Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 06:44 AM

323 posts, read 697,510 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know just how easy or difficult it will be to find a two or three bedroom apt or house in a nice, safe neighborhood in the bay area that will rent to a couple who happen to have a dog?
We are moving to the area this summer from New England and need to find this sort of accomodation on a temporary basis until we find a house to purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 06:47 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
What is your budget, and what part of the Bay Area do you want to live in? And what breed/size is your dog? I got lucky with my place, but it is tough to find a place that allows dogs! Try craigslist first, and enter the criteria that fits your needs (you can select "allows dogs")... that's where I found my last 3 or 4 homes, so it's definitely a great resource.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:27 AM

As for my rent allowance, I am not sure about that either what is the going rate for such a thing. Would $1000-1250 be about right?

Old 04-14-2008, 09:21 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
You'd have to multiply that by 3 in most areas. Will you have to commute?

Old 04-14-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daepro View Post
As for my rent allowance, I am not sure about that either what is the going rate for such a thing. Would $1000-1250 be about right?
Sonarrat is right, you'll have to multiply that by at LEAST 2 (more like 3 in most areas) if you want safe and 3-bedroom... studio apartments around here rent for $1000-1200, and houses can go for anywhere from $2000-4000+ depending on the neighborhood. Like I said above, I got lucky, and managed to find a nice dog-friendly 3-bedroom for $2195 - but that's pretty unusual here! Are you looking to live in the city itself, and if not, how far are you willing to go?

Old 04-14-2008, 07:02 PM

Hmm that is a high rent. Is that for SF? We were thinking of the Lake Merritt area in Oakland or someplace like that. How much do you think rent in a decent 2-3 room place will be in that town?
It seems like for me whenever I estimate how much something will cost I am consistently way off base.
Thanks for the news and setting me straight on this issue.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:22 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
You mentioned a house - I assumed you wanted something detached. It sounds more like what you want is a 2-bed 1-bath apartment (3 rooms, kitchen, and full bath), which you can get even in San Francisco for under $2000 pretty consistently. The building I live in rents them out for $1275, but I missed my chance to get one and had to settle for a 1-bedroom.. Lake Merritt should only be a little bit more than that. It's less expensive on the east side of the bridge. The problem will be dog friendliness.. they may take smaller breeds but if you have a Great Dane you'll have a really hard time.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daepro View Post
Hmm that is a high rent. Is that for SF? We were thinking of the Lake Merritt area in Oakland or someplace like that. How much do you think rent in a decent 2-3 room place will be in that town?
It seems like for me whenever I estimate how much something will cost I am consistently way off base.
Thanks for the news and setting me straight on this issue.
Yeah, I was referring to San Francisco itself - sorry! Rent is a bit cheaper in the East Bay, though Lake Merritt is on the more expensive end. Have you checked around on craigslist?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
You mentioned a house - I assumed you wanted something detached. It sounds more like what you want is a 2-bed 1-bath apartment (3 rooms, kitchen, and full bath), which you can get even in San Francisco for under $2000 pretty consistently. The building I live in rents them out for $1275, but I missed my chance to get one and had to settle for a 1-bedroom.. Lake Merritt should only be a little bit more than that. It's less expensive on the east side of the bridge. The problem will be dog friendliness.. they may take smaller breeds but if you have a Great Dane you'll have a really hard time.
Actually, it would be easier to get a place with a Great Dane, than with a 50lb Pit Bull. But the poster told me (in a DM) his dogs are small, so that definitely makes things easier. My dog is about 38lbs, and my landlord said "maximum 25lbs" in his ad... I brought Rudy with me to see the place, and he bent the rules when he met my sweet little guy. Always helps to bring the doggies house-hunting with you (unless they're real terrors), so landlords can see how well-behaved they are. I also made a "pet resume" for Rudy, which really impressed people when I visited a place... it has his basic "stats," personal references, vet & vaccination information, behavioral traits, history of living in rentals, and my own experience in raising/working with dogs. Someone gave me that idea a long time ago, and it has really helped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland