Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 04:48 PM

56 posts, read 94,552 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm planning a girls trip to SF in March. Everyone says "You don't need a car in SF". But none of us has ever traveled without a car before...so this is a little out of our comfort zone. We don't use public transit either, so that's not something we're familiar with.

We're going to be staying in the Marina district. Taxi estimates it to be around $70 for a ride from the airport. Are there other options? Would uber or other services be cheaper? Are there any other alternatives that I'm might not be aware of?

We're renting a car because we are planning a day trip to Napa and we want to hit a couple of malls. But we're trying to save as much as we can were we can so I'm starting to look into this. Maven car sharing is right around the corner from us, but I haven't read much positive reviews. Any other suggestions?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 05:05 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,043,098 times
Just use Uber... it's cheap, easy, fast, safe... I'd never use a taxi in SF, bunch of con-artists taking the long route when they know their passengers aren't familiar with the streets

Old 09-18-2017, 05:52 PM

56 posts, read 94,552 times
Thank you for your reply.

Is Uber as dependable as a taxi service? We will be traveilng with 5, so I'm not sure if it's harder to coordinate for a bigger group.

As you can see..we aren't familiar with Uber either. :-)

Old 09-18-2017, 09:31 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,043,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajoy View Post
Thank you for your reply.

Is Uber as dependable as a taxi service? We will be traveilng with 5, so I'm not sure if it's harder to coordinate for a bigger group.

As you can see..we aren't familiar with Uber either. :-)
It's the most reliable thing out there haha because you can track where they are before pick up, the fastest route when you get picked up, and where you are while in the car so you know you arent going somewhere else or whatever. Lyft is also good, its the exact same as Uber pretty much.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:25 PM

213 posts, read 252,963 times
Uber, duh. It's headquartered in SF and is basically the way to get around if you don't have a car.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:20 PM

3,251 posts, read 6,316,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajoy View Post
Hello! I'm planning a girls trip to SF in March. Everyone says "You don't need a car in SF". But none of us has ever traveled without a car before...so this is a little out of our comfort zone. We don't use public transit either, so that's not something we're familiar with.

We're going to be staying in the Marina district. Taxi estimates it to be around $70 for a ride from the airport. Are there other options? Would uber or other services be cheaper? Are there any other alternatives that I'm might not be aware of?
People who say you don't need a car in SF don't know what they are talking about and generally limit themselves to the tourist areas east of Van Ness Blvd. If your hotel has free parking in the Marina I would get a weekly car rental. The rental rates are about $200-250/week cheaper if you rent from a non-airport location.

I see Uber as a potential problem if you have 5 passengers since most vehicles have room for four passengers. You could book an Uber SUV but that will cost more.

In order to use public transit you must research the system and find out which bus lines to take. The 30 bus will be your most useful bus if you stay in the Marina area.

https://www.sfmta.com/sites/default/...20Stockton.pdf

Attractions in the western part of the city like Twin Peaks,Legion of Honor, Land's End, Ocean Beach & Golden Gate Park are best accessed by car. Also it is great to drive down the coast highway to Pacifica, Montara Beach, Pillar Point Harbor and Half Moon Bay. Muir Woods is also a great place to visit but only on a weekday due to weekend crowds. I suggest using public transit for the tourist part of the city east of Van Ness and driving to attractions in the western part of the city.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:34 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,987,673 times
You can take the BART (a commuter rail train) from San Francisco's airport deeper into the city. I think the Embarcadero Station is the closest to where you are staying. https://www.bart.gov/guide/airport/outbound_sfo

Old 09-20-2017, 12:28 AM

61 posts, read 452,410 times
We just got back from a family trip to San Fran a few weeks ago. You can walk to a lot of places, and for everything else we used Uber. Far better than a taxi! They have different levels of Uber (both for number of passengers and for luxury level). You choose that on the app when you request a ride.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,415 times
With 5 people rent a car.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:24 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,823,604 times
On any given day, there are a estimated several thousand Lyft & Uber cars prowling the streets of SF. Last time I used Lyft, 2 or 3 min after I ordered the ride, the car showed up. If you don't use a SMART phone, there are services, for a modest fee, will order the ride for you.

Report finds 5,700 Uber, Lyft drivers operating on San Francisco streets during typical weekday | abc7news.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland