Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:55 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times

Advertisements

I had an interesting experience on my second last day in San Francisco. I was wandering around the hotel when I inadvertently, and unknowingly, bumped up against some wet paint (touch-up paint was being applied that day). I know there was no sign as I'm pretty good at following signs. The paint on my clothing and belongings was in a place where I could not see it until it was pointed out to me.

When the concierge had a free moment (they were quite busy at the time) I mentioned what had happened. They asked me to come back several hours later when it would be quieter. Several hours later I came back to complete the incident report that I saw being written earlier that day, but apparently there was no incident report, and California law prevents the release of documentation related to incidents. The hotel did not have any business cards for whom to contact. I was told that no one knew anything about touch up paint. There was a lot of scepticism about my claim. I was quite surprised as earlier in the day no one disputed the likelihood that the damage was caused at the hotel.

Later that evening, having more or less having accepted that I was looking at a legal point that was difficult to prove, I came across a crazy random photo I took and there it was, the wet paint! I shared the information with the hotel - identifying the exact location, which was their strong point (legally speaking, if I didn't know where it happened, maybe it didn't happen). They did not request a copy of the photo, but I was told the photo would be mentioned in their report. I said that the photo would be included in my report as well. Sheesh.

The paint on my belongings caused a $250 damage - which I supported through current online references. I'm very optimistic that this will be resolved per a "high class hotel" (their words), but whatever happens will be my lasting memory of San Francisco.

In the end, we agreed that after five days I could assume that I had an answer from the hotel, even if it was silence, and could proceed up the line.

I wish I knew how to start a poll, as I'm curious what the vote would be ... optimism, or refutation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 10:13 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
What exactly are you asking? If we think the hotel will pay for your damaged clothing?

Old 08-20-2016, 11:14 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
If it's a chain just call their corporate office they will reimburse you, no decent hotel is going to make a big deal over $250

Old 08-20-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
What exactly are you asking? If we think the hotel will pay for your damaged clothing?
Yes, I suppose so.

Would a "high class hotel" in San Francisco take the fall for negligence, or would they put the blame on the person who suffered the damages for the sake of cost or reputation ???

What is the general climate at San Francisco hotels regarding responsibility to the guest?

I know the whole schtick of treating visitors in San Francisco as persons "attending a circus", so I'm sceptical that there's another perspective.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If it's a chain just call their corporate office they will reimburse you, no decent hotel is going to make a big deal over $250
It is a conglomerate rather than a chain.
I'm thinking 5 days before I make a call.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:35 PM

I'm sorry.

What surprised me most was the shift in attitude from first reporting the incident, and being able to meet with the right person several hours later. At the time that I was finally able to file a report, the hotel had completely shifted their position from full liability to no liability.

Is that normal in California? The bit about not being able to write a report where we each have a copy of the incident and California law was really confusing.

Finding the photo refuted the position of the hotel that if I could not identify the location, then I had no claim.

I was a bit floored by the complete 180, so now I'm curious.
... and I'm curious about what people from San Francisco expect from their tourist industry.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:44 PM

SF MOMA is not part of what is promoted by the hotels.

The cable car and marie-go-round at Pier 39 are the voice of the tourism industry, as I hear it. I had to figure it out for myself how to visit museums and hikes.

Taxis ... and joy rides. I stayed at a hotel, my son stayed at a hostel, and we met at specific points in the city, and then compared taxi routes and price ... what a nightmare.

Taxi joyriding in San Francisco should be stopped - as it really pisses people off.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:46 PM

I went on an amazing hike from Ocean Beach passed the Cliff House through the park and it is almost impossible to find the pass under the Golden Gate Bridge!

Old 08-20-2016, 11:47 PM

Try having dinner in the Mission District!

I've never had such amazingly prepared blow your mind taste dishes

Old 08-21-2016, 12:01 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
soooo....

is your "lasting memory" of SF going to be the paint job?.....or Mission District food?......or looking for the pass under the GG bridge?.....

quite a "180" there in your last posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: