Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,870 times

Advertisements

i am looking into renting a apartment at the address 1770 Broadway, Oakland, and was wondering how safe the area is. Any issues I'd be looking at, or anything other information that I should be aware of before signing the lease contract. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 06:58 PM

39 posts, read 45,410 times
I like that area...lots of good restaurants, easy transportation, grocery stores, good weather, etc etc etc.

Lots of people that aren't very familiar with the area will talk **** about that area....

Old 05-27-2018, 09:37 PM

655 posts, read 1,984,436 times
It's a relatively safe neighborhood, with lots of nightlife and people out and about these days. There is a homeless population in downtown Oakland and you will see people out on the streets at night, so if you're coming from someplace where that is uncommon that is something to be aware of (but not especially a safety concern--just a sad reality of not enough housing or services in the Bay Area). The other big thing to be aware of is that there is major construction planned where the building next door is--that would be a dealbreaker for me but if they have factored it into the rents it might be worth it for you. If they haven't, you should be asking them to.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:31 AM

181 posts, read 319,730 times
If you have to ask, probably not safe enough for you.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:34 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,243 times
Great area for bars, restaurants, public transportation. Keep in mind, both sides of that building are scheduled to be developed with 30+ story apartment buildings. That could be a year of construction. There is also a pot dispensary in the building but I wouldn't be concerned. You may be. Lots of new apts will be coming online soon nearby. If you have deep pockets and can wait, there will be Lots of brand new options. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:25 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Will you have a chance to actually see the unit, before you sign? It's not recommended to sign a lease online without seeing the unit. Unscrupulous LL's/managers can pull a bait-and-switch on you, once the contract is signed.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:25 AM

522 posts, read 738,193 times
That's Downtown Oakland, which is a generally safe area. There a large police presence there and a ton of foot traffic.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:00 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,787,588 times
that apartment is right nover a bart station very covenient to get to san francisco and near some very nice restaurants, bars and first friday.this area has become popular with young hipster and profesional types
that being said this area is a central urban area and if you are more comfortable in suburbia it may not be for you

Old 06-02-2018, 11:43 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy88 View Post
If you have to ask, probably not safe enough for you.
Not to be flip but this is often a great indicator.

I've lived in Oakland most of my life... as did parents, grandparents, great grandparents...

The city is constantly evolving... areas that were long ago written off are now thriving... lots of new investment and economic activity...

I've had friends living in "Safe" cities bemoan the fact their kids and grand-kids seek out and chose Oakland...

They said they left in the 60's and 70's and now it has come full circle with offspring embracing the urban East Bay.

Ruth advice is solid... always wise to check out an area before committing... this is more than a one time drive-by. The building, neighborhood at various times and days of the week.

A lot of my friends wouldn't live anywhere else... and about as many would never live here... that is how strong the sentiment runs.

Parts of Oakland can be significantly closer to parts of SF even if you live in SF... at least time wise...

Old 06-09-2018, 11:20 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,229,128 times
Why don’t you look up the crime stats on the Oakland website instead of relying on anecdotal evidence ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland