Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 09:28 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Of course many people can afford to live here on less. They bought houses when they were 10-100g.
No, most of them don't own a SFH. They are sharing a condo or apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 09:39 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
No, most of them don't own a SFH. They are sharing a condo or apartment.
PRetty much every person over 45 or 50 who isn't a loser bought houses when they were cheap

Old 07-10-2016, 10:06 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
See, classic example of what I complain about. You guys say this in every thread and it is lame. The OP even SAID "not really interested in buying in SF" and you're STILL claiming he can't live here unless he makes 200k.

Sorry but MANY, MANY, MANY people live in SF who make less than 200k and they can afford it. They're sharing housing, or if they have a place to themselves, it is one or two bedroom apartment/condo and probably rented rather than owned.

You don't have to be able to buy a SFH in order to live in the area.
We were talking about buying homes, in case you didn't read the preceding posts this was in response to. I (along with other posters) gave him options in his budget, in his preferred configuration: without shared housing in a studio apartment.

For many people shared housing of any form is a no go. If they can't afford to live alone, they don't want to live here. For other people buying a home large enough for their family is absolutely critical, and for those coming from almost any metro, it is much easier to do than here.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:57 AM

379 posts, read 785,639 times
Like an earlier poster in this topic, I grew up in nearby Chicago suburbs & moved to SF 5 years ago. I'm in Chicago (the city itself, not the burbs) about twice a year.

Given your career and your expectations of living here just a few years, moving to SF is realistic. You'll get experience in your field that'll make you more employable everywhere else. As others have said, try to get a slightly higher salary if you can. You can live in an efficiency unit alone at 2k a month in San Francisco itself, although you may be a little further out. Sometimes petite units like this open up in The Mission, although there's a lot of competition for them.

I like Oakland, but since you only plan to live here for a few years, would recommend trying to live in SF. After a few years, you'll most likely get tired of living like a college student on over 100k and will want to move on unless your salary takes a huge jump. Best of luck with your job search.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:46 AM

Too many tech people in SF these days. You don't see or meet non tech people ever. That is stifling for me. I see those people all day at work. It makes life feel like a bubble if those are the only people you interact with. I love my neighborhood in Oakland because there are young families, retired people, 50 year old accountants, teachers, nonprofit workers, people who work for the city .....

Old 07-12-2016, 08:55 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,037 times
What's the dating scene like for SWF in their 30's in the Bay Area compared to Chicago?

Old 07-12-2016, 11:25 PM

10 posts, read 7,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLover View Post
Like an earlier poster in this topic, I grew up in nearby Chicago suburbs & moved to SF 5 years ago. I'm in Chicago (the city itself, not the burbs) about twice a year.

Given your career and your expectations of living here just a few years, moving to SF is realistic. You'll get experience in your field that'll make you more employable everywhere else. As others have said, try to get a slightly higher salary if you can. You can live in an efficiency unit alone at 2k a month in San Francisco itself, although you may be a little further out. Sometimes petite units like this open up in The Mission, although there's a lot of competition for them.

I like Oakland, but since you only plan to live here for a few years, would recommend trying to live in SF. After a few years, you'll most likely get tired of living like a college student on over 100k and will want to move on unless your salary takes a huge jump. Best of luck with your job search.
I live in Oakland and I love it but I did give your comment some thought and I think you have a good point. If you're coming to live/work in SF and you can afford it and its only temporary, then yeah, I have to agree you gotta put in a couple years in SF. With your salary you can afford it (even if its not in a luxurious building in a prime spot). SF just has a different vibe than Oakland and I think its worthwhile just to get a taste of it if you're gonna travel all this way. Once you move to SF you may find you like the vibe of Oakland better and move there or you may decide you love living in the city, but if you're moving all that way and can afford it, I think you should start there and see where it takes you.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
We were talking about buying homes, in case you didn't read the preceding posts this was in response to. I (along with other posters) gave him options in his budget, in his preferred configuration: without shared housing in a studio apartment.
A studio DOES NOT require a 200k income. And he said it was a 3 year stint so he is NOT going to be buying a home.

Quote:
For many people shared housing of any form is a no go. If they can't afford to live alone, they don't want to live here.
Indeed. I couldn't stand having a two or three bedroom place to myself and don't see the point. But if you want such a big place to yourself, then I guess you have to move. Why are you still here, then?

Quote:
For other people buying a home large enough for their family is absolutely critical
If you are a couple with one kid, a two bedroom condo satisfies this requirement. With two kids, a three bedroom one does.

Rented or bought is the same effect.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
A studio DOES NOT require a 200k income. And he said it was a 3 year stint so he is NOT going to be buying a home.

Indeed. I couldn't stand having a two or three bedroom place to myself and don't see the point. But if you want such a big place to yourself, then I guess you have to move. Why are you still here, then?

If you are a couple with one kid, a two bedroom condo satisfies this requirement. With two kids, a three bedroom one does.

Rented or bought is the same effect.
Stop being intentionally dense. There was a conversation in this thread about 2 income households settling down and the potential costs.

Living alone doesn't only include a home. Some people don't want a shared bathroom/kitchen situation. For them an ideal lifestyle is living in a 1 bedroom apartment (or studio) alone or with a romantic partner. Not shared with non-romantic partners.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Stop being intentionally dense.
I'm not. You can afford a studio on 100k.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/5683271948.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/5663024404.html

The people who clean your tech office live in the Bay Area too, so obviously people can afford it who make less than you. We just don't own our own homes.

Quote:
Living alone doesn't only include a home. Some people don't want a shared bathroom/kitchen situation. For them an ideal lifestyle is living in a 1 bedroom apartment (or studio) alone or with a romantic partner. Not shared with non-romantic partners.
SOME people...but obviously many people have no problem living with non-romantic partners.

Personally I think it would be awesome to live here for example:

Room for rent with Air Conditioning + LOW utilities in beautiful home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland