Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:40 PM

5 posts, read 6,813 times

Advertisements

Relocated from So Cal about 4 years ago to Bay and rents are constantly increasing. I have to find another rental as the owners plan to sell their home, everything for a family of 7 in Brentwood area is just so high now. I was hoping to find a less expensive lease but there are reasons why certain areas are less: bad schools, seedy area, or issue with house. Considered moving to Folsom but that's a hell of a commute for my husband. What is the best corner to cut... I figure I can homeschool my kids for awhile- not my first pick but better than some things out here. I can see we will be priced out of the area in the next 5 yrs if things continue. May even look at mobile home but park fees increase and I'm not sure how 5 kids would do in a mobile or apartment.

How would one pick another state and find a job to relocate again? I can't see being able to afford to stay here until I die, and I know my kids will be priced out by the time they grow up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 08:24 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyfigsugar View Post
Relocated from So Cal about 4 years ago to Bay and rents are constantly increasing. I have to find another rental as the owners plan to sell their home, everything for a family of 7 in Brentwood area is just so high now. I was hoping to find a less expensive lease but there are reasons why certain areas are less: bad schools, seedy area, or issue with house. Considered moving to Folsom but that's a hell of a commute for my husband. What is the best corner to cut... I figure I can homeschool my kids for awhile- not my first pick but better than some things out here. I can see we will be priced out of the area in the next 5 yrs if things continue. May even look at mobile home but park fees increase and I'm not sure how 5 kids would do in a mobile or apartment.

How would one pick another state and find a job to relocate again? I can't see being able to afford to stay here until I die, and I know my kids will be priced out by the time they grow up...
First things first, what's your budget?

Old 07-27-2017, 08:46 AM

197 posts, read 271,439 times
Easy.

Move to Arizona where the weather is similar to far East Bay. Newer, nicer, safer, better schools, lower taxes, and a much better quality of life. And take family vacations to the Bay Area.

Gilbert, Az #2 safest city in the USA.

Chandler, Az #6 safest city in the USA.

Scottsdale, Az #9 safest city in the USA.

You can rent a practically new McMansion in Gilbert for $2,000/mo. Send your kids to 8/10, 9/10 and 10/10 schools. Everything is brand spanking new, clean (one thing about the Bay from an outsiders perspective is just how run down and dirty many parts are).

Want snow? Drive 2 hours north to Flagstaff.

Want lakes? Tons of them believe it or not.

Want an ocean? 50 min fight to San Diego. 3.5 hour drive to Rocky Point, Mexico....half the town are residents from California and Arizona. Safe, everything in English, everywhere takes dollars.

Oh, and you'll actually be able to save money. Saw an article yesterday that 1/3 of Californians have no savings in the bank. 😁😁

Old 07-27-2017, 08:51 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,725,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post
Easy.

Move to Arizona where the weather is similar to far East Bay. Newer, nicer, safer, better schools, lower taxes, and a much better quality of life. And take family vacations to the Bay Area.

Chandler, Az #6 safest city in the USA.

Scottsdale, Az #9 safest city in the USA.

You can rent a practically new McMansion in Gilbert for $2,000/mo. Send your kids to 8/10, 9/10 and 10/10 schools. Everything is brand spanking new, clean (one thing about the Bay from an outsiders perspective is just how run down and dirty many parts are).

Want snow? Drive 2 hours north to Flagstaff.

Want lakes? Tons of them believe it or not.

Want an ocean? 50 min fight to San Diego. 3.5 hour drive to Rocky Point, Mexico....half the town are residents from California and Arizona. Safe, everything in English, everywhere takes dollars.

Oh, and you'll actually be able to save money. Saw an article yesterday that 1/3 of Californians have no savings in the bank. 😁😁
50 minute flight + 2 hours to actually get onboard.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
50 minute flight + 2 hours to actually get onboard.
Still beats paying $3,500/mo to live in Brentwood 😁

Old 07-27-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Not really. If you work outside you basically die if you run out of water.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Not really. If you work outside you basically die if you run out of water.
No humidity here. 110 in the summer feels the exact same as like 90 degrees in the East Bay. You barely sweat in Az due to no humidity.

And everyone has swimming pools here. Or spends summer staycations at awesome resorts in Scottsdale for $80/night. Kick back, and enjoy a drink poolside

Old 07-27-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
No humidity here. 110 in the summer feels the exact same as like 90 degrees in the East Bay. You barely sweat in Az due to no humidity.

And everyone has swimming pools here. Or spends summer staycations at awesome resorts in Scottsdale for $80/night. Kick back, and enjoy a drink poolside
108 is where the body shuts down and you die.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:26 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Easy.

I'm still laughing about the California woman who moved her family to Gilbert and promptly started complaining because there are "so many Mormons" there.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:15 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,733 times
Quote:
It doesn't cost $3500 for a place in Brentwood. Houses for rent are anywhere from $2200-$3000. Single family homes, with 3-4 bedrooms. You're overshooting the actual pricing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland