Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:44 AM

323 posts, read 1,426,201 times

Advertisements

When would that be for touring SF? does June-August have summer fog that we don't get a clear view of the Golden Gate, Alcatraz, from Twin Peaks etc
(even in the noon?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 03:59 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,667 times
Most days will have summer fog but that doesn't necessarily mean you won't have good views. Often there will be morning fog which dissipates in the early to late am, a period of clear weather and then the fog rolls back in during the early to late afternoon depending on where you are in the city.

Most people agree that fall is the best time to visit. It's generally warmer with more clear days. As you move into November the rainy season starts. Lots of overcast days but not much fog. Spring is also pretty fog free but is cooler and usually more breezy.

Personally, I wouldn't worry much about it. Just pack for variable weather, wear layers, and enjoy your visit.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:00 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
^what he said.

Sep-Oct is the warmest time of year in the City...strange but true.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 AM

312 posts, read 1,519,725 times
San Fran has mild climate always

Old 03-04-2008, 12:17 AM

46 posts, read 202,071 times
The fog is pretty, too. It rolls in fast and thick, and is a beautiful sight from the restaurant at the top of the Hilton if you're up for a fancy night out. If you come in the summer, take the advice to dress in layers seriously. I see lots of freezing tourists shivering in tee shirts and shorts on summer afternoons. It is often blue skies and warm temperatures until around 4pm, and then the fog comes in and it's windy, wet, and very very cold.

Here are a couple of examples:

YouTube - Sunset as Golden Gate, SF Bay are fogged in

YouTube - Fog rolls in south of San Francisco

Old 03-04-2008, 12:30 AM

323 posts, read 1,426,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGirl View Post
The fog is pretty, too. It rolls in fast and thick, and is a beautiful sight from the restaurant at the top of the Hilton if you're up for a fancy night out. If you come in the summer, take the advice to dress in layers seriously. I see lots of freezing tourists shivering in tee shirts and shorts on summer afternoons. It is often blue skies and warm temperatures until around 4pm, and then the fog comes in and it's windy, wet, and very very cold.

Here are a couple of examples:

YouTube - Sunset as Golden Gate, SF Bay are fogged in

YouTube - Fog rolls in south of San Francisco
Thanks, so when would the morning fog burn off? And the evening fog come in? What would be a good time to view the Golden Gate bridge for a clear view in the summer with no fog? I like the fog as well, but would like to see a clear view of the bridge as well.

What about the best time to visit twin peaks in the summer?

Old 03-04-2008, 01:24 AM

46 posts, read 202,071 times
For both the bridge and twin peaks, the whole city in general, I'd say between 10am - 4pm would be the best time for fog-free sightseeing.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:25 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
September - October is the warmest and most fog-free time of the year in SF.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:43 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,339 times
Ooh-ooh-oooh, can I throw in a gratuitous Mark Twain quote? Please???
"The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco".

Whew, thanks guys!

(Lucky it's a gorgeous place to be cold in!)

Old 03-04-2008, 01:50 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Ooh-ooh-oooh, can I throw in a gratuitous Mark Twain quote? Please???
Go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland