Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 05:45 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,709 times

Advertisements

It's easy, you get past it. Adapt. Live differently. Is that so difficult? The entire post is on exactly how to do that. There's a certain basic minimum income to live in a place. In SF that's around 35k. If you can't hack that in SF you can't hack it here and need to try another city. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 05:49 PM

302 posts, read 933,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
It's easy, you get past it. Adapt. Live differently. Is that so difficult? The entire post is on exactly how to do that. There's a certain basic minimum income to live in a place. In SF that's around 35k. If you can't hack that in SF you can't hack it here and need to try another city. End of story.
$35K???? I couldn't have the lifestyle I wanted on $45K. I make more than twice that now and life's a lot easier here.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:09 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gellio_sf View Post
I personally would be for a hike in taxes if there were enough programs in place to help the homeless (food, shelters, etc...). I'd love to see a raise in taxes if they made it illegal to pan-handle or sleep on the streets - the choice being go to a shelter or jail. Believe me, it'd make life more pleasant here.

I know how the other half lives. Friends of mine in Minneapolis are buying condos for less than I pay in rent, but they live in Minneapolis and I live here. Life is too short to not live in your #1 choice IMO.

I make a decent living, but I doubt I'll ever own (at least on my own) in SF. I'm fine with that (right now). Who knows what the future will bring, but right now I just don't see myself being happy any where else.

You get what you pay for - IMO SF is a bargin.

And this is exactly part of the problem with the mentality of the Bay Area. So many people with high incomes who just say 'lets throw some more money at the problem'. Are you kidding me? Do you know how much money SF already wastes each year with no accountability on homeless programs? Since when has govt solved social problems with more tax money? Mendocino County, where my dad lives, has a huge problem with the homeless now b/c they have the best benefits in the state.

Also when I say the "other half" I'm not talking about your friends in other states buying condos. I'm talking about the working class people struggling to make ends meet. I just had to laugh that you would consider some middle class friends in Minnesota the "other half"! That is another thing I can't stand about the Bay Area, the limousine liberal mentality and I'm not conservative or a republican at all.

maybe part of the problem is I've only lived in the Bay Area and San Diego so I can't compare it to living in other states. I think my mind is warped now by these high prices when I consider San Diego "affordable" compared to here. CA is great overall but I just don't see how it's worth this much money. It should be more expensive than elsewhere b/c it has a lot to offer, but the prices now, especially in the Bay Area, are just over the top and beyond sustainable. It doesn't have to be this expensive and we shouldn't just sit back and take it up the rear is MY POINT.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:28 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,990,778 times
Yes, most people will be absolutely fine as long as they stay single and child free and don't mind having a roommate or two when they're in their late thirties/forties. Most SF natives that are of a certain age group (gen x'rs, mostly) are forced out because the reality hits that ever purchasing a home in one's hometown is impossible- even if their income (by standards everywhere else in the US) would consider one "wealthy". It's just the sad reality now days. Many of my Irish friends used to say that San Francisco is Tir na Nog- a fairy tale which translates as "Land of Youth". Whenever I get the itch to move back, my friends tell me it ain't the same as before, ie. Families AND singles of ALL walks of life and backgrounds. Rich AND ,well, not so rich. Now it's just single AND rich, or homeless. Yes, it's just the way it is and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:49 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
I guess that is a big gripe about mine with SF too, it's just not what is used to be. It's a boutique city filled with singles with money and has lost much of it's diversity it used to have.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:25 PM

161 posts, read 697,256 times
SF is scarily expensive but living within your means is key to being happy wherever you live. I have found that certain sacrafices make a big difference in the long run. Unfortunately, I have concluded that SF is too expensive for me and my wife to move to. But alas, someday i hope that will change.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:28 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,159,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
maybe part of the problem is I've only lived in the Bay Area and San Diego so I can't compare it to living in other states. I think my mind is warped now by these high prices when I consider San Diego "affordable" compared to here. CA is great overall but I just don't see how it's worth this much money. It should be more expensive than elsewhere b/c it has a lot to offer, but the prices now, especially in the Bay Area, are just over the top and beyond sustainable. It doesn't have to be this expensive and we shouldn't just sit back and take it up the rear is MY POINT.
Define "sustainable." I tried to chase a $1220 1-bd apartment on Forest Hill, which is a good but rather nondescript neighborhood. They had over 200 applicants in two days of open house, including an attorney who pulled some strings behind the scenes, and the place was an utter disaster. I just walked away in disbelief. The competition for affordable housing in San Francisco is something you have to experience to believe.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:23 AM

495 posts, read 1,831,141 times
Quote:
It doesn't have to be this expensive and we shouldn't just sit back and take it up the rear is MY POINT.
Quote:
I guess that is a big gripe about mine with SF too, it's just not what is used to be. It's a boutique city filled with singles with money and has lost much of it's diversity it used to have.

Sav858, I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass with my response to you, but why do you choose to remain in SF? I would not live someplace where I was as miserable or dissatisfied. We create our experiences you know?

SF doesn't have to be expensive, but it is and yes it is relatively 'non-expensive' or 'very expensive' depending on whom you ask. However, I've bumped into a few millionnaires who would also say it's expensive, they tend to be the most frugal people anyway. It's why they're millionnaires.

You really have to consider the economics of the world, the US and California right now. We are not doing that well. The dollar is not doing that well. The economy sucks overall. Take a global economy or finance class at city college or something. Get educated. California's economy is considered on the same level as a separate unique country, compared to the rest of the world. It has a highly fluctuating economy...that's one reason for the high cost of living. I mean it's just one little reason why SF is expensive to live. I refuse to list the rest, which are obvious, lol. There is a trickle down effect happening everywhere in this country...so pick which place you want to complain about next very carefully.

Life's too long...enjoy it and stop affirming SF is expensive. The more you say this, the more you make it true for yourself. I was hardly rolling in loads of cash when I lived in San Francisco and I was able to make end's meet. I wanted to live in the City and accepted the fact that it has a high cost of living. When I decided I wanted my dollar to go further, I chose to move. Simple as that.

Regarding the change, every city or town changes over time. The only thing in life that is constant is change. Don't remember who quoted this, but I'm sure you've heard it before.

Did you even read the post that began this thread?

Peace.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:43 AM

24 posts, read 117,853 times
Thumbs up thanks Northern California

Northern California,

Very well said. I appreciate your positive, refreshing and realistic post about city life in San Fran (or any major city) Pleasure to read! Kudos

Old 04-09-2008, 07:50 AM

93 posts, read 234,401 times
Why can't people who complaint about SF being expensive just move??? I don't understand. The reason it is so expensive is because there are so many people here creating too much demand for everything (mainly housing) - even people who are miserable being here!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland