Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 01:55 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Outside of the week ends there is no point. This is California, even SF goes to sleep and that is the way folks prefer it.

Booooooring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 11:12 AM

520 posts, read 611,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I looked it up, and you're right, service currently ends at midnight. It used to end service at 3am, which I took full advantage of whenever I've been home visiting my parents in Northern VA. This wasn't always the case though (it just changed hours this January) and it's mostly due to them upgrading the system right now. What is BART's excuse?
Among other things, the original voters for BART were cheap and didn't build double tracks so the overnight hours are needed for maintenance: Why doesn't BART run 24 hours? | bart.gov

Old 11-21-2016, 10:00 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I looked it up, and you're right, service currently ends at midnight. It used to end service at 3am, which I took full advantage of whenever I've been home visiting my parents in Northern VA. This wasn't always the case though (it just changed hours this January) and it's mostly due to them upgrading the system right now. What is BART's excuse?
BART was historically an Oakland / SF connector. Many locals discussed BARTs sporadic night/weekend service on "keeping the riff-raff out".

Old 11-29-2016, 01:41 AM

83 posts, read 95,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Voted for it and very happy it passed. Anyone who thinks that improvements to BART can wait OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T RIDE IT AND HAS NO CLUE WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT. Trains are jam packed during commute hours. Replacing the pong-era electronics will increase throughput through the transbay tube by 25%, massively improving capacity. The measure also clearly states that none of the money can be used for employee salaries or pensions, so the tin-foil hat crew can pipe down.
Well, that's not exactly true son. During commute, at any given time there are 5 BART trains in each direction in the Transbay tube. With capacity of 2,000 people per 700’+ train in AW3 (look it up) that amounts to 20,000 souls barreling along at 70 mph in both directions combined. The physics of what you elude to as overcrowding elimination won’t withstand the math, not to mention the escalator max volume.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I don't know why voters don't realize this simple fact. Property tax increases actually disproportionately have an effect on renters. Property owners pass ALL the increases onto renters with increased rents, and guess what? You can't claim the taxes on your returns.
I've held the line on rent increases for years... some going back almost 10 years when they were hit by the recession.

I did send out a letter expressing concern over all the property tax measures in my city before the voters.

Just about all passed and I can no longer afford to absorb higher property taxes, mandatory garbage fees, city business tax, rent board fees, landscape fees, water/sewer charges and just the overall higher cost of doing business.

I know it will hit some hard... but elections have consequences.

Still have a two bedroom single family home under $800 a month and many 3 bedroom single family homes at $1500 where similar rents on the same street for $2600

The alternative is to sell to future owner occupants.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:46 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I don't know why voters don't realize this simple fact. Property tax increases actually disproportionately have an effect on renters. Property owners pass ALL the increases onto renters with increased rents, and guess what? You can't claim the taxes on your returns.
Broadly speaking, renters are, unfortunately, a financially stupid group.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:21 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've held the line on rent increases for years... some going back almost 10 years when they were hit by the recession.

I did send out a letter expressing concern over all the property tax measures in my city before the voters.

Just about all passed and I can no longer afford to absorb higher property taxes, mandatory garbage fees, city business tax, rent board fees, landscape fees, water/sewer charges and just the overall higher cost of doing business.

I know it will hit some hard... but elections have consequences.

Still have a two bedroom single family home under $800 a month and many 3 bedroom single family homes at $1500 where similar rents on the same street for $2600

The alternative is to sell to future owner occupants.
You sound like a great landlord - I wish this region had more people like you running properties. I think it's very fair to raise the rent on these people given you haven't raised rent in years, and given how far below market they appear to be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Broadly speaking, renters are, unfortunately, a financially stupid group.
Uh huh...

Old 12-01-2016, 03:32 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I do look at it as a win/win...

Good tenants are golden and anyone knows how much time a bad tenant can take.

My best indicators are average tenancy of over 13 years and almost all new tenants are referrals from current tenants.

When I managed a lot of property for others... it really was treated as an investment... really no different from owning Stocks... there was never a question as to if the rent was going up... only how much... turnover of 24 to 30 months was seen as a good thing and indicative of being priced a market.

I find my time to be quite limited at times... having residents that treat the home as their own and only call for something like a water heater makes it possible.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:40 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Borenstein: BART reneging on $3.5 billion bond deal promise

Called it.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:06 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kl4nd View Post
lol!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland