Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 03:38 PM

23,585 posts, read 24,114,904 times

Advertisements

Fremont to Pleasanton commute is a “reverse commute” in the morning, against traffic. It’s normally light. Same for the afternoon in the opposite direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalhetal View Post
Thanks all. All your answers definitely gave me some direction and cleared doubts.

One question: how is the commute from Fremont to Pleasanton - traffic wise, in peak hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 04:14 PM

19 posts, read 14,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
For a family of 4, expect to rent a 2-bedroom apartment. You might be allowed to rent a 1-bedroom apartment, but competition is fierce and most landlords will not bother with you when they can easily get a single person or couple instead. I wouldn't worry about the drive from Fremont to Pleasanton because your budget precludes Fremont from consideration. Also, I would advise against moving here unless your husband's job pays well over $100k annually. For a family of 4, $117k (2018 figure) is considered low income here in the Bay Area ($90k if you measure Alameda County only) and you'll have to sacrifice all your leisure activities to make ends meet.

I agree. Well, he is getting just above $100k here and they plan to match as per California standards so we'll know soon. And I also expect to earn about the same amount. I tried looking at the rental apartments and we would need to increase our accommodation budget for sure.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:51 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,269,129 times
It's a shame there's so little in the Tri Valley that's in your price range but I encourage you to focus on Dublin, Pleasanton, Livermore and even San Ramon. if you aren't too picky this area would give you everything you want. Moving to CA just to get stuck commuting and STILL not have a great place to live doesn't sound like a good deal. Try to stay close to the job you know you have and not get hung up on where you MIGHT get a job in IT. There are IT jobs all over the place, you probably won't land at Google or Apple so getting to SV doesn't have to play into the discussion. What you don't want is to get a job and both you and your H have to commute to different parts of the Bay Area while paying for childcare on top of it. Are you even sure you'll be allowed to work here? I'm not sure how this stuff works between countries.

For the record. I wouldn't more here on $100k and I only have myself to worry about.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:08 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,113,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalhetal View Post
My husband's income will be around $100k, and initially I won't have a job. Our budget for rental accommodation would be around $2200.
100k for a family of 4? That's near poverty level for the Bay Area.

$2200 may barely get you a seedy 2 bedroom in a bad area with a long commute or a far out exurb. You could try Airbnb rentals in Tracy or something until you get a job.

I have a kid and daycare costs are terrible here. You'll prob spend at least $1500 a month for the 2 year old once you get a job.

I'd focus on getting a job offer before you even consider moving here

Old 10-19-2019, 09:45 AM

As said before, my H makes little above $100k here and the salary is going to be matched as per CA standards, we'll know in a couple of weeks how much exactly. I am confident we both will together earn AT LEAST $200k. And yes, I can work in US.

Thanks for your inputs.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:25 PM

538 posts, read 1,192,833 times
I would strongly suggest a preliminary trip before you commit to moving here. Unless you see how things are in person, it's difficult to get the full picture. Even though $200K is decent money for a family of 4, by no means it will make your life worry free. Coincidentally, it happens to be the very close to the mean family income for zip code 94566 (one of the Pleasanton zip codes). 43.6% of married couple families earn more than $200K there. Besides trying to get a trip out here, I would also focus on making sure that your husband negotiates a good raise.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:39 AM

662 posts, read 1,283,415 times
I would budget at least $2400 for a two-bedroom apartment and live in Fremont. Pleasanton is too expensive. You could find one for $2200 but it takes more compromises and a little resourcefulness. Otherwise live in Livermore if that budget has no room to sway. It’s cheaper than Fremont.

I would recommend Fremont though at $2400, because it’s in the bay area and your choices of jobs will be wider. You’re husband’s commute is not really a big issue. It’ll be a little over 30 minutes, maybe less if he drives fast.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
I would budget at least $2400 for a two-bedroom apartment and live in Fremont. Pleasanton is too expensive. You could find one for $2200 but it takes more compromises and a little resourcefulness. Otherwise live in Livermore if that budget has no room to sway. It’s cheaper than Fremont.

I would recommend Fremont though at $2400, because it’s in the bay area and your choices of jobs will be wider. You’re husband’s commute is not really a big issue. It’ll be a little over 30 minutes, maybe less if he drives fast.
What kind of comprises, if I may ask - just trying to get clarity. I was giving a thought to Fremont, same for the reasons you mentioned.

How much time would it take to travel for me to go to San Francisco or San Jose by public transit from Fremont? I was checking Google maps, but hearing from any personal experiences would be great.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peninsular View Post
I would strongly suggest a preliminary trip before you commit to moving here. Unless you see how things are in person, it's difficult to get the full picture. Even though $200K is decent money for a family of 4, by no means it will make your life worry free. Coincidentally, it happens to be the very close to the mean family income for zip code 94566 (one of the Pleasanton zip codes). 43.6% of married couple families earn more than $200K there. Besides trying to get a trip out here, I would also focus on making sure that your husband negotiates a good raise.
I am thinking to make a trip, and yes, a good offer is certainly needed.
Another point is we don't plan to live in California longer, maybe 4-5 years.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:48 PM

410 posts, read 452,755 times
American public schools are locally financed, so if quality matters to you, try to live in the most upscale area you can afford. Before you have your heart set on Fremont, check the rankings of public schools there. (They're online.) Fremont has grown and gentrified, but it wasn't so long ago that people called it "the arm pit of the Bay."

Also, look into whether they offer after-school care and how much that costs. When it gets closer, call the school(s) to see if they have any openings in after-school care. When your kiddo gets out of school before 3 PM but you don't get home for another 3 hours - it's a problem.

As for a Fremont-San Francisco commute by BART: a friend in Union City (just north of Fremont) takes it to San Francisco. An hour one way, plus the time it takes for her to walk from the station to the office. She works an 8 hour day, so the commute makes hers a 10-hour day, every day. Yes, it gets old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland