Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 12:52 PM

63 posts, read 152,091 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about applying for a job in Oakland. My housing budget would be $2500/mo for a 2 BR apt, and I'm okay with a half hour commute. I currently live in a small midwestern city, and I prefer a smaller city/suburb/family-friendly feel. Living in a suburb with a BART station would be ideal, but I don't know which cities to avoid.

From looking at apartment websites, my budget seems doable. On weekends I'd be looking to get out into nature (hiking, etc) as opposed to city/nightlife stuff. I've read very mixed reviews about the East Bay area in general. Just looking at a map, the Concord/Pleasant Hill looks like a possibility.

I'm also looking at living further out - maybe Vacaville area - and commuting in on an Amtrak (I can get work done on the train, so a longer commute would be okay).

Thoughts/suggestions? What are places to avoid? What cities should I consider?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 01:26 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locolady View Post
I'm thinking about applying for a job in Oakland. My housing budget would be $2500/mo for a 2 BR apt, and I'm okay with a half hour commute. I currently live in a small midwestern city, and I prefer a smaller city/suburb/family-friendly feel. Living in a suburb with a BART station would be ideal, but I don't know which cities to avoid.

From looking at apartment websites, my budget seems doable. On weekends I'd be looking to get out into nature (hiking, etc) as opposed to city/nightlife stuff. I've read very mixed reviews about the East Bay area in general. Just looking at a map, the Concord/Pleasant Hill looks like a possibility.

I'm also looking at living further out - maybe Vacaville area - and commuting in on an Amtrak (I can get work done on the train, so a longer commute would be okay).

Thoughts/suggestions? What are places to avoid? What cities should I consider?

Thanks!
I live in Pleasant Hill, right on the border of Walnut Creek. I have a 2 bed 1 bath apartment (approx.750 sq.ft) and pay $2150 for it. There is a BART Station, although I don't use it. Pleasant Hill is a decent area, but as with most areas, a lot of car break ins do unfortunately happen if you're stuck with street parking.

Concord has decent parts, but also had some really bad parts as well. Stay away from Detroit Ave & Monument Blvd if you choose Concord.

My commute to Oakland ranges from 20-35 minutes depending on traffic

Old 05-04-2017, 01:41 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
You don't really need to live all the way out in Vacaville, unless you want to for some reason. Your budget can afford you somewhere nice and much closer. Also just know the new Amtrak station there won't open until October at the earliest.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:14 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Walnut Creek would be perfect for you, IMO. People go hiking on Mt. Diablo, and there are walking/biking trails in some parts of town. The commute to Oakland is a little over 20 mins.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:26 PM

63 posts, read 152,091 times
Thanks for the replies! I wasn't looking at Walnut Creek - I'll check it out. Nice to hear about nearby hiking and walking trails. That sounds wonderful.

I had seen a couple of remarks about car break-ins, but hadn't given it much thought. Are there many gated communities around? Would that help?

I'm thinking about further out mainly to be away from city congestion. I'm used to smaller cities with no traffic problems, and I'm thinking my transition to CA might be easier if I'm out in the sticks a little. I'm just weighing the different options.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:37 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
If you're worried about congestion definitely avoid Walnut Creek, and Pleasant Hill for that matter. Though it's pretty hard to avoid overall anywhere in the region. In-town congestion probably isn't as bad in Vacaville but there is freeway congestion.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:34 PM

702 posts, read 954,504 times
There's traffic everywhere. If you think you're going to avoid "city congestion" in the "sticks" you're fooling yourself. The only way to have a relatively stress-free commute is to live within walking distance of a BART station.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:30 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,303,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
The only way to have a relatively stress-free commute is to live within walking distance of a BART station.
Being packed into a very overcrowded human cattle car like the Bart train at rush hour is even more stressful than driving in heavy traffic. At least if I am stuck in a traffic jam I am enjoying the cool air conditioned comfort of my car while listening to an uplifting educational program or great music.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:33 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
I think the OP could handle 20 mins. on BART from WC through Orinda to Rockridge, and on to downtown Oakland. Not a bad route, as far as BART routes go. Depending on where her job location turns out to be.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-04-2017 at 08:41 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 02:57 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
I'd suggest Alameda, Castro Valley, Orinda, Lafayette, Moraga, and Walnut Creek for the suburban feel.

Since you sound like you're really into mountains and forests, Lamorinda (Lafayette, Moraga, and Orinda) may be your cup of tea since you are practically living right inside nature. There are two BART stations that serve this area.

Oakland and Berkeley for a little more urban environment. For Oakland, stay north of 580; check out neighborhoods of Monclair, Claremont, etc.

There will be no shortage of places for you to hike. I don't like hiking but I hear Mt. Diablo in the East Bay is quite good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland