Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 02:59 PM

104 posts, read 172,175 times

Advertisements

Hey guys- I'm coming out in late may/early June to San Fran by bus (I'm considering grad school at USF and want to check out the coast), and I was wondering what a 20 yr old can do for fun + cheap out here. I've heard about the Megabus system (which after talk to a friend from Stockton, isn't well known) that can take you from San Fran to LA for less than $10 round trip, and I'll be staying in some cheap-o hostel at $25 a night. I've got a few bucks to spend to see and do stuff, but that's about it. any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 03:59 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
you wont need to much money unless you actully want to do stuff (movies, plays, shows), but you could get by in the city with jumpin on the bus and gettin off anytime something cathces your eye. for the cheap try haight/ashbury which is walkin distance from USF. for cheap food in the haight walk towards the end. by amoeba records and eat at "citrus club" pan asian noodle house, good prices. also take the 33 bus 3 blocks away from USF. this will take you thru the haight(post hippy), thru the castro(gay) and thru the mission(latino/gentrification) thats one bus line that also gives you a phenomenal view of SF from the slope of diamond peak or whatever. you get to see 3 different neighborhoods for the price of ur bus fare. check out the palace of fine arts and downtown. or just take a stroll into Golden gate park. USF us bounded by various buslines that will get u to downtown in 10 minutes, the beach in 10 minutes. plenty of stuff to do. good luck

Old 02-15-2008, 04:49 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,172,734 times
When looking for something to do I often reference the funcheap website. Used to be a Yahoo group but unlike most Yahoo groups it was useful. Anything in particular you're interested in?

Old 02-15-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
When looking for something to do I often reference the funcheap website. Used to be a Yahoo group but unlike most Yahoo groups it was useful. Anything in particular you're interested in?
Well.. I'm a writer and a musician.. I'll be going to school for my M.F.A. in fiction writing, so I think I'd like to see whatever it was that made the beats fall in love with this city. The night life, the book stores, whatever made it stand out.

I checked out Alcatraz but it looks like it runs around $25... a night's rent, a bit pricey.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:16 PM

170 posts, read 982,950 times
$25/night?? what?! where?

Man thats cheaper than renting a studio. Why doesnt everyone just stay in hostels?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:19 PM

Because they put a limit on how long you can stay there, not to mention people like having stuff. Not a lot of fun to pack up all your stuff every morning and bring it with you to work.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:36 PM

170 posts, read 982,950 times
whats the limit on how long you stay? Any links for hostels? I was thinking about taking a trip to san fran

Old 02-15-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broknrekord3 View Post
Well.. I'm a writer and a musician.. I'll be going to school for my M.F.A. in fiction writing, so I think I'd like to see whatever it was that made the beats fall in love with this city. The night life, the book stores, whatever made it stand out.
You'll of course want to visit City Lights. I used to spend a lot of time at Vesuvio's across Kerouac Alley. It's a nice bar if you're going to be 21 by the time you visit (so is San Francisco Brewing Company just a little further down the street for that matter). If you're interested in beat history minutia you could drop by where Jack Kerouac and Alan Ginsberg lived. Nothing too exciting but if you're in the area why not.

There are lots of places to hear music. Everything from drum circles at Hippy Hill in Golden Gate Park to hard core punk at Annie's Social Lounge.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfingiskewl View Post
whats the limit on how long you stay? Any links for hostels? I was thinking about taking a trip to san fran
There are many websites with information, here's one.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfingiskewl View Post
Book El Capitan Hotel, San Francisco, USA: Book Now!
That's the one I'm staying at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland