Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 02:31 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Actual evidence of Climate Change in San Francisco would be monthly 106F degree heat waves every summer, consistent high temps in the 80's or 90's in San Francisco as the new normal. This has not happened, not even close to happening.
This tells me that you don't fully understand how climate change operates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 06:14 AM

10 posts, read 14,344 times
I already know who listens to KSFO on here, stop listening to that Sussman dude. Hehe I kid, I kid.

There is no denying Climate change is real and SF is in the crosshairs. The heat last week was an eye opener, I have been devouring paper after paper, learning bit by bit, after experiencing 110 in SoMa. UNREAL.

If you can't be bothered to read the math, don't comment. You could share your views on the Coriolloris effect and its role on Climate change or discuss solutions of tech displaced along Lagrangian points, etc.to control Albedos. That would be constructive commentary, instead of rehashing the talking points of the right.

Let me remind you, FL Gov banned the use of the word 'climate change'. The right has truly gone stark raving mad.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:40 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
This tells me that you don't fully understand how climate change operates.
Sorry, I realized I left out quite a few words in my earlier post, here is an edited version.

We should follow the left wing mantra by "Questioning Authority". Perhaps we should question the current authoritarians on Climate Change who follow a biased unscientific DOGMA. Instead of being truly scientific and testing and retesting their hypothesis, they simply try to find evidence to justify their unscientific dogmatic beliefs. They ignore any evidence that suggests mankind actually has very little effect in causing climate change.

Have you ever thought that the "religious dogma" of today is our BLIND FAITH in unscientific beliefs in climate change.

Actual evidence of Climate Change in San Francisco would be monthly 106F degree heat waves every summer. Consistent high temps in the 80's or 90's in San Francisco as the new normal. This has not happened, not even close to happening.

Do we have weather data on the 1800's or the 1700's. Perhaps 106F heat waves did occur in SF one day a year. If so, the last heat wave in SF would not be evidential of accelerated climate change.

So how does climate change actually operate? If we belief the Earth experienced an Ice Age, then we already know climate change happened. Whats the solution, changing all cars to electric. Then how do we get rid of fuel cell batteries. Apparently they are just as destructive to the environment as car exhaust.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:12 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Sorry, I realized I left out quite a few words in my earlier post, here is an edited version.

We should follow the left wing mantra by "Questioning Authority". Perhaps we should question the current authoritarians on Climate Change who follow a biased unscientific DOGMA. Instead of being truly scientific and testing and retesting their hypothesis, they simply try to find evidence to justify their unscientific dogmatic beliefs. They ignore any evidence that suggests mankind actually has very little effect in causing climate change.

Have you ever thought that the "religious dogma" of today is our BLIND FAITH in unscientific beliefs in climate change.

Actual evidence of Climate Change in San Francisco would be monthly 106F degree heat waves every summer. Consistent high temps in the 80's or 90's in San Francisco as the new normal. This has not happened, not even close to happening.

Do we have weather data on the 1800's or the 1700's. Perhaps 106F heat waves did occur in SF one day a year. If so, the last heat wave in SF would not be evidential of accelerated climate change.

So how does climate change actually operate? If we belief the Earth experienced an Ice Age, then we already know climate change happened. Whats the solution, changing all cars to electric. Then how do we get rid of fuel cell batteries. Apparently they are just as destructive to the environment as car exhaust.
You are woefully ignorant. Talking points spoon fed by a specific political party, rather than reading the SCIENCE leaves me thinking that you're not really capable of learning/reading/understanding. For every denial on an issue, there's scientific proof to debunk whatever you believe.

There are Climatologists, Meteorologists, Atmospheric dynamics, Solar physics, Historical climatologists, Atmospheric physics, Geochemists, Geologists, Soil scientists, Glaciologists, Ecologists, Paleoclimatologists, Oceanographers, Synthetic biologists, Biochemists, Global change biologists, Biogeographers, Ecophysiologists, Ecological geneticists, Applied mathematicians, statisticians, etc.

This is a diverse field and so many aren't even listed. There are of course also non-scientific folks that are involved in humanities and social sciences, economics, and engineering involved in studying these issues as well.

Are you any of these? Do you go out on ships out to sea or study glaciers up in the Arctic? Do you used Bayesian interference, time series analysis, or numerical modelling in your day to day or do you just repeat what someone from the radio or some politician (with obvious agendas pointing to the coal and oil industries) says? Do you know that thousands of peer reviewed studies have taken place over man, many years by these types of scientists that all point to the same conclusion--that global warming is caused by human activity.

Ooh, it's snowing so it must mean climate change isn't happening? Ooh, a baby was born and a stork must have been by that day. You expect someone to trust your experience on this?

Read--if you are able. Or is science/data just make believe to you- a fairy tale so sell more batteries? lol.
Information is out there for you to peruse. As for solutions, there's plenty on that too. But I won't bother to post since I don't have much faith in reading comprehension.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...lobal-warming/

Also, since you mentioned whether the heat wave in San Francisco was caused by climate change, you can read about that too---scientists say, "not exactly"

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/0...limate-change/

Last edited by clongirl; 09-10-2017 at 11:32 AM..

Old 09-10-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
This 'crazy' "Republican" Czech President is but one example that debunks your statements above.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=idKceFvO7AM

So in other words, you found another politician that debunks climate change. Sure, I'll take this guy's word over any professionals that actually spend their lives studying the topic.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:50 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
You are woefully ignorant. Talking points spoon fed by a specific political party, rather than reading the SCIENCE leaves me thinking that you're not really capable of learning/reading/understanding. For every denial on an issue, there's scientific proof to debunk whatever you believe.

There are Climatologists, Meteorologists, Atmospheric dynamics, Solar physics, Historical climatologists, Atmospheric physics, Geochemists, Geologists, Soil scientists, Glaciologists, Ecologists, Paleoclimatologists, Oceanographers, Synthetic biologists, Biochemists, Global change biologists, Biogeographers, Ecophysiologists, Ecological geneticists, Applied mathematicians, statisticians, etc.

This is a diverse field and so many aren't even listed. There are of course also non-scientific folks that are involved in humanities and social sciences, economics, and engineering involved in studying these issues as well.

Are you any of these? Do you go out on ships out to sea or study glaciers up in the Arctic? Do you used Bayesian interference, time series analysis, or numerical modelling in your day to day or do you just repeat what someone from the radio or some politician (with obvious agendas pointing to the coal and oil industries) says? Do you know that thousands of peer reviewed studies have taken place over man, many years by these types of scientists that all point to the same conclusion--that global warming is caused by human activity.

Ooh, it's snowing so it must mean climate change isn't happening? Ooh, a baby was born and a stork must have been by that day. You expect someone to trust your experience on this?

Read--if you are able. Or is science/data just make believe to you- a fairy tale so sell more batteries? lol.
Information is out there for you to peruse. As for solutions, there's plenty on that too. But I won't bother to post since I don't have much faith in reading comprehension.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...lobal-warming/

Also, since you mentioned whether the heat wave in San Francisco was caused by climate change, you can read about that too---scientists say, "not exactly"

California heat wave: How much is from climate change?
Ad hominem attack alert above. What exactly is the poster above 'ignorant' of and how do you know what the poster knows on this topic?

RE meteorlogists, there is no unanimity re "climate change" among meteorologists, far from it, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
So in other words, you found another politician that debunks climate change. Sure, I'll take this guy's word over any professionals that actually spend their lives studying the topic.
Do you bother to read or listen to things with which you are inclined to disagree? I do.

No, I didn't just find it for you. I was very well aware of what Klaus said and have been for a long time, just as I am with Lord Monckton, Putin and others.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Ad hominem attack alert above. What exactly is the poster above 'ignorant' of and how do you know what the poster knows on this topic?

RE meteorlogists, there is no unanimity re "climate change" among meteorologists, far from it, actually.

Do you bother to read or listen to things with which you are inclined to disagree? I do.

No, I didn't just find it for you. I was very well aware of what Klaus said and have been for a long time, just as I am with Lord Monckton, Putin and others.
You're absolutely right that I did not listen to the EX president of the Czech Republic (who is not a scientist but a politician that was tried for TREASON and was notoriously anti-science, anti-homosexual,etc) to get my factual, science based information. He's not credible. Period.
Might as well listen to Mickey Mouse.

Just as I wouldn't be inclined to seek the help of a well known EX-landscape architect if I were diagnosed with cancer and needed advice on treatment options. I would take my diagnosis to more than one medical professional and avoid the exorcist.

Do you understand what OVERWHELMING CONSENSUS means?

You can read this survey which actually shows that the MAJORITY of meteorologists would agree with the science. Nitpicking over ONE type of scientific professional as basing your conclusion off of her opinion does not make for OVERWHELMING SCIENTIFIC CONSENSUS.

https://gmuchss.az1.qualtrics.com/CP...RR9lW0HjZaiVV3

Here's a simple picture (below the paragraph) if you want to skip over words and language as well that show visually in an easy to understand picture what the OVERWHELMING CONSENSUS looks like.

https://www.beforetheflood.com/explo...limate-change/

Old 09-10-2017, 03:44 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
We should follow the left wing mantra by "Questioning Authority".
Follow whatever mantra you want. I instead prefer to look at the verified data which demonstrates that the observed warming of our planet is as much as what's been predicted in the measured increase in human produced CO2 (carbon dioxide).
Quote:
Perhaps we should question the current authoritarians on Climate Change who follow a biased unscientific DOGMA.
I don't view the political puppet climate deniers as authoritarians on the subject. Yes they do love to spew their biased completely unsubstantiated unscientific DOGMA. Those who are not well versed in the sciences cling to this DOGMA like it's their new found bible. Do you ever wonder why it's mostly those who are not scientifically literate that cling to this DOGMA?

Climate science is easy to understand...a person who took high school science and math should be able to understand the basics. It's simply looking at heat transfers. It's not rocket science.
Quote:
Instead of being truly scientific and testing and retesting their hypothesis, they simply try to find evidence to justify their unscientific dogmatic beliefs.
Not sure who or what you are talking about here. Care to provide some examples?
Quote:
They ignore any evidence that suggests mankind actually has very little effect in causing climate change.
Again not sure who you are referring. I don't know of anyone other then climate deniers who are ignoring the fact that humans are the cause of our current climate change.
Quote:
Blind faith belongs in religion because it's based in belief without true understanding. It's the same behavior we see with climate change deniers.

Science is the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment. Science works because it's a process that gives us untainted and unbiased objectionable truths.
Quote:
This tells me that you don't understand how climate change occurs.
Quote:
So how does climate change actually operate? If we belief the Earth experienced an Ice Age, then we already know climate change happened.
You have a lot of education to catch up on before you continue posting about the subject of climate change. You clearly have no concept of anything related to the history of the earth's climate, what contributed to the patterns observed in the past and you clearly fail to see the extremely long period of time after the earths climate calmed down and was stable for most of the past 10,000 years. Perhaps you can start with the formation of our Solar System and the formation of the planet and then study the geologic temperature record...this might help expand your ability to understand how climate change occurs. What were the causes in the past and compare this to the current causes.

Global average temperature has remained relatively stable and low compared to earlier hothouse conditions in our planet's history. Now, temperatures are among the highest experienced not only in the “recent” past...i.e...the past 11,000 years or so, during which modern human civilization developed.
Quote:
Whats the solution, changing all cars to electric. Then how do we get rid of fuel cell batteries. Apparently they are just as destructive to the environment as car exhaust.
Human population control would be a good first step.

Last edited by Matadora; 09-10-2017 at 04:43 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 03:50 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I didn't hear any stories about litterbugs - what happened?
Just the people who crowded the beaches didn't pack their trash. There weren't enough trash cans to handle the crowds leaving many of the beaches littered. I really wish some people weren't lazy and would have some consideration for mother earth and the rest of us. That trash just finds its way into the ocean or bushes.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
And denial on the Left of so much other science:

Gender differences; and
IQ differences...

To name but two.
Actually, scientific studies DOES accept and have proven many GENDER differences. IQ is an entirely different matter, however. Do you mean neuronal connections? Do you mean white matter vs. gray matter? Do you mean physical strength? That really depends on what you mean exactly by that generic statement. Spacial, sense of color or smell, the ability to ward off disease? The ability to read spacial, visual, scent cues? This isn't a political issue at all.

Science is based on data, research, identifiable facts, studies all starting from theories...not political leanings. Like how egg and sperm meet---that's not a LEFT wing conspiracy theory, but I'm sure there are some ignorant folk out there that manage to NOT believe we have descended from animals--mammals--primates, but some man's rib.

I'm not sure where you're getting any denial on this sort of thing. Anecdotal evidence based on political editorials from conspiracy theorists and ramblings of radio hosts looking to make big bucks off of vitamin supplements or miracle cures isn't based on anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland