Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 12:05 PM

5,525 posts, read 8,796,099 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to extend my condolences to the friends and families lost in the horrible fire in Oakland. Last I heard it was 24 dead. It's just horrible. For the individuals affected and I'd guess for the city as a whole. I hope that this brings some stronger enforcement of building codes and doesn't entirely discourage those in Oaktown's young arts scene. To all the innocent dead, RIP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 01:26 PM

711 posts, read 690,918 times
This has been heartbreaking to watch. Personally I fear that the death toll is going to go much higher. From what I understand there's a lot of the building that will have to be slowly and carefully dismantled to prevent danger and injury to those doing the work. The FD and PD seem to be doing really amazing work thus far and those I've seen interviewed are taking it VERY hard.

I've seen a couple interviews with the City Councilman that represents that area. I think he's been frustrated with city enforcement and with owner/managers of this type of building being indifferent and/or feigning ignorance.

RIP to those who have passed and my wishes for peace and resolution for those friends and family members waiting for information.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:15 PM

3,911 posts, read 4,563,460 times
Default RIP to the victims...

It's so heartbreaking to think of all those kids having fun and then the horror of it all.

The "Ghost Ship" as it was known, was a haven for artists and bohemians and I can see the attraction...the pictures of the place make it look so cozy and fun, but it sure looked an accident waiting to happen. It had already been cited by building inspectors, and apparently there were people who were illegally living there.

Pre-Fire Photos From Inside Oakland's 'Ghost Ship' Collective, Which Was Cited Two Weeks Ago By Building Inspectors: SFist

Honestly, it makes me wonder how many other structures are vulnerable with people living in them especially considering the housing situation there.

Reminds me of when I stayed in an old (cheap comparatively) hotel in London and we were put in a room on the 5th floor. I noticed the old wooden staircase and the window outside the room of the brick building had no fire escape. The outside may have survived a fire, but the inside was kindling wood. I was so nervous I stayed awake all night and the next day changed to the first floor.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:08 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,929,066 times
It doesn't really change what happened, but I do think labeling this as a rave misinforms what was actually happening here before the fire started. It sounded much smaller and more intimate - basically a big house party (in a big death trap).

So sad - I've been in a few artist warehouses similar to the photos posted above in Berkeley and Oakland before...I've always thought they were mostly death traps, too...

Old 12-04-2016, 06:26 PM

500 posts, read 842,941 times
Speaking of raves in Oakland...I recall back years ago there was an incident where someone drove by the line to get into one of the raves and opened fire at random. Don't recall if anyone got killed back then, that's when I decided I won't go there again.

Not sure why building inspectors and the city did not take action--they had known about the fire safety situation, as some stated (and named names). Hard to believe in this is happening in the US, in CA especially, with all the building codes and inspectors.
It's 33 people apparently, now. If they can prove the city knew about fire violations, I bet the city will be sued and will lose, as seems like the place never got real enforcement.

One should think twice about going into basements where various events often happen, too....these are death traps.
The area being earthquake zone, one pretty much should assume very high fire and trapping (jammed doors) hazard anywhere, any time, and think of escape routes in advance.

Last edited by xani; 12-04-2016 at 06:35 PM..

Old 12-04-2016, 06:57 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,023,701 times
Substandard fire trap property in Oakland? Gee never seen that before.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:09 PM

500 posts, read 842,941 times
Oakland (and other locations in the Bay) have plenty of such properties being used for whatever. Now this needs to stop or someone's heads will fall: too many victims to shove it under the carpet.
They need to bring to code compliance, or sell and walk. May be apartment complexes can be built instead of non-compliant spaces, on these lots, helping to alleviate housing problem. City needs to start condemning these properties if they don't comply to Cal fire.
Criminal charges will be filed in this case, I'm pretty sure.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:02 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,643,205 times
Just like gun violence, we can't be silent when things like that happen. The city is absolutely at fault for this. They absolutely knew what was happening in that warehouse and looked the other way. In San Francisco Jane Kim fought to keep a warehouse as an artist collective when the owner wanted to revert it back to a warehouse.

I guarantee you that somebody in Oakland government knows about every single warehouse that is used like this and they do nothing. These spaces provide easy solutions to the housing problem for them. Much easier to look the other way than fight NIMBYs and try to build more housing.

I hope the families of the victims sue the crap out of Oakland.

Last edited by HappyinCali; 12-05-2016 at 08:11 AM..

Old 12-05-2016, 10:01 AM

6,089 posts, read 5,008,195 times
I sympathize with the deaths of so many artist and young people, but this was 100% preventable. As someone who used to own a 4 unit complex in the Bay Area, I can tell you "Tenant rights" and liberal policies are a huge part of why this place burned down in the first place. Does anyone actually think the conditions in this building were to OSHA safety codes? I bet you $10,000 cash there were multiple violations.

But oh no, we can't impose on these poor democratic liberal artist, that would be too harsh, and possibly racist! So you let them live in a virtual tinder box, doing flame and fire exhibitions and guess what, they burn the place down all around them and kill themselves. This is what happens when you raise young kids to believe that the "rules" are bendable and don't apply to them. These people did not respect the rule of law at all and it cost them their lives.

I feel for the parents of these young people (and the relatives of the older ones), but damn, these liberal hipsters are such hard headed morons, they're literally getting themselves killed with their idiocy.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:36 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,735,351 times
Leave it to CaliRestoration to use this story as an excuse to spout off about liberals....right on cue as expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland