few times.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:34 AM

675 posts, read 1,191,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I can recommend Louis Martini and they are next to V. Sattui, both good wineries. Not sure what they charge for tasting. You could probably stop at a supermarket on the way (Market of Choice maybe). Put some stuff in a cooler then sit outside of the winery and have lunch. If people give you dirty looks for bringing your own food, then you could always sit in your car.

BTW, you might want to stop in Roseburg, OR and go to Hillcrest Winery if you can find the time. It's very good. I used to live in Eugene and went there a few times.

V Sattui is my favorite, they are one of the few wineries that has food. An amazing little deli with incredible cheeses from all over the world, some good lunch items (try the chipotle prawns), and a wonderful picnic area. truly one of my versions of heaven on earth, sitting at a picnic table, drinking wine and eating lunch, just amazing.

V. Sattui Winery: Great wines from Napa Valley

The owner of V. Sattui also opened up a great winery called Castello di Amorosa

Castello di Amorosa

It's an amazing castle winery, they built the castle using some old rock from Europe and some old architecture plans from European Castles. Amazing place too.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
V Sattui is my favorite, they are one of the few wineries that has food. An amazing little deli with incredible cheeses from all over the world, some good lunch items (try the chipotle prawns), and a wonderful picnic area. truly one of my versions of heaven on earth, sitting at a picnic table, drinking wine and eating lunch, just amazing.
V. Sattui Winery: Great wines from Napa Valley
Any guess as to what a deli lunch there would cost for two adults?

Old 05-26-2016, 03:30 PM

115 posts, read 228,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Any guess as to what a deli lunch there would cost for two adults?
I've been to this winery and did the lunch there. It was a few years ago but I remember it being not very expensive at all. You can buy stuff from the inside deli, or they also have an outdoor hot food option with pizza, barbeque sandwiches, etc. I would say you could get away with spending no more than $20-25 per person depending on what you want. It really is an awesome place to hang out and have lunch. Beautiful grounds!

Old 05-26-2016, 03:53 PM

Sounds like the place to be so we will go there! Thank you all!

Old 05-26-2016, 04:41 PM

39 posts, read 45,466 times
I love Mustard's Grill...look it up... Some of the better food up that way.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:18 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,913,403 times
I second V. Sattui. I don't recall the prices, but the first time I went was as a broke college student and I didn't feel like it was too much then. They have lots of options so you can set your budget. More like pricey grocery store vs 4 star restaurant.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:15 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,598,668 times
another fun area is Healdsburg. They have a really cute little downtown area with little shops, restaurants, wine tasting rooms. It would be a fun way to spend a few hours. Get the winery finder app for your phone - lots of 2 for 1 wine tasting deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland