Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2018, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 607 times

Advertisements

I tried googling for a post about my situation but I couldn't really find one same as mine.

So finished my undergrad last Spring 2017 in Data Science. I had 0 related work or internship experience coming out of college. Also, not that many stellar projects which are mostly just school stuff. 7 months of looking for a job but 0 luck. I just received lot of automated rejection emails and I got maybe a few phone screens but I never moved forward after that (some ghosted, some emailed rejections).

I actually just got a job but it does not align to the skills that I learned from college and the only reason why I took it is because I'm broke af and I need to pay my loans. The current job I got is pretty much just data entry. IKR, so much for knowing Python, R and Java.

Here's my problem - I just got a voicemail and email from this recruiter who I was working with about a data analyst position. This is probably way more aligned to my skill set and probably way more helpful if I really want a career as an analyst or a data scientist. I haven't replied to her, but yes, I am very interested in position even if it's very unlikely for me to even get it because of the same problems that I've had for months. I know I'm being really negative about it. Should I still express interest or even apply to jobs more related to what I actually want to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 10:39 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,996,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by project-vayne View Post
I tried googling for a post about my situation but I couldn't really find one same as mine.

So finished my undergrad last Spring 2017 in Data Science. I had 0 related work or internship experience coming out of college. Also, not that many stellar projects which are mostly just school stuff. 7 months of looking for a job but 0 luck. I just received lot of automated rejection emails and I got maybe a few phone screens but I never moved forward after that (some ghosted, some emailed rejections).

I actually just got a job but it does not align to the skills that I learned from college and the only reason why I took it is because I'm broke af and I need to pay my loans. The current job I got is pretty much just data entry. IKR, so much for knowing Python, R and Java.

Here's my problem - I just got a voicemail and email from this recruiter who I was working with about a data analyst position. This is probably way more aligned to my skill set and probably way more helpful if I really want a career as an analyst or a data scientist. I haven't replied to her, but yes, I am very interested in position even if it's very unlikely for me to even get it because of the same problems that I've had for months. I know I'm being really negative about it. Should I still express interest or even apply to jobs more related to what I actually want to do?
Whether or not you believe you'd actually get the job, all opportunities should be followed up with--even if just to keep you sharp with regards to interviewing.

Even my husband, who's had a career for 23+ years in tech and works for a company that's doing very well continues to interview and speak to recruiters to maintain his interviewing/negotiating/communication/networking skills.

There have actually been times when a recruiter he's become familiar with will call him with a new opportunity from just getting to know him and his skillset. So don't be discouraged and keep working towards your goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland