Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 03:15 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,255,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Rather than snipe at each other, why don't we work together to make the transportation issue better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 10:08 PM

14 posts, read 9,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
There are parts of Houston that don't even have curbs and gutters, though. A drainage ditch in the middle of the city is 3rd world to me.
Annexations.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:31 PM

653 posts, read 463,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusPrime View Post
Annexations.
I used to live in the Heights and there were streets that had been part of Houston for 100 years that still had ditches and no sidewalks.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:40 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,255,837 times
Quote:
I used to live in the Heights and there were streets that had been part of Houston for 100 years that still had ditches and no sidewalks.
How is this relevant to the bad roads on San Fran or Oakland?

3 Bay Area cities have worst maintained roads in U.S.

There is no excuse for the poorly maintained roads and freeways in any part of CA especially for the amount of taxes the state takes from us. Californians seem to not be bothered by this glaring fact.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:55 PM

653 posts, read 463,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
How is this relevant to the bad roads on San Fran or Oakland?

3 Bay Area cities have worst maintained roads in U.S.

There is no excuse for the poorly maintained roads and freeways in any part of CA especially for the amount of taxes the state takes from us. Californians seem to not be bothered by this glaring fact.
There was discussion earlier comparing Houston roads to SF's and someone said SF's were "3rd world". I commented that to me, having ditches in the middle of the city instead of gutters was 3rd world and someone said it was because of Houston's annexations that they have ditches. Those ditches have been there for about 100 years, though.

Back on topic, no doubt you are right about our roads needing to be better maintained for the amount we pay. It does seem like there's a lot of road work in my neighborhood, though. Maybe they're finally listening.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:35 AM

14 posts, read 9,061 times
Quote:
I know. What happened is that as the city grew, it annexed so much land which included plentiful rural territory (hence the ditches), but the city never updated the infrastructure.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/texasho...rm-events/amp/

Old 11-01-2018, 08:35 AM

31 posts, read 38,498 times
As some that has lived in both Houston and San Francisco, I would say that Houston's freeways are in better shape, however the roads in the city in Houston are worse! Westminster Road and Montrose Blvd (HTX) I feel damaged my car's suspension more than Van Ness Ave (SF). When I moved to Houston from SF, I felt like I moved t a tacky suburb, even though I lived in one of the most trendiest areas there (Heights). The streets lacks sidewalks, had exposed draining ditch, would flood with little drop of rain, very unsafe city to walk anywhere (even in the areas local think are very "urban") since the redneck drivers there HATE pedestrians and will not yield even at a crosswalk, streets are empty. Driving in Houston freeways also feels more stressful due to all the horrible drivers out there. The amount of tailgating and road range by the insecure pickup truck/large SUV drivers in mind blowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland