Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 04:16 PM

480 posts, read 418,516 times

Advertisements

I will be spending around 4 days in SF (Tuesday through friday) mid june. I would like to explore the best that SF gay life has to offer. The amount of information on gay bars in SF is overwhelming. How can I narrow this list down? I am single in my early 30's and would like a fun bar where there is something for everyone with hot go go dancers. A good diverse mix of crowd (age and race) with a nice dance floor is what I like. I know some bars can be very cliquey and cater to a specific crowd and would like to avoid those. I am also not a fan of dive bars. Any thoughts on what bars I should check out? This is what I have found so far based on yelp reviews:

1. Power house
2. Beaux
3. OMG
4. SF eagle

Any thoughts? I know some bars have like contests and theme nights. that would be fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 10:13 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
It really depends on what you're into (bears, twinks, latinos, asians, etc) and what type of scene you're looking for (night club, sex club, happy hour, neighborhood bar, dive bar, etc). Honestly, just wander around the Castro and pop your head in to different places to see if it's your type of scene. From what you described, it sounds like you're looking more for a nightclub type of vibe than a dive bar/watering hole, and there really aren't a whole lot of great options imo. Badlands and Toad Hall are probably the closest to what you're looking for, or maybe the Cafe. Just so you know, SOMA is MUCH grungier and "anything goes" than most of the Castro, so don't be shocked to find people being pretty open/hands on (if you catch my drift). To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of any of the ones you listed, but I don't hang out in the Castro or SOMA much these days anyway, so my opinion probably doesn't hold much water. If you don't like dive bars, I would definitely avoid the Eagle and Powerhouse.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:01 AM

397 posts, read 364,221 times
Applebee's. Karaoke saturday nights

Old 06-04-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
It really depends on what you're into (bears, twinks, latinos, asians, etc) and what type of scene you're looking for (night club, sex club, happy hour, neighborhood bar, dive bar, etc). Honestly, just wander around the Castro and pop your head in to different places to see if it's your type of scene. From what you described, it sounds like you're looking more for a nightclub type of vibe than a dive bar/watering hole, and there really aren't a whole lot of great options imo. Badlands and Toad Hall are probably the closest to what you're looking for, or maybe the Cafe. Just so you know, SOMA is MUCH grungier and "anything goes" than most of the Castro, so don't be shocked to find people being pretty open/hands on (if you catch my drift). To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of any of the ones you listed, but I don't hang out in the Castro or SOMA much these days anyway, so my opinion probably doesn't hold much water. If you don't like dive bars, I would definitely avoid the Eagle and Powerhouse.
I like a little bit of everything. I don't mind being hit on as long as it's not too creepy. Power house seems to have great reviews and they have a contest Thursday nights. May be I will give that a try?

Old 06-04-2016, 11:03 PM

Try it out if you want. It's not terrible bar or anything, it's just not my thing. I think it's kind of gross what goes on in the back patio area sometimes, but I guess you'll just have to see for yourself.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Try it out if you want. It's not terrible bar or anything, it's just not my thing. I think it's kind of gross what goes on in the back patio area sometimes, but I guess you'll just have to see for yourself.
Really? As long as its consenting adults, who am I to judge? I wouldn't care.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:28 AM

Yes, really. You seem to have your mind made up already, so I don't know what else to say other than "have fun"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland