Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 01:28 PM

32 posts, read 25,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Umm. How about ==> white people? I know these kids are annoying but that doesn't mean we can forget the past.
Please stop with the White guilt. Slavery is over, none of my people kept slaves. Nobody black knows slaves. In fact, Blacks enslaved other Blacks. There were Irish Slaves too but I guess since they are White nobody cares about them. Only Blacks were slaves right? Even though other Blacks owned and kept them in slavery. But everything is Da White Mans fault huh? Dats Racist. My Baby Din Do Nuffin!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 01:34 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,427,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I see you were unable to see the wrongheaded nature of the protest and make foolish assumptions about those who duly note the students' stupidity.

The topic being discussed is the action of these students not the educational prowess of the school as a whole. Fallacious much?
Talking like that makes you come across as an idiot. Also, please note the obvious sarcasm in the post you quoted.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:44 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Percenter View Post
Please stop with the White guilt. Slavery is over, none of my people kept slaves. Nobody black knows slaves. In fact, Blacks enslaved other Blacks. There were Irish Slaves too but I guess since they are White nobody cares about them. Only Blacks were slaves right? Even though other Blacks owned and kept them in slavery. But everything is Da White Mans fault huh? Dats Racist. My Baby Din Do Nuffin!!!
OK, I've never heard this argument before, LOL.

Have you researched your family tree, and can you say with 100% certainty that no one in your family owned slaves or benefited from slavery? My family is from Pennsylvania. I can be pretty sure they didn't have slaves, but I can't be 100% sure of that. They have been around since at least 1775 so it's possible they had black slaves or white slaves. Even if they didn't have slaves, they might have still had black or white servants. Did they treat them well? Were they paid reasonably?

Slavery doesn't exist in the historical way in the US, but what about racism? Can you pretend that racism no longer exists? What effect has racism had on African Americans? Were they given a fair chance for jobs? Were they treated well at companies they worked for?

Old 10-26-2016, 01:49 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Without reading any of the posts, who microagressed whom this week?

Old 10-26-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
OK, I've never heard this argument before, LOL.

Have you researched your family tree, and can you say with 100% certainty that no one in your family owned slaves or benefited from slavery? My family is from Pennsylvania. I can be pretty sure they didn't have slaves, but I can't be 100% sure of that. They have been around since at least 1775 so it's possible they had black slaves or white slaves. Even if they didn't have slaves, they might have still had black or white servants. Did they treat them well? Were they paid reasonably?

Slavery doesn't exist in the historical way in the US, but what about racism? Can you pretend that racism no longer exists? What effect has racism had on African Americans? Were they given a fair chance for jobs? Were they treated well at companies they worked for?
I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the fact Slavery is over. Get over it, we have a black president. Racism is practiced by Black people at a far higher level. It's become very en vogue to bash whites. I'm sick of it.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:56 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Umm. How about ==> white people? I know these kids are annoying but that doesn't mean we can forget the past.
This has nothing to do with the past. This is about daily reality for students of color at US universities, and the more prestigious the university, the worse it is. Students are frequently deflecting derogatory comments from white students about how they don't deserve to be there, they didn't really earn their place at Berkeley, because "everyone" knows that minority students are given a leg up through Affirmative Action admissions, or some special program that admits unqualified students for diversity's sake. They are chronically made to feel like chopped liver, while it's assumed that white students have better educations or did better in school and earned the grades/test scored that got them admitted. (This actually isn't true; Educational Opportunity programs admit underachieving white students, as well as some students of color. And there are plenty of minority students who excelled in school, and are very competitive in university admissions.)

Students of color also put up with ignorant comments in class about their ethnic group, and deal with a variety of situations outside of class that make them feel like nothing more than a token, or an object of study for a sociology class. They may even have to deal with racial slurs, either delivered verbally, or written on walls or bathroom stalls. All of this and more result in students being burdened and stressed in ways that students of the dominant culture are not. Because of that, they're not able to participate in the university experience on an equal footing to white students. It's similar to how President Obama pointed out that women students who have to go through university defending themselves against potential or real assaults, are suffering a type of discrimination that can affect the quality of their studies and their mental health, and shouldn't be tolerated.

This is not to say that the way the students at Berkeley chose to raise awareness of the issue was good or bad. This is only explaining the issue behind it. Back in the late 80's and 90's, students of color and concerned white students addressed the problem by urging their university administration to adopt an ethnic studies requirement as part of the general distribution requirements. Some universities did institute such a requirement, others experimented with it but dropped it, some didn't bother. Now, it appears that the issue has come to a head, and is manifesting in this type of protest.

What it boils down to is that women and students of color have the right to go to college unharassed, on an equal footing to students who take at least a minimal level of respect and bodily integrity for granted. That's all it is.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:01 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the fact Slavery is over. Get over it, we have a black president. Racism is practiced by Black people at a far higher level. It's become very en vogue to bash whites. I'm sick of it.
Oh, we have a black president, do we? That sure stopped all the problems. No, wait it didn't. People still deal with racism. See the previous post.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
How would you know? Are you aware of the utterances and moment-to-moment behavior of all the white people around you toward non-whites? Have you done studies on job applications, to see how many highly-qualified minority applicants are turned down in favor of white applicants, including those less qualified? Have you studied how acceptance to Gifted Student programs in the schools works, and how many children of color are turned down in spite of exceptional achievement? Do you strive to inform yourself of the subtle yet pervasive racism that the dominant culture visits on others? Are you qualified to speak on this issue?

Old 10-26-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How would you know? Are you aware of the utterances and moment-to-moment behavior of all the white people around you toward non-whites? Have you done studies on job applications, to see how many highly-qualified minority applicants are turned down in favor of white applicants, including those less qualified? Have you studied how acceptance to Gifted Student programs in the schools works, and how many children of color are turned down in spite of exceptional achievement? Do you strive to inform yourself of the subtle yet pervasive racism that the dominant culture visits on others? Are you qualified to speak on this issue?
Affirmative Action, All the racist jokes by Black Comedians trashing whites, BLM aka The Black KKK, The Black Panthers aka The Black KKK, Kaepernick etc etc. America has been catering to Blacks while oppressing Whites.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Affirmative Action, All the racist jokes by Black Comedians trashing whites, BLM aka The Black KKK, The Black Panthers aka The Black KKK, Kaepernick etc etc. America has been catering to Blacks while oppressing Whites.
What has Kaepernick done that's racist?

Chris Rock is hilarious. You should hear Native American comedians! No, wait--you shouldn't. Never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland