Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:03 PM

196 posts, read 473,829 times

Advertisements

23 year old young gay guy here. Where are some gay bars to grace for a guy my age? Keep in mind! I'm a virgin male who's never drank nor smoke and am kind of against that stuff so obviously you know I'm on the search for a decent guy? Also, most of the gay bars I've visited in that area behind downtown have nothing but old guys at them except for La Cage but at La Cage you have to dole out like 7 dollars for a night you might possibly not enjoy.

Truth is I hate bars. I wish I could find more peaceful mild places to frequent with gay men like a library or a cool restaurant but I don't know where that is in the greater Milwaukee area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 03:48 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
M's on second street.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:22 PM

402 posts, read 976,267 times
What about Woodys? Here is something I found

Milwaukee Gay Bars - GayCities Milwaukee

Old 12-06-2009, 07:01 PM

Default Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
M's on second street.
Thanks for the reply! What kind of people frequent that gay bar? Old people or young? Also, are you gay or bi to Milwaukee City?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:02 PM

Default Hey Mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
What about Woodys? Here is something I found

Milwaukee Gay Bars - GayCities Milwaukee
Thanks for the reply Paul. Are you gay? How old are you? I don't have any gay friends!

Old 12-06-2009, 08:14 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,527 times
Fluid (next to Club Boom) on 2nd St. has a mostly youngish crowd. M's has more of a mixed old/young crowd. I haven't been to Woody's in a long while, but I think the clientele is young/middle-aged.

You might want to try some of the gay-friendly places in the east side, like Art Bar and the Nomad. Some general dance clubs and bars in the east side have "gay nights," if that interests you. There are some cafes and restaurants around the east side (Comet Cafe, Brewed Awakenings, Fuel Cafe) and Bayview (Hi-Fi Cafe and others) that have a significant gay clientele.

The LGBT bookstore (Outwords) on Murray Ave. near UWM has a small coffee bar and a great selection of books. It also has flyers and other information on the local gay scene.

If bars and cafes don't do it for you, try contacting the LGBT Community Center for info on clubs, organizations, events, and other venues where you can meet people:

Milwaukee LGBT Community Center

There are a lot of social, religious, sporting, and other themed groups in the city that may interest you. Dig around a bit, and you should find something you like.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:28 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanHistory09 View Post
Thanks for the reply! What kind of people frequent that gay bar? Old people or young? Also, are you gay or bi to Milwaukee City?
No, I'm straight as an arrow. I just know some gay people that prefer it b/c it's more classy and low key kind of place. I went their once right when it opened and I didn't know it was a gay bar until about 3 weeks after I went their.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:23 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,265,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Fluid (next to Club Boom) on 2nd St. has a mostly youngish crowd. M's has more of a mixed old/young crowd. I haven't been to Woody's in a long while, but I think the clientele is young/middle-aged.

You might want to try some of the gay-friendly places in the east side, like Art Bar and the Nomad. Some general dance clubs and bars in the east side have "gay nights," if that interests you. There are some cafes and restaurants around the east side (Comet Cafe, Brewed Awakenings, Fuel Cafe) and Bayview (Hi-Fi Cafe and others) that have a significant gay clientele.

The LGBT bookstore (Outwords) on Murray Ave. near UWM has a small coffee bar and a great selection of books. It also has flyers and other information on the local gay scene.

If bars and cafes don't do it for you, try contacting the LGBT Community Center for info on clubs, organizations, events, and other venues where you can meet people:

Milwaukee LGBT Community Center

There are a lot of social, religious, sporting, and other themed groups in the city that may interest you. Dig around a bit, and you should find something you like.
LOL, I never thought of Nomad as gay....but regardless. Um, hmm....my best friend who is gay goes to the Room at Boom, I was just there a week ago. There are both older & younger guys there. I've been to Fluid, noticed younger guys there as well. (by the way, I'm a straight female but like I said, my best friend is gay). Geez, I think I'll have to talk to my friend although he doesn't go out to the gay bars that much anymore, we usually hang out at my place. I mean, we've hung out at Hi-hat, pretty much anywhere on Brady St. (I guess you're right about Nomad, haha) & you should get a good reception. Brady St. is very very tolerant & even though the bars there aren't dictated as "gay" so much, it's just known that gays & straights hang out there. I'm sorry I couldn't give you more detail but I hope it helps a little!

Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
Quote:
23 year old young gay guy here. Where are some gay bars to grace for a guy my age? Keep in mind! I'm a virgin male who's never drank nor smoke and am kind of against that stuff so obviously you know I'm on the search for a decent guy? Also, most of the gay bars I've visited in that area behind downtown have nothing but old guys at them except for La Cage but at La Cage you have to dole out like 7 dollars for a night you might possibly not enjoy.

Truth is I hate bars. I wish I could find more peaceful mild places to frequent with gay men like a library or a cool restaurant but I don't know where that is in the greater Milwaukee area?

You have a bit of a challenge, but nothing too bad.

-Most people who are old enough to go to bars are older than 23; the crowd gets a little younger as the night gets longer. So you're going to run into many older people. In a few years this won't be a problem for you.

-People who go to bars, usually like going to bars. Those who don't like it, don't go that often, or at all. If they do, they're probably not going to make small talk about how much they hate going to bars.

I like This Is It downtown especially if you have someone you want to hang out with and kick back. It's fun after work, or before Jazz In The Park. I like the classic cocktail lounge ambience. It's a mixed crowd, age depends on the night and the time. Actually, that's true for most of the bars. Keep in mind that I'm judging this as a thirtysomething fossil, so my view is potentially skewed.

The East Side suggestions are good too. The Hi-Hat is a good one; there are others.

My best suggestion is to try to make friends with some people who have similar interests, and you'll meet more people that way. Bars are fine, but a lot of people are there for... you know... They're really not looking for someone to go to church with. It's just a numbers game though, keep working at it and you'll meet people.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:10 PM

402 posts, read 976,267 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Paul. Are you gay? How old are you? I don't have any gay friends!
Let's see - YES, 52, and I don't hang out at bars anymore myself. Have not done it for years. I agree with 43north87wests assessment though.

The last time I was at This is it was 1992? But frankly the ambiance was that of a nice cocktail lounge.

Frankly the people I did hang out with at bars once in a great while were just bar friends anyway and I never really liked bars anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee