Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 12:15 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
That's why it's more affordable to live in Southern California!

You can find a nice home in Thousand Oaks, Calabassas, Westlake Village or Agoura Hills for probably 1/3rd less than it would cost in Walnut Creek, Danville, Lafayette and Orinda.

Same scenery, same quality of life, same climate and almost exact same demographics!
Thousand Oaks reminds me of Concord as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 02:40 AM

677 posts, read 835,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
75% of the Bay Area is undeveloped. It's stupid that so much is "protected". If even 50% more was developed prices would be cut into 1/3 their current costs
People do not "need" green space. It is a "nice to have". However, people "need" a roof over their heads. How idiotic is it for people to choose green space over housing? That's why current homeowners should be barred from voting on new developments. If you already own a house you don't get to deny others from also owning a house.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:44 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
People do not "need" green space. It is a "nice to have". However, people "need" a roof over their heads. How idiotic is it for people to choose green space over housing? That's why current homeowners should be barred from voting on new developments. If you already own a house you don't get to deny others from also owning a house.
Nobody is denying you a house. You just dont make enough to buy where you wanna live. Suck it up, buttercup, and move to somewhere cheap or make more money. "But waaaaa... i want the bay area...." lol.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:05 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,341 times
I disagree with TheGreatCurve on green space. I don't think we should expand into the green space. I advocate increasing the density of already developed areas, which is what San Jose is doing. I would also ban new single family homes. We do need more housing, but it should be dense housing.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:02 AM

197 posts, read 271,217 times
Quote:

You can find a nice home in Thousand Oaks, Calabassas, Westlake Village or Agoura Hills for probably 1/3rd less than it would cost in Walnut Creek, Danville, Lafayette and Orinda.

Same scenery, same quality of life, same climate and almost exact same demographics!
Lamorinda and Danville areas are easily the most beautiful little towns I've been to. Utopia there.

One day...better keep saving!

Old 08-25-2016, 08:22 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,231 times
Quote:

This made me almost spit out my coffee! Wow, just wow. "Thousand Oaks, Calabassas, Westlake Village or Agoura Hills" affordable? Seriously? If you're a Kardashian, um sure, but for the average person? It was affordable about, oh say, 40 years ago. Not now.

Hint: Just because these areas are 1/3 less cost than the Bay area, does NOT, I repeat, NOT make it "affordable"... And I don't care if _you_ can afford it (good for you!!!), I'm talking the middle of the bell curve.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:55 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Thousand Oaks reminds me of Concord as well.
If Thousand Oaks had a run-down, gang ridden side of town, then I'd be inclined to agree.

Thousand Oaks though, let's be honest, is better kept. It's cleaner and more manicured. It's the home of Amgen and Cal Lutheran and it has more of a "white collar" feel than Concord.

For all intents and purposes, Concord is a blue collar Delta town. Nothing wrong with that, but it is.

You don't see things like this in Concord:

Or this:

Or:

Old 08-25-2016, 12:07 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
If Thousand Oaks had a run-down, gang ridden side of town, then I'd be inclined to agree.

Thousand Oaks though, let's be honest, is better kept. It's cleaner and more manicured. It's the home of Amgen and Cal Lutheran and it has more of a "white collar" feel than Concord.

For all intents and purposes, Concord is a blue collar Delta town. Nothing wrong with that, but it is.

You don't see things like this in Concord:
Seriously look at a map already, Concord is not on the delta.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:17 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Seriously look at a map already, Concord is not on the delta.
Lucky for it, too. When ocean levels rise in another generation, that waterfront community in the photo will be like Miami Beach during a storm surge.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:46 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Lucky for it, too. When ocean levels rise in another generation, that waterfront community in the photo will be like Miami Beach during a storm surge.
It might help to look at a map as well Ruth, that fake "waterfront community" is about 10 miles from the ocean and 800 feet above sea level. They'll probably need to drain when they run out of water though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland