Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,331 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I am an RN (female) from central California, just hit 50 and happily out of a long relationship.

Looking to move to the Bay Area because of better pay and more stuff to do in the area. I know the area fairly well along with its drawbacks and have a couple of friends (not besties) in the EB.

I have lots of experience and can easily get a job at Kaiser and or possibly UCSF at their higher pay rates.

Obviously I would rent first to make sure the job and area is a "fit" but, I would like this to be my last big move so I can meet people through work and retire in a place I know a few people.

It has been strange getting to know myself again. Here is a description of my "ideals" so far:

I am OK with a little AM fog and temps to 90 in the summer. I really don't like cold or windy.

Less urban density is ok with me. I will give up walkable for a little more space as long as groceries are no more than 15-20 min away.

Drive to work max 50 min. I usually work 12hrs at a time. I want to be at my best when I take care of you or your child.

I need a yard. Truly. Gardening is my therapy. Sometimes us humans are so cruel to one another. Plus my awesome G Shepherd died about a year ago at the ripe age of 15 and I am finally ready for a new guy.

So basically I am looking for a smaller house on a bigger lot minimum 2 bed 1000 sq ft my budget is $750,000-$800,000-(max).

I am still pretty athletic and I would like to take up riding horses again ( i was fairly decent at it at one time) I would also like to be near a body of water because it supports wild life which I love to observe in its natural state.

Lastly I don't want to be too isolated since I do enjoy company. I liked being part of a couple, so once I lick my wounds and take stock I plan on heading back into the fray.
Suggestions? Opinions?
Luckily I have a wide range to choose from and have kinda been going by Kaiser/Stanford/UCSF clinics and hospitals nearby.

I prefer Peninsula/North Bay and have been looking at Petaluma, San Rafael, Santa Clara, Half Moon Bay, Pacifica, Pleasanton and small outposts nearby.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 09:02 PM

153 posts, read 153,880 times
Not super familiar with the area but Petaluma might work for you if you got a job at a Kaiser in Santa Rosa or San Rafael.

They have decent lots and a lot of horsey stuff in the area. Not sure about the dating scene for the over 50 crowd though...

Old 07-15-2016, 10:43 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
It seems like you're more realistic than most, but you still may find that you can't afford San Rafael. Also, the inland locations will be warmer than the coastal ones: Petaluma will be hot In the summers, while Pacifica and Half Moon Bay will tend to be cool, even cold and damp when the fog is in, which in those locations is much of the time. The fog can be very penetrating, feeling colder than it really is. Just saying, since you mentioned you don't like cold.

Check the real estate listings for the areas you list, to get an idea. Once you see the prices, that will narrow down your options somewhat.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I think you should take a look at Castro Valley even though it is outside your preferred location. It has the benefit of having plenty of horses, relatively affordable and good access to Fremont Kaiser, Oakland Kaiser, and the northern South Bay locations. A bit far during commute hours for the peninsula (close in distance but traffic can be awful). You'd have the benefit of working off hours and the Peninsula is about 30-40 minutes at non commute times.

Crow Canyon Road in CV has lots of horseback and the street has horse crossing.

I have often seen people on horses in the middle of the hills there. Lake Chabot is very close and is bisected by the Cull Canyon Park.

I can't chime in about the dating scene. But that's probably one of the epicenters of the horse scene. (There are also still cows and ranches once you get off the suburbia of the main road). It also has a Bart station to open up more commuting options.

*CV borders San Ramon and Dublin and by extension Pleasanton almost.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:21 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think you should take a look at Castro Valley even though it is outside your preferred location. It has the benefit of having plenty of horses, relatively affordable and good access to Fremont Kaiser, Oakland Kaiser, and the northern South Bay locations. A bit far during commute hours for the peninsula (close in distance but traffic can be awful). You'd have the benefit of working off hours and the Peninsula is about 30-40 minutes at non commute times.

Crow Canyon Road in CV has lots of horseback and the street has horse crossing.

I have often seen people on horses in the middle of the hills there. Lake Chabot is very close and is bisected by the Cull Canyon Park.

I can't chime in about the dating scene. But that's probably one of the epicenters of the horse scene. (There are also still cows and ranches once you get off the suburbia of the main road). It also has a Bart station to open up more commuting options.

*CV borders San Ramon and Dublin and by extension Pleasanton almost.

OP.....this post ^^^^^ .

Petaluma is great as well (I have close family who live there and love it), but it is a bit more isolated/less convenient if you want to venture out for a change of pace. I also think the general area would be generally less stimulating for singles than areas that are fairly close to Castro Valley.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,331 times
Thanks for the ideas!

I looked at CV stats and read a few posts from there. The prices look good, but there was some concern about crime increasing towards the Hayward side.

Oddly, there are no crime stats on the City Data page. The hills are supposed to be peaceful, so I will add that to my list.

San Ramon was mentioned in some of the CV threads. It looks cute. Still would prefer Pleasanton though.

Also, besides MC Hammer, why is Fremont expensive-ish? Is it because of the major roads access? And is Half Moon Bay foggy all the time or does it retreat by mid morning?

Thanks for answering anything

Old 07-20-2016, 04:11 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Fremont is expensive-ish, but cheaper than other cities on the Bay because it's, well--on the Bay. Therefore, it's cooler, and closer to "everything" than cities inland.

In my experience, the fog burns off by mid-day in Half Moon Bay, but not all the time. It's always been sunny when I've been there, usually visiting around mid-day for a couple of hours. Also, the fog in general on the coast is a seasonal phenom, so you don't get much, if any, in the fall and into winter. There are probably weather sites for HMB that you could check for more info. However, when the fog does roll in toward evening, you'll want a warm jacket, usually.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:31 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvCritters View Post
Also, besides MC Hammer, why is Fremont expensive-ish? Is it because of the major roads access?
Proximity to jobs that pay well, and to a certain extent...schools...especially in the Mission San Jose area. Mission San Jose High School is one of the best open enrollment public high schools in the United States.

BTW, I believe MC Hammer now lives near Tracy, CA .

Old 07-20-2016, 09:11 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvCritters View Post
Thanks for the ideas!

I looked at CV stats and read a few posts from there. The prices look good, but there was some concern about crime increasing towards the Hayward side.

Oddly, there are no crime stats on the City Data page. The hills are supposed to be peaceful, so I will add that to my list.

San Ramon was mentioned in some of the CV threads. It looks cute. Still would prefer Pleasanton though.

Also, besides MC Hammer, why is Fremont expensive-ish? Is it because of the major roads access? And is Half Moon Bay foggy all the time or does it retreat by mid morning?

Thanks for answering anything
Whatever crime mentioned is way exaggerated. And the part bordering Hayward is more commercial which I assume you would hate. But living off Cull Canyon would be ideal for you. Pleasanton and San Ramon are pretty much the same other than Pleasanton has a small strip of an old downtown. Otherwise it is the same.

Fremont is huge geographically and has lots of personalities and lots of south Asians.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:01 PM

153 posts, read 153,880 times
Oops. Wrong thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland