Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 04:02 PM

186 posts, read 287,271 times

Advertisements

Hi all- hoping I'm in the right place. We're a young family looking for our ideal location and thinking it's somewhere around the Sonoma County area, but looking for input.

These things rank high on our list:
1 - WEATHER. We hate winter and would ideally live somewhere mostly sunny with mild winters
2- Get out and recreate. Lots of natural areas to run, bike, etc nearby (not talking bout city greenways or parks)
3- Good schools
4- Find a house with at least 3 bedrooms for $600k (or less!)? We're ok with not being right in the middle of town
5- Artsy, outdoorsy, recreation-minded, healthy area

We do not need to be near a major metro since we can both work remotely. Somewhat close to a Trader Joes or Whole Foods would be a plus, but not required.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 05:14 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energee View Post
Hi all- hoping I'm in the right place. We're a young family looking for our ideal location and thinking it's somewhere around the Sonoma County area, but looking for input.

These things rank high on our list:
1 - WEATHER. We hate winter and would ideally live somewhere mostly sunny with mild winters
2- Get out and recreate. Lots of natural areas to run, bike, etc nearby (not talking bout city greenways or parks)
3- Good schools
4- Find a house with at least 3 bedrooms for $600k (or less!)? We're ok with not being right in the middle of town
5- Artsy, outdoorsy, recreation-minded, healthy area

We do not need to be near a major metro since we can both work remotely. Somewhat close to a Trader Joes or Whole Foods would be a plus, but not required.

Thanks!

I'd say somewhere more like Roseville or Rocklin, which are nice suburbs of Sacramento.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:18 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Yup. OP, you have a Sacramento budget, not a Bay Area budget. Or, if you want to be close to, or on the coast, you could go further north to Mendocino or Fort Bragg. Great areas for kids, good for outdoor activities, near the redwoods.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-16328?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-99150?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean.../Fort-Bragg_CA

Mendocino:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-36089?view=qv

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-09-2019 at 05:33 PM..

Old 01-09-2019, 05:58 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yup. OP, you have a Sacramento budget, not a Bay Area budget. Or, if you want to be close to, or on the coast, you could go further north to Mendocino or Fort Bragg. Great areas for kids, good for outdoor activities, near the redwoods.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-16328?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-99150?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean.../Fort-Bragg_CA

Mendocino:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-36089?view=qv

I think the OP liking Whole Foods and Trader Joes tells me they will dislike living in Mendocino or Fort Bragg. Also, the weather there is the opposite of what they want. I once looked at a hotel that was for sale there and Fort Bragg just looked like a small run down town high in poverty. Mendocino was nice for rich tourists who want nature. Their budget, their weather preference, their outdoor wants, good schools and healthy grocery shopping is why I recommended a nice suburb of Sacramento as it fits all the above. Just my two cents though, I just felt that part of California was lost in time, but not in a good way. I remember the hotel owner having to drive to pick up one of his employees because he got drunk and was still not okay to drive. Being shocked about this and asked why don't you let him go and he said it's tough to find workers in general here, so tells me probably lack of motivation, education, etc.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:24 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Your budget is better for SoCal. If you want to be on the coast, try Ventura or the nearby areas.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I think the OP liking Whole Foods and Trader Joes tells me they will dislike living in Mendocino or Fort Bragg. Also, the weather there is the opposite of what they want. I once looked at a hotel that was for sale there and Fort Bragg just looked like a small run down town high in poverty. Mendocino was nice for rich tourists who want nature. Their budget, their weather preference, their outdoor wants, good schools and healthy grocery shopping is why I recommended a nice suburb of Sacramento as it fits all the above. Just my two cents though, I just felt that part of California was lost in time, but not in a good way. I remember the hotel owner having to drive to pick up one of his employees because he got drunk and was still not okay to drive. Being shocked about this and asked why don't you let him go and he said it's tough to find workers in general here, so tells me probably lack of motivation, education, etc.
You're saying the Mendocino Coast might be too foggy for them? It certainly has the mild winters. The fog keeps things cool. But...ok. It's up to the OP, obviously. Mendocino is nicer than Ft Bragg, and therefore pricier, but there are still properties affordable to the OP. Just throwing some alternative ideas out there.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:51 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Believe it or not, the town of Napa is "inexpensive" compared to the areas just north (or east) of SF - and it would offer the warmer weather you want, since the coastal towns would likely be too foggy/cool for your taste. It's a nice town that has a LOT more than just wineries! I actually worked at the library there for a short time, and it wasn't at all what I had expected. Don't know much about the schools, but otherwise it might fit the bill.

I did a search on realtor.com, and found 50 single-family homes listed under $600K. Check out this beauty: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-22852?view=qv

Old 01-09-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
You're saying the Mendocino Coast might be too foggy for them? It certainly has the mild winters. The fog keeps things cool. But...ok. It's up to the OP, obviously.
Since they specified SUNNY on their wish list, I would agree on the Mendocino Coast being too foggy. It's certainly mild in terms of year-round temps, especially compared to other parts of the country - but it does get that coastal fog, which can roll in thick even during the summer. I'm not exactly an expert on the area, but every time I've been there (or driven through) it seemed rather gloomy. I personally love that sort of weather, though.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Since they specified SUNNY on their wish list, I would agree on the Mendocino Coast being too foggy. It's certainly mild in terms of year-round temps, especially compared to other parts of the country - but it does get that coastal fog, which can roll in thick even during the summer. I'm not exactly an expert on the area, but every time I've been there (or driven through) it seemed rather gloomy. I personally love that sort of weather, though.
The fog up there must have a different regime, than on parts of the Central Coast. In Santa Cruz, the fog always burns off by 10 or 11 a.m., the rolls in again around 5 p.m. So there's always plenty of sun.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
The fog up there must have a different regime, than on parts of the Central Coast. In Santa Cruz, the fog always burns off by 10 or 11 a.m., the rolls in again around 5 p.m. So there's always plenty of sun.
Yes, I’d say it is cooler and foggier than Santa Cruz! Think more Pacifica or Sunset district kinda weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland